A friend for me

Darlene WagnerDarlene Wagner MilwaukeeMember Posts: 1,075
edited 16 August, 2007 in Choosing the Right Cat
Mommy wants to get me a friend, but she wants to make sure she does it right. I am 4 years old, and I\'m laid back most of the time. I cry when she goes to work or goes away, so she thought if I had a playmate I would not get so lonely. What are some things she should be thinking about when picking out a friend? Does the sex and age matter? How can she match up our personalities? Any other advice?:-k

Comments

• Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 7 August, 2007
    Our meowmy always suggests going to PetsMart to visit with the cats that are looking to adopt humans. Posted on the cat's enlosure is information as to age, sex, and also if they are 1) good with other cats, 2) good with children, etc. Hope this is of some help.:-h That's why when meowmy needed kittens to adopt her (she lost four in Hurricane Katrina), she wanted two so we would have company while she is at "work" - whatever that is. Then early this year Benny Grunch joined us - he was born on the property where we live. Emma, Louis and Benny Grunch|:|
  • Melissa RyanMelissa Ryan Fall RiverMember Posts: 401
    edited 7 August, 2007
    I would suggest you get a boy kitty since Cleo is the queen of the house. Queens don't like giving up their space to other queens. Also I would suggest getting a young kitten, the younger the better. Easier for her to get used to him!
  • Darlene WagnerDarlene Wagner MilwaukeeMember Posts: 1,075
    edited 8 August, 2007
    Thanks for the advice. Mommy was also worried I may pick up bad habits from another cat-is that possible?
  • Alana RobertsAlana Roberts BrooklynMember Posts: 758
    edited 8 August, 2007
    More likely the other cat will pick up bad habits form you as you are already 4 years old you aren't likely to learn new tricks. I suggest getting a slightly older kitty - maybe 1 year already as a kitten and heir craziness would prob just annoy your cat. A slightly older calmer cat would be better also make sure that cat in neutered, this way there are less territorial issues.
  • Melissa RyanMelissa Ryan Fall RiverMember Posts: 401
    edited 9 August, 2007
    It is possible to pick up habits, even if Cleo is older. Sneakers picked up a scratch-up-the-carpet habit and a sudden desire to jump onto our dining room table after my brother moved back into my parents house (when I was still a resident of their house). He had two ill mannered kitties that were never given rules. Sneakers basically learned to do these things by watching them. A new cat can also learn from the kitty you have now, so it goes both ways. If you get a kitten, it will have less habits maybe?
    edited 9 August, 2007
    Mommy is glad she is thinking this through. Her birthday is in Oct., so she is hoping to have all the information and have made a choice by then. I am hoping to go help pick my new friend out. We think it will be somebody under 2 years old, and maybe a boy. It is just hard to be sure because mommy wants a gentle friend, who doesn't have naughty habits-I came in trained, and very responsible! I keep telling mommy not all kitties are as wonderful as me :c9, so we can only do our best. LOVE Cleo
  • Stephanie LitosStephanie Litos Member Posts: 210
    edited 10 August, 2007
    Cleo, I think your idea to get an adult cat is a good one. You know so much about their personalities when they are a little older, which helps for a good match. I would look for a cat that is known to get along well with others. Often shelters will have this information, and if you go through a rescue group that has cats in foster care, they will definitely be able to tell you which of their cats do well with others. Good luck!
  • Dayna MatthewsDayna Matthews LondonMember Posts: 277
    edited 11 August, 2007
    Good idea! My mommy is on the lookout for another kitty too!;c; I am only 4 months old and I am her FIRST kitty so I'm very special to her. My daddy has owned cats before and they have decided to ad one more to our household.=; My mommy is loving her first kitten experience with me and I've become a "mommie's boy" as I am always on her lap and always wanting to be petted and cuddled by her. I've even left daddy's lap to jump onto mommy's lap.:))! Goodluck on the kitty hunt!%:D%
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 11 August, 2007
    Petfinder.com is a great place to look at adoptable felines in your area. Start there and also go look at local shelters and rescues.
  • Alana RobertsAlana Roberts BrooklynMember Posts: 758
    edited 12 August, 2007
    Dont forget to check on Catster too!
    edited 12 August, 2007
    Well my mommy did it. She got me a new "friend." She said she wanted to do it while she still was at home to watch us. It is a girl because the people at the humane society said I wouldn't like a boy as much. Well I'm not sure about this whole thing. I saw the new "friend." She is white and mommy named her Mysty. I saw her for a bit because she is not scared of anything. She opened the door and got out and saw me. I hissed at her and slapped her and all she did was meow and walk away. I hope this is a sign she knows I am the boss! Mommy and sister said she is very gentle and they went on and on about how they could rub her tummy and everything-YUCK! Like they couldn't rub my tummy?
    edited 12 August, 2007
    I am sure it's just an introduction thing, your cat stating this has been her territory and will adjust aslong as there is no blood.:-O Congrats on the new kitty though! I'm still on my search!! THINK I found the right kitten tho.:^:=;
    edited 13 August, 2007
    Good luck!!!! Mysty is a sweetie, but Miss Cleo is VERY jealous!! She is not happy with the Mysty, and her roaming, but the new one wants to be out and about and cries if she stays in one room for too long. Hopefully Cleo gets over it soon. :-k
    edited 14 August, 2007
    Things are getting a little better. I let them wander around the house for part of the day-then Mysty gets her door shut to "her" room. Cleo gets the run the rest of the night. They are doing a little better. The thunder storm scared them into cuddling with my daughter last night-together-lol. Cleo tried to make friends with Mysty tonight, but Mysty growled, so Cleo slapped her. This has only happened 3 times-and never with claws, so I'm thinking it isn't too bad. I just wish they'd get on the "same page." We tried taking it slower, but Mysty likes to roam, and it seemed cruel to keep her locked in one room (she cried and cried), and the same goes for Cleo. Our house is a one story, but spread out, so there is enough room for the both of them to roam around without getting on each other's nerves...if they choose to do so. Hopefully, it will keep getting better over the next few weeks. :^:
    edited 15 August, 2007
    Sounds like they will slowly get use to eachother, like you said nothing serious has happened only 3 slaps with no claws involved. I am sure they will adjust very soon! I am still on my search! Wish me luck! lol
    edited 15 August, 2007
    Good Luck-the only huge issue right now is she talks way too much. It sounds like a lion cub begging mommy for something 24/7. We think that is what drives Cleo to hiss and slap her. otherwise all is well.
  • Sarah MinerSarah Miner MaplewoodMember Posts: 3,790
    edited 15 August, 2007
    Good luck with the talking. Ruben talks a lot too and sorry to tell you it wont get much better. He talks about things he likes, Things that he doesn't pretty much everything he has a comment about. I talk to but not nearly as much. I hope everything is going well with introductions now Bailey I cant wait to see your new sibling when you find one
    edited 15 August, 2007
    Good to know even with the little "hiss" moments your cats have that Cleo and her are doing alright. Could be worse so I'm glad to hear it!=; Don't worry Gordy when I find the right kitty I will post all about it!%:D%
    edited 16 August, 2007
    Today we went to the vet for Mysty's free check-up. She was growling so bad in her carrier that they thought she was a little dog! The vet said if we ignore the talking and give her a ton of attention when she is quiet it will help. We are still working on the being nice thing. We have okay moments and not so okay. Today they were both in the waterbed-on different sides, but in the same bed. Then later Cleo pounced on Mysty, so we had a time out. Kids!!!! Mysty is also a hoarder-she is so funny. I found a whole pile of toys (at least 30) and little stuffed animals in the closet, and two toys in my bed.
    edited 16 August, 2007
    Well, its a start with them in the same bed. LOL @ hoarding the toys! Thats hilarious!