Moving a nervous kitty and a LOUD kitty. HELP.

Jillian DionJillian Dion Silver Spring MDMember Posts: 4
edited 15 September, 2007 in Cats & Travel
Hi guys! I have a question! My Mommy tells me we\'re moving from Capital District NY to Washington D.C. I\'m pretty excited, but I can be awfully loud and my big sister Nermel gets VERY nervous about travel and usually refuses the cat carrier. Mom got her a nice new soft one in the hopes that that will help. I have the old hard one, but I don\'t mind. Is there any way for Mom to make the trip easier for Nermel and maybe keep me quieter for the 6 1/2 hour ride? Mom says our new home is much bigger with a screened in porch and that we should be excited, but we\'re still nervous. Can you help us out? Thanks! ~Loki::o

Comments

• Jan AllenJan Allen DallasMember Posts: 2,596
    edited 27 August, 2007
    Try some feliway - it's calming or some bach flowers - Mimulus It bring courage and calm. It helped me. Good luck
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 27 August, 2007
    If you have time (i.e., a few weeks before you move) - Try to get the nervous one acquainted to being transported in her carrier so she overcomes that fear. Basically put her in the carrier and take her for a ride that does not involve going to the vet and see how she does. Then treat her to some nice treats/food when you get home, so that she comes to associate being in the carrier with good things. As for the loud one, try some feliway a couple of days beforehand. If it seems to calm both down, you're all good to go. If not (some cats don't really react to it at all), you might want to enlist your vet to show you how to mildly sedate the loud one, so that the nervous one has one less source of anxiety on the way down. If you only have a few days - skip right to the feliway approach, or mild sedation as per above.
  • L AL A Squirrel WatchinMember Posts: 38
    edited 28 August, 2007
    Hi there. I speak from a three-hour-car-trip-for-vacation experience... From our first long distance car trip, we learned that we did NOT like the car! We'd suggest trying other options first such as the Feliway or "Calm Down for cats", easing them into it with shorter trips ect. Mommy & Daddy consulted our Vet & we received some meds. These made us look & act a little "drunk", but we slept for most of the trip. The effects were long-lasting & seemed to ease our nerves. We'd only recommend meds under the supervision of your current vet. Also...the hard carriers (with a towel inside) are actually easier to clean up en-route; ie. any potty or vomitting accidents. *~*Spider & Firefly*~* (littlest sister was not with us either time...we just adopted her a few weeks ago...no telling how she'll be??)
  • Jillian DionJillian Dion Silver Spring MDMember Posts: 4
    edited 31 August, 2007
    Thanks for all your suggestions you guys! I hope we can be good for Mom because she's super stressed out about the move. I'm going to try to be real brave!
  • laurie machafffielaurie machafffie DundasMember Posts: 55
    edited 11 September, 2007
    Hi I hope I can help when Edwin and I moved it was also a long drive I gave her something called rescue remedy and it worked wonders she was not the least bit nervous or scared. With this stuff you can put it in the water or food it or dab some behind their ears and rub it in thats what I did for Edwin. Good luck and let us know how it went. Edwins Mom:-h
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    edited 14 September, 2007
    Hobie goes on tons of car trips, even canoe trips! He's still very young, so I make sure to take him absolutely everywhere with me. I tried car rides in a carrier at first, but he'd go ballistic and be a big distraction. Now, I just put his harness on and wrap it around the headrest. This way he can see mommy, get scritches, and look out the window. However, he is VERY vocal and will literally mew for an entire 6 hour trip. Tried everything with that one...hoping he'll grow out of it. I find ignoring it and turning up the music to be most effective.
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    edited 14 September, 2007
    Hobie goes on tons of car trips, even canoe trips! He's still very young, so I make sure to take him absolutely everywhere with me. I tried car rides in a carrier at first, but he'd go ballistic and be a big distraction. Now, I just put his harness on and wrap it around the headrest. This way he can see mommy, get scritches, and look out the window. However, he is VERY vocal and will literally mew for an entire 6 hour trip. Tried everything with that one...hoping he'll grow out of it. I find ignoring it and turning up the music to be most effective.
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 15 September, 2007
    I would recommend all cats traveling in a car be put into a carrier. If an accident occurs and there is a loose cat in the car, the cat is now loose on the highway etc. As annoying as the meowing can be it's a much safer alternative. A 6 and 1/2 hour drive is not too far. I would try the rescue remedy as this may be all you need. Try taking a few short trips in the car, even if it's just around the block to help get kitties used to it. I would recommend not feeding them after midnight the night before your move and no water the morning of. This is to keep "accidents" at their minimum. Your trip isn't far and the likelihood that they will eat or drink on the trip is very minimal. If on your practice trips the rescue remedy isn't working then you may want to ask your vet for some sedatives. Be sure to try these to prior to actual moving day though, as they can opposite effect in some cats.