Toxic Reaction .... help??

Trudi TaylorTrudi Taylor Mael CarhaixMember Posts: 4,585
edited 6 September, 2007 in Plus Friendly
Hi everyone ... I know humans are not allowed but I thought maybe this once it would be ok. Four days ago my new baby Topper went missing, we searched the house ... well tore it apart to be honest, i have made posters and hounded people in the village to see if thay had found him. Yesterday, a lady came to the house saying she thinks she found him, he had been in her garden for the last few days and that the night before she decided to take him in. She also then went on to tell us that she had sprayed him with Frontline Flea Spray that night and when she woke up in the morning she found him fitting. She rushed him to the vets and they said that this can happen as a toxic reaction to the spray. Well I have been to the vets this morning and they allowed me to see him. He is so small and unresponsive. My french is very limited and the Vet did not speak great English bless him ... but I basically understood that he was sedated to stop the fitting and the vet wants to keep him in to see what quality of life will be there should he survive .... Has anyone come across this reaction before? Do any of you know about this? What are my babys chances? Please anyone if you know anything about this type of incident please let me know ... even if it is not good ... I need to understand more about what is happening here and to make sure I am doing the right thing with my beautiful little boy. Even if you cannot shed any light on this please keep my baby in your thoughts and prayers xx Thank you Trudi (happily owned by Topper, Harry, Sabre and the Rockmeister)

Comments

• MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 August, 2007
    I wish you all the best. I have heard of reactions, but it is not common. Also your cat may have walked through some other kind of garden sprays or poisons. Then they may have licked it off their coat, combined with the frontline it could have been toxic. I\'m sorry, but I really don\'t know I am just guessing:? We are really purring your baby gets better.
  • Trudi TaylorTrudi Taylor Mael CarhaixMember Posts: 4,585
    edited 27 August, 2007
    thank you sweetie ..... please keep him in your thoughts :(
  • Kate McCormickKate McCormick ColumbusMember Posts: 232
    edited 27 August, 2007
    We are so sorry! Our Mommy has heard of that occasionally happening. We tried to look up any info. on the internet that might help, but there really wasn't much listed. One pet owner mentioned that she kept giving her cat baths with a de-greaser, just to get it off of her coat. Ironically, she had used Frontline, as well. It obviously had the same effect on her kitty. I really wish we could do more. We will be purring really hard for your kitty's recovery!!!!!!!! Love, Sheppy and JoJo
  • Kim YeagerKim Yeager FargoMember Posts: 1,689
    edited 27 August, 2007
    We have not heard of this happening before but we want to let you know we're hoping the best for a fast recovery. It's never good to have a hurt pet.
  • Trudi TaylorTrudi Taylor Mael CarhaixMember Posts: 4,585
    edited 28 August, 2007
    Thank you so much for your kind words and thoughts. I have been to the vets this morning and things are looking up. Topper has been bought out of sedation now and the fits appear to have stopped. He cannot stand as his back legs are too wobbly. The vet is keeping him in to assess him further to check for neuro damage and he also sent some blood work off to the labs for testing. Not quite sure why ... but the vet seemed alot more positive today so this can only be good. I have to go back later on tonight so hopefully will have more news for you all then ... Please keep praying for my baby, the power of the paw is a truly amaxing thing. I cannot thank you all enough. 'xxx
  • MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 August, 2007
    Thanks for the update. It\'s great he\'s better, and we are still purring for you ,and hope he has a full recovery Purrs Baltster
  • Kate McCormickKate McCormick ColumbusMember Posts: 232
    edited 29 August, 2007
    Purring and purring and purring for you, Topper!!!!!!!!! We just KNOW that you will be ok! love, love, love, and purrs, Sheppy and JoJo
  • zeta frascazeta frasca londonMember Posts: 15
    edited 6 September, 2007
    Hi Topper, we have been following your progress and were wondering how you were? Toxic reactions are very rare but it could be that the lady that took you in and frontlined you used an over dose? We are still sending lots of prayers and purrs, please let us know you are ok. |:|