Moving!!

Lisa BLisa B Western WashingtonMember Posts: 129
edited 14 August, 2007 in Cats & Travel
We are moving in a little less than a month into a bigger, better place! (Well, that's what mom tells me :))) But she has a question! We aren't taking a huge moving truck and going from one state or town to another, we are staying in the area, just across town. Mom tells me that we're just going to pack up the truck and the car and take a couple trips there and back but she wants to know where to put us! She knows that we will need to be locked into a room because she doesn't want to risk us running outside when people move stuff in and out of the house with the door open. So would the new house be better for us to be at or the old house or does it matter? Mom wants the move to be as stress-free for us as possible. Thanks in advance!! :-h

Comments

• Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 5 August, 2007
    Kale's mom, I moved across town too, a couple of months back. The apartment we moved into smelled funny at first, but I wasn't too bothered by it. What really freaked me out when mommy and daddy moved me, was the furniture moving around in preparation to being moved out. Unfortunately we moved from a 1-bedroom place to another, which means that it was hard to get me far away from the noise. Mommy would have loved to put me in the bathroom with food, water and the poo box, and let me be, but she knew that after the furniture would be moved I would freak out bad and refuse to leave the bathroom. Period. So what mommy decided to do for me on moving day is to just crate me up with some food and water inside the crate, and then put me in the bathroom until the big furniture I love to sit and play on was all picked up out of the old place. This meant that while I heard the really big stuff being moved, I didn't see it actually be moved, and I was too preoccupied with getting out of the blasted carrier that I didn't have time to focus on the fact that they were moving my furniture about! It was still pretty stressful: I called out to mom in panic a lot. Mom talked to me through the door while they moved the big furniture out the door of the old place, and eventually her constant stream of words calmed me down a little. When everything big was packed up in the truck, mommy stayed behind a half hour or so at the old place with me to give daddy some lead time, and she made sure to pack up my stuff (food bowls, poo box, toys and cat furniture) in her car (she has this car that has an open trunk space and where the backseats can be folded down, so you could put lots of stuff in the back). Then we got inside the car, and we drove over. When we got there, daddy had been working hard at moving in the furniture as quickly as possible, but he wasn't done yet. So mommy and myself (still crated), went to the kitchen, which was the one area that was already set up, and she worked on bringing in all my stuff while still continuing to talk to me about it. She made my food and poo areas as ready as possible, and kept me company. Of course, towards the end, I was getting impatient again and kept asking mommy why she wasn't letting me out yet! When it looked like daddy was about done putting up the bed (it seemed like forever, but mommy said I was only in the carrier for two hours), which was the last big piece of furniture, and is where I like to hide when I'm stressed, mommy finally let me out in the new apartment. I went to the poo box, did my business, and then went to hide. Mom and dad let me be, actually, and went to get breakfast so the new place would be quiet for a while and it would make me feel comfortable to go explore. When they got back three hours later, they found me trying to open up the boxes that were packed with books! MOL. Mom and dad knew from that point on that the hard part was past. ;) My suggestion to you is, cats hate sudden changes, so if have a lot of stuff to take along and it will require more than one back and forth trip, you can pack everything essential to make the new place look enough like the old home in a few hours, and it's probably okay to move the cats to the new place along with it, and worry about the small stuff next. Make sure that any piece of furniture that is preferred or loved comes along with them, and that you bring enough big furniture along on the first trip so that the cats know that this is their new place, and have enough familiar stuff around so they feel comfortable exploring the new stuff. For me, having the bed to hide under, and having the couch and tables around, it made a big difference. Even if it didn't look like my old home, that stuff looked enough like home to calm me down. So if one room or piece of furniture is a particular favorite hagout, definitely pack it up first, set it up right away, and leave the cats there to get comfy. Then as you unpack more, you can let them into other rooms of the house. Again, the scary parts are really the furniture being moved. It can make a heck of a lot of noise! Once there's no more furniture moving and assembing/reassembling, the cats should be fine (I turned out to be a pretty curious cat, so as it turns out, I liked inspecting all the boxes full of books and pantry stuff. At some point I made a game out of hiding behind the boxes in our living room, and was almost sad to see them all go! MOL). Mommy says that the strenght of your type of move is that it will only take a couple of days for stuff around the new place to start being and feeling "normal". She said that she's definitely not looking forward to our next move in a couple of years, because that will probably involve packing everything up, sending it away to be driven to another state by people who move furniture (I can't imagine why anyone would like moving furniture from other people's houses - I don't even like it when a table is moved a couple of inches!), and us traveling there separatedly, and then living out of a suitcase until the furniture shows up. If you think about it, that move is a lot more freaky for a cat!
  • Nanaho SawanoNanaho Sawano Member Posts: 108
    edited 5 August, 2007
    I totally hear you about the stress of moving, having just gone through the experience (not to mention, the arrival of another cat!) about a month and a half ago. My move was also across town, and the human made numerous trips over the course of a week. My feeling? You should ask to be moved either the very last trip the human makes, OR (if the human decides to move over the course of a few days) the last trip of the day the human decides to sleep at the new place for the first time. I wasn't entirely dignified myself when I moved (see my diary a month or so back...) and the human had decided to move while she had practically no furniture, but it helped that I never had to spend a night alone. (The human interjects to say that investing in a Feliway plug/diffuser might be helpful to cut down on the stress, although it's pricey. Ideally you should plug it in one day before you move, by which time the stuff supposedly has penetrated the entire area....)
  • Sue KaufmannSue Kaufmann CranfordMember Posts: 1,465
    edited 5 August, 2007
    Meow! Those local moves are best of all! My human and I moved a few years ago, a total of about five miles, so her plan was to have me stay at the old place until all of the stuff was moved out of there and into the new place. She let me stay in the bedroom until stuff in all of the other rooms was on the truck, and they'd just have to empty the bedroom. At that point, then, she was going to bring me into the bathroom and leave me there with the necessities until everything was in the new place. Well, she didn't anticipate a very important thing. Yes, the furniture moving makes noise, but it's also a very unpleasant noise when they wrap the upholstered fabric in cling wrap! They have a big roll of it - like two or three feet wide - and they use it to keep your couch clean. Boy, when I heard that, I ran right under the bed and stayed there! The human had a heck of a time convincing me to come out when they had to move the bedroom. Anyway, I spent some time in the bathroom, and it gave the human a chance to set up my dining area, a litterbox and some toys in the new place before I got here. In all, it worked out pretty well. I did spend the first 12 hours or so in hiding (it was so fun to cry for the human at 2:30 a.m. when I couldn't find her and she was exhausted!), but I warmed up to the place really quickly. Oh - one nice thing was that she just bagged up the bedclothes and put the same ones on the bed in the new place, without washing them. That meant I could have a familiar smelling place to dive into, too. Good luck with your move, and I hope your new place has a great sunny window with a view to lots of birds!!!
  • Lisa BLisa B Western WashingtonMember Posts: 129
    edited 7 August, 2007
    Boris, Simba and Hattie- Thanks for your advice! Mom now feels like she knows what to do and doesn't feel as stressed out about where to put us (new house or old house) when we move. While the humans were moving all of their stuff around and you were in your designated areas, did you eat any of your food or drink water? Also, when you moved into your new place, did you eat or drink? Mom is afraid for Xavier since the only types of moves he's done is from one owner to the other and the other. Boris- Good luck in your next move! We had a state to state move before which was really stressful for the humans but I got to sit in the car where there was LOTS and LOTS of sun. But it was pretty hard for me to get used to the new place (this was before we had my brother). Good thing I LOVE exploring and getting into everything and anything when it comes to new places. Mom says that I always try to test her and push my boundaries and see what kind of new rules are in place when we move. :)) Simba- I'm sorry about the arrival of a new cat AND moving!! I'm not sure that I would be able to handle it!! You are a very strong cat! :) Mom says that she will think about the Feliway diffuser, she heard that it's pretty expensive as well. Mom also said that we are having some fleabusters come in before our move so we don't have to worry about fleas ever again!! Hattie- I hate when humans decide to use aluminum foil for cooking! I couldn't imagine hearing the sound of plastic wrapping around and around all of the furniture!!
    edited 7 August, 2007
    I didn't really eat or drink while in the carrier even though mommy put water/food in there, but I did eat throughout the day at the new place once mommy let me out. That's on a par with mommy's experience, i.e., that I stop eating when freaked out, so mommy moved me and my stuff with the big furniture instead of waiting until everything else had shown up at the new place and had been unpacked because she figured cleaning and packing noises would affect me a lot more than being in somewhat familiar but not quite territory. I was okay shortly after I got to the new place, even though only the furniture was there, and I was curious about the boxes that kept coming in throughout the next 2 days (mommy and daddy moved the furniture with a u-haul on a saturday morning, and clothes/lamps/smaller stuff with their cars the rest of the day and Sunday. Then they unpacked things not necessary over the next week, so that it would feel gradual to me). I think part of it is, you go with the personalities of the cats. If you think you have explorers and hate to be confined cats, and if they are fearful of moving noises, you move them in with the furniture, but before everything else gets there (I fear the furniture noise, and the sound of packing tape, but I actually like the sound of boxes being opened). If you think they can tolerate the noise, but they might not tolerate finding themselves in a place where all the furniture and other stuff is not just so, I would move them last.
    edited 7 August, 2007
    Thanks again for your response Boris. I know that I hate to be confined but I'm not sure about Xavier but I think she has said something along the lines of being in the bedroom for most of the move in our old house then being moved with the bedroom since all of the wonderful cats here have suggested many things, she is taking everyones suggestions. All I know is that mom isn't going to seperate us during the move AT ALL. She said that if both of us go and we're always together then we'll have each other. Mom just hopes that the move goes smooth!! :)
    edited 7 August, 2007
    Kale I looked up Xavier's profile. He sounds a lot like me (intruding into the humans' potty time and opening doors are my favorite pasttimes! :))), so if I had to guess he will protest being locked in the bedroom a good chunk of the time, but at least he'll have you to keep him mind off of it! MOL! Best of luck!
  • Sue KaufmannSue Kaufmann CranfordMember Posts: 1,465
    edited 7 August, 2007
    Meow, Kale - I know what you mean about the anxiety about the move. It's such a pain, and so much to think about. But I'm sure your people have things well planned, and everything will go smoothly. As far as food and water, I have a raw food diet, so the human didn't leave any food for me in my secure area, but she did make sure to have a bowl or two of water available for me. I normally get most of my fluids from the food, so I can't remember if I drank any of the water. When we got to the new place, I immediately found a place to hide under a bookcase, and I didn't come out for dinner, so it got brought to me (what a deal!). I think that it's absolutely true that your reaction will be true to your personality. And as long as you are healthy, it will not be a tragedy if you don't eat much for the first day or two. Remember - we kitties are designed to be able to fast that long in the wild, in the event we can't find prey.
    edited 8 August, 2007
    Thanks again guys! Boris- Yay for finding another cat like me! Mom just hopes that I can be calm enough during the time of the move... Yeah right!! :)) Mom says that it's true with each personality of the cat and they will be sure to make this move the least stressful for the both of us. Thanks everycat, you're the best!! ;c; *head bonks*
  • Gregory WilliamsGregory Williams NewarkMember Posts: 68
    edited 11 August, 2007
    that information was helpful to me, because i will be moving soon from Newark NJ to Atlanta Ga and I am not happy, I am going to miss my 1 bedroom apartment, but dad tells me that I am moving to a 3 bedroom house, whatever that mean a house,,,,i hope that i am able to handle this move.... i was wondering can i staying the back of the uhaul or should be in a CRATE????????????????????????
    edited 11 August, 2007
    SheaBudda- When you say in the back of the U-Haul do you mean in the big area where you will be putting all of your furniture or the seats right behind the drivers seat? If it's in a small area like a U-Haul, and you aren't talking about the big area where all the furniture goes (cause that would be VERY dangerous since things could fall at any time and it's dark there) I would just have mom or dad take you out and hold you then back in the carrier so you don't bother the driver and walk around the drivers feet. When we moved across 3 states, we didn't have my brother yet so it was just me, mom and dad. We had a moving company move all of our stuff for us and we just took a car load so I got to stay in the car. After 2 hours of non-stop yowling even being taken out of my carrier during stops and having mom hold me, they took me out of my carrier because 12 hours of yowling was going to drive them crazy, which is what I wanted. :)) I'm sure that a lot of people would say to never do this because it is very dangerous (which my pawrents 100% agree with) but when they took me out of my carrier during stops, I would just want to go to the back and sleep on the flat part between the back window and the back seats. So they made the decision to let me out of the carrier. I got to lay down in the sun all day and watched all of the other cars and I LOVED it. I didn't bother mom and dad at all! I had my litter box in the back as well as my food and mom and dad would stop so they could give me water. I drank some water but never ate the food and didn't use the litter box in the car. Good luck to you in your move!! :-h Moving from a apartment to a house is REALLY cool cause it feels and is WAY bigger and I'm sure there will be a lot more hiding places!! :) Hopefully there are other people who can give you advice too!
    edited 14 August, 2007
    Kale! Good suggestions! Especially about staying in with the furniture in the back. He'd go to his new home as a pancake! :-O Meowmy says that if a cat doesn't like the carrier they should be let out of it on long trips, but only if you have one person manning the cat(s) in the car, and the other driving so that the cat handler keeps the kitties occupied and happy. Otherwise there's always a risk of a bored cat wanting to check out the pedals! :-O She did let me out in a moving car once by herself (I was really, really upset), and thank god all I wanted to do is ride her lap while she drove (probably for safety, MOL). She would never do it like that again though! Next time I get out of the carrier in the car, mom's gonna sit in the back with me, and dad will drive up front. ;)
    edited 14 August, 2007
    Boris- I completely understand when you say that one person should be manning down the back so the cat doesn't come to the front. That's what my mom was there to do when dad was driving and vice versa. But I NEVER went to the front or even walked around! I just sat in my sun spot and LOVED it. When the car would stop for awhile (rest stops) the windows would be cracked and only then would I walk around. Then when we were about to move mom told me we were moving and she would put me back into my spot and I would lay there again. :)
    edited 14 August, 2007
    See, with me, I hate the carrier, am ok with the car, and really liked looking out the window that one time. Mom says it gives her hope I might be adaptable to long car trips. Dad says maybe I should stay in the carrier, but he hasn't had to drive with me in the car for more than 5 minutes yet. :))