Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Science Diet Z/D?

Denise DayDenise Day HolmdelMember Posts: 1,618
edited 6 August, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
Does anyone know of an equivalent to Science Diet z/d? I have food allergy problems. I began vomiting last fall and this is the food that stopped the problem. Now we\'re reading how Science Diet isn\'t quality food, but we also don\'t want to start the vomiting again! Can anyone advise?

Comments

• Sharon MurphySharon Murphy SurreyMember Posts: 1,652
    edited 31 July, 2007
    Science Diet is a fine food and if you're doing well on it, I wouldn't worry, but I'm sure there will be other kitties here with more advice.
  • kate vonkkate vonk BoiseMember Posts: 1,313
    edited 31 July, 2007
    do you know what you are allergic too? you should try an elimination diet to find out for sure. i would recommend a grain free for allergies if you think they might be the culprit.
  • Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
    edited 31 July, 2007
    Have you tried other elimination diets before Z/d? Royal Canin has one called Hypoallergenic. It works well. It's similar to z/d: This talks about it: http://www.royalcanin.us/vetdiet/felinehypoallergenic.html Hydrolyzed Protein: Soy protein isolate digest, which is composed of low molecular weight peptides, is highly digestible and has very low antigenic potential. Skin Barrier Skin Barrier: High amounts of niacin, pantothenic acid, inositol, choline, and histidine reduce transepidermal water losses and strengthen the barrier effect of the skin. Digestive Support Digestive Support: The fermentable fibers (beet pulp, FOS) and zeolite help to balance the gastrointestinal microflora and protect the intestinal mucosa. Natural Preservative Natural Preservative: Naturally preserved with mixed tocopherols, rosemary extract, and citric acid.
  • Denise DayDenise Day HolmdelMember Posts: 1,618
    edited 31 July, 2007
    Thanks for the advice, guys. I haven't tried any other- I think Royal Canin is the only one that has the hypoallergenic stuff besides Hills. We don't know exactly what causes my problems, and mom and the vet are afrid to find out. I was so very sick that we're all afraid I'll go back to that bad place I was in. My situation is compounded by a heart condition, which makes everything harder. If I were to need an endoscopy, for instance, the sedation could cause me a problem. Mom has let me have tiny bits of tuna recently, and I've been OK with that. At the time my problem began, I was eating so many different types of treats, Mom has no idea what was causing the problem, but I was sick for about 3 months, with lots of nasty antibiotics in between the vomiting. Not fun!
  • kate vonkkate vonk BoiseMember Posts: 1,313
    edited 1 August, 2007
    poor guy. i know some people can cure their pets allergies by finding a food that doesn't aggrivate them (and sometimes they are environmental which a food won't solve anyway). the foods are usually cheaper than rx diets.
  • Denise DayDenise Day HolmdelMember Posts: 1,618
    edited 1 August, 2007
    Mom is probably going to go about systematically giving me different meats to see if there's one that's causing a problem. I'm a BIG cat, and I love to eat! Mom feels bad giving me only this tasteless z/d stuff. She'd like to at least be able to give me a meat snack now and again! I'd sure appreciate it too! :D
  • Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
    edited 2 August, 2007
    I was the king of reactions to food when I was alive. I had allergies so bad, I had constant ear infections and was scratching my ears to bloody stumps.....grandpa (vet) FINALLY just did a bilateral ear canal ablation (took out my ear canals) on me. I had some nerve damage (did these funky flashy things with my eyes...couldn't close my eyes easily, so would just blink with my third eyelid mom said I looked like an alien), but it all but cured my ear problems......I finally was able to keep Royal Canin Duck & Pea down without pucking. Towards the end I couldn't keep anything down no matter what. Now I am at the bridge I am eating whatever my heart desires without issues! Hopefully you will find what works for you.
  • Beth CostaBeth Costa Stoneham, MAMember Posts: 252
    edited 6 August, 2007
    Hi, My beagle had inflammatory bowel disease and was on canine Z/D. She loved it but, being a beagle, she would basically eat anything. I don't know if the same meds could be tried but prednisone helped control the symptoms for a while. It may be worth a shot.