Shelter Corruption Leads To Felony Charges!

Kate McCormickKate McCormick ColumbusMember Posts: 232
edited 21 August, 2007 in Laws & Legislation
This thread is for an older report regarding this horrific crime. But, the Animal Legal Defense Fund has additional info. about it if you are interested in writing a letter. We just received it from them today...and we are just disgusted! http://www.bakersfield.com/102/story/178792.html

Comments

• Rachel AilinRachel Ailin LeavenworthMember Posts: 19
    edited 20 August, 2007
    That's absolutely disgusting.
  • Kim WashburnKim Washburn LouisvilleMember Posts: 1,057
    edited 21 August, 2007
    We are now sick to our tummies. How horrible, and how can humans actually do this? They must have no souls. Mommy said no matter how much she was threatened, she\'d never be part of something like that. She\'s going to refrain from saying what she would like to have done if he was her boss though because it\'s not very nice knows it would make her just as bad as he was. Jack and family
  • Desma JonesDesma Jones Member Posts: 318
    edited 21 August, 2007
    That is what mom is still trying to find out about me. Why I was put down immediately when I was brought into he Cowlitz county Animal shelter in Washington on July 31st. They said I had bad injuries? Mom said I looked great the last time she saw me. Did something bad happened to me when those people trapped me? Something is wrong and mom still cannot find out.
  • Misty ChristoMisty Christo OmahaMember Posts: 806
    edited 21 August, 2007
    Not sure if that link includes an Action Alert, but here's the one we got: Dear ACT Member: (Visalia, CA) Following a six-month investigation, an animal dealer and two Tulare County shelter employees are facing a combined total of 13 felony counts related to alleged animal cruelty and bribery. Arrested in June 2007, Michael J. Sargeant, William R. Harmon, and Ron C. Cookson are accused of participating in an "off the books" arrangement. Harmon, former manager of the Tulare County Animal Shelter, and Cookson, a former shelter staff member, allegedly: carried out unauthorized mass euthanasias in which they euthanized animals before they had a chance for adoption; beat, starved, and withheld water in the heat before euthanizing animals; and used nonstandard and painful euthanasia methods. They are also accused of falsifying records to cover their actions. Sargeant, doing business as "Sargeant’s Wholesale Biological," profits by buying "scientifically desirable carcasses" from animal shelters and sells them to research facilities such as UC Davis’ School of Veterinary Medicine. Harmon was put on paid administrative leave, and Cookson was fired earlier in the year. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for September 14, 2007 at the Tulare County Superior Court in Visalia. (Always contact the Court to confirm court dates as they are subject to change.) Here are links to recent news articles on the case: Animal cruelty, bribery alleged Bakersfield businessman, Tulare County Animal Shelter workers accused County animal shelter starts fresh TAKE ACTION! Letters thanking the prosecution for their efforts to date and encouraging the aggressive pursuit of all charges filed, seeking the maximum sentence for all offenders, can be mailed to District Attorney Phil Cline at the address below. Phil Cline, District Attorney Tulare County 221 South Mooney Blvd. Visalia, CA 93291 Please refer to case #VCF185453 - A, B and C Thank you for all that you do for animals! Sincerely, Stephen Wells Executive Director