changing food

Siobhan HaskinsSiobhan Haskins Rathnew, Co.WicklowMember Posts: 14
edited 1 August, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
hi there i have a sweet little cat called honey who is ownly 15mts old. a short while ago the vet told us to put her on adult food and when we did she became unwell and agressive. i had to put her back on kitten can anyone help?

Comments

• Vanessa BobackVanessa Boback TampaMember Posts: 3,149
    edited 31 July, 2007
    Mmm... Well Rasha is around 15 months also but I have had him off kitten food since about 3-4 months. I think the only difference between the two is there is more protein in kitten food (I'm not sure). What brand are you feeding, maybe you should switch it up a bit and get her off of kitten food. :^:
  • Ellie CarterEllie Carter SeattleMember Posts: 2,252
    edited 31 July, 2007
    Try switching out the food slowly. Sometimes change is hard on kitties, especially sudden changes. Ask your vet what he/she recommends and how to best introduce a new food. They should be able to give advice over the phone since they recommended it to be changed. Good Luck!
  • Alana RobertsAlana Roberts BrooklynMember Posts: 758
    edited 1 August, 2007
    What was she on and what did you switch her to?
  • Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
    edited 1 August, 2007
    Hey there, sometime Dietary excesses or things that are missing can cause aggression. Nutrition – Make sure that your dog or cat is getting a high quality diet with the proper balance of nutrients. For example, an all protein diet can cause anxiety or hyperactivity and chemical additives can lead to aggression or hypersensitivity. If your dog or cat begins behaving badly or has sudden changes in their demeanor, evaluate what they are eating. As the old saying goes, you are what you eat. Thiamine Deficiency Cats fed diets including large amounts of uncooked freshwater fish may develop thiamine deficiency because uncooked fish contains high levels of the enzyme, thiaminase. Signs of thiamine deficiency include an unkempt coat, hunched position, and neurological signs including altered reflexes, disturbances of balance, aggression, and possible seizures. Treatment is administration of thiamine by mouth or by injection and by rectifying the dietary problem.