Why did you get the cat you got?

Emily ClarkeEmily Clarke Member Posts: 2
edited 21 November, 2007 in Choosing the Right Cat
Mommy was in a pet store the day after her kitten, Angel died looking to buy a hamster, knowing she wouldn\'t be as heartbroken when it died, but still wanting the companionship of an animal. When she saw me sitting in a cage in the corner, the unwanted kitten of a cat who lived nearby, she summoned up all her courage to meet me and my siblings. When she reached in to hold what she thought was the cutest cat (a kitten resembling Angel in almost every way), I got in her way and forced her to pick me up instead. Mommy held me for about 10 minutes. She knew I was her cat. She knew Angel was telling her that I belonged to her, and that she had to take me home. And so she did.

Comments

• Diana GabaldonDiana Gabaldon PortlandMember Posts: 5,607
    edited 28 August, 2007
    Mom went to the Humane Society shortly after her Furie passed away. Lulu was very sad as she had never been alone before. She would cry out loud all night and all day looking for Furie. Mom wasn't sure if she wanted another kitty but decided to take a look. She went twice. The first time she asked the volunteers what type would be best and they suggested a young male. Mom had never had a boy kitty before. That day no one really called out so she decided to wait. She finally decided it was time and went early early on a Sunday morning. She got there 1/2 hour before they opened. They had 3 kittens which was not normal for January. You can peek in the kitten room from outside the front door and while she waited she spoted me. It was love at first site for both of us.
  • Janelle StokesJanelle Stokes ChristchurchMember Posts: 28
    edited 28 August, 2007
    I live with J as her therapy pet. I help her get out of bed in the mornings and motivate her to do stuff. I keep her company and make her feel needed, wanted and loved. Granted, she has her human partner to help with all that now but he wasn't yet in the picture when she adopted me. She got me so she would have a reason to beat her depression and it worked! She has me to thank for the great quality of life she has now. And her dad takes every chance he gets to remind me that I have HIM to thank for pointing me out in the online ads and driving J over an hour from home to meet me. It was all fate, really.
  • Darlene WagnerDarlene Wagner MilwaukeeMember Posts: 1,075
    edited 28 August, 2007
    My two-legged sister picked me out. I purred, and ate in front of her. I let her pet me and pick me up. Her mommy was looking at all sorts of cats, but when she saw how good I was to her daughter my mommy said, "We will take this one!" I went right into the carrier, and I only yowled when I got in the car. I hid during the day and then I would come out at night and sleep with my two-legged sister.:c9
  • Darlene WagnerDarlene Wagner MilwaukeeMember Posts: 1,075
    edited 28 August, 2007
    My mommy wanted to get Cleo a friend, and the nice lady said a girl kitty would be best. Mommy looked at a lot of cats, but not me because she thought I was a boy cat. I went up to her, and talked to say hello. She just left to look at other kitties, but then in a bit she came back (She had just found out I was a girl). I ran up to her, and she picked me up. I didn't struggle to get away, and I snuggled her under the chin. I kissed her and purred. Mommy said, "This is the one!" Then she left again. I felt so SAD, but then after a long time (she had to fill out paperwork) she came back to get me, and took me home!!!;c;
  • Michele AshleyMichele Ashley Chattanooga/HixsonMember Posts: 3,161
    edited 28 August, 2007
    Momma was wanting another kitty because she thought my sister Miss Kitty was lonely while her and daddy were working. So she went to the shelter where I was and looked at all the kitties there. They were all trying to smooze momma and I just sat in the corner ignoring all. Momma asked the lady there what my name was and she told her. Momma called me and I spun around and ran to her. Momma looked at daddy and said this is our new kitty. I gave my sister Miss kitty companionship until she died from Liver failure.
    edited 28 August, 2007
    Momma got me because Snow was in a deep depression since Miss Kitty died. He would walk around and meow all the time, didnt eat as much and had no intrest in playing. So Momma went to the same shelter she got Snow from and found me. I was scared of everything. Momma said I am purfect and I would be a great fit in the family. She took me home and introduced me to Snow. After a few days Snow was back to his old self and I had a great time playing with him. I still do sometimes but Meekah gives us both a hard time.
    edited 28 August, 2007
    Momma got me because My auntie Icebox told her about me and she fell inlove with my picture. I came here all the way from Ohio. I love it here and am spoiled rotten. I love to chase my brothers around and give them a hard time. :)
  • edited 29 August, 2007
    Carbon and I were in a "Free Kittens" box in Daddy's hometown. He and Mommy were driving through on their way to the beach, and saw the sign, but didn't want us in the truck for the whole day in 100+ degree weather! We were the only two kittens in the box when they got back to the store, so we went home with them!
  • edited 29 August, 2007
    I look just like Daddy's friend's kitty, so I was named after him, and Tabby's named after his "sister" cat.
  • edited 29 August, 2007
    *scratches head* Don't you mean why did I get the human I got? That's how it worked out for my sister and me. I bonded with Mom the moment I saw her (a neighbor on the block). When our family had to move and couldn't take us with them, they asked her to adopt us because we'd already bonded.
  • edited 29 August, 2007
    *nods at Skylar's statement* I just tagged along with my brother, because he's my true brother, my littermate, and we've always been together. I would be very sad if we were separated for any reason. He feels the same way.
  • Jan ArmstrongJan Armstrong Member Posts: 6,559
    edited 29 August, 2007
    Wow, you all have wonderful \'got my human\' stories. The cats in our family just showed up. When Mom and Dad lived in the city, I was living under the porch for a month. Then one day I decided to come out and I walked right on into the house with the dog. No one has ever claimed me, and that is odd. Look at me. I had to be someone\'s kitty. After all of these years I am not leaving my momma. :-#
    edited 29 August, 2007
    Mom and Dad have been in the new house about 18 months. Mom was outside in the front yard pulling weeds when this car pulled up, stopped, and a lady stepped out with me. The lady asked if Mom knew where I lived because I was all stretched out in the middle of the road napping and I would not get up and move. The lady had to get out of her car and get me up off the road and she was afraid some meany would deliberately run over me for fun. Well, no one claimed me, and I grew on Mom real quick because I am more like a dog in respect that I follow her around like a puppy dog and always want petted and in her lap. :-#
    edited 29 August, 2007
    I think I am a colony kitty, as I have a notched ear and already spayed. I was very sick, and sometime when Mom and Grand Mom was shopping in the big city I snuck into the car and hid under the car seat. Mom didn't know she took a four legged passenger home until later that evening. Mom was very concerned that I would never get adopted because I was so wild and violent, so she decided to let me stay and work with me and then find me a home. Guess what? I am not going anywhere. I am home. :-#
    edited 29 August, 2007
    My babies and I don\'t have a human :(( :-#
  • Julie BennettJulie Bennett TorontoMember Posts: 280
    edited 29 August, 2007
    Everyone has such cool stories. My Mommy came to pick out a kitten and 2 of my brothers were available. I was already supposed to go to another family far away. She stayed for a while and played with them and decided on my brother Milo. We were still too young at that point so we had to wait awhile before we got to go to our new homes. In the mean time my Mommy decided Milo would be lonely all by himself and wanted a companion. Right at that time I found out I wasn\'t going to that other family and my Mommy picked me to go home with her and Milo. It was fate how it worked out!
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 29 August, 2007
    Our meowmy had lost four kitties in Hurricane Katrina. When she finally got a FEMA trailer in April, 2006 she was ready to be adopted by some kitties. Her sister has a good friend who works as a vet tech at a local animal hospital (open 24 hours), and she said they frequently had kittens who wanted to adopt people. So, when her sister called and told her there were two kittens available (borther and sister), she was so excited she could not wait to meet us. We went home with her on May 26, 2006 and have been very happy since.
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 29 August, 2007
    Well, as you can see from the post above, Emma and Louis came from a vet hospital (they had been left there at two weeks old). Well, I was born to one of the cats that lived on the property where meowmy had her FEMA trailer. There were four of us in the litter, two females and two males. One of my sisters adopted a family, but my other sister and brother were killed by cars. I had meet Louis when he took his meowmy for a walk twice a day. He said he and his sister loved their meowmy. They had dry food out all the time, and canned food once a day. Their coats were brushed, and they always had their favorite treats. I was lonesome without my littermates, so one day I just followed Louis into the trailer. My meowmy said I could stay....and that is my story!!!;c;;c; I love my brother and sister and we groom each other and sleep together in the bed with mewomy. Benny Grunch P.S. We are enjoying out all the other cats picked out their humans!!
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 29 August, 2007
    Copycat, don't despair. Someday you'll find your human, I promise. I was exactly six months old when I first met mom and dad. My mom was a rescue cat, and was already pregnant with me when the rescue group started fostering her. I was born in my foster mommy's home, as was my littermate Natasha, which is why my mommy has an exact birthday date for me (my momma cat was only about nine months older than me, and was estimated to have been on her second litter!!!!). Well, Natasha and I had a hard time getting adopted beforehand, we just couldn't find the right person! That's why we were both at a Petco so we could get a look at people who might want to give us a home. I remember being very scared. I didn't like being in a cage all that much, and there were tons of people I didn't know coming next to me. I was crouched on my little cat bed and was trembling. I was pretty tiny for a six months old. Natasha was bigger and friendlier. But I was right by the entrance of the room that the Petco used to house rescue groups, so mom and dad stopped by me first. When daddy reached in to pet me, I was very scared. My eyes were as wide as saucers, and daddy told mommy "poor little thing, he's trembling!". Daddy petted me very gently and I tried to relax. Mommy really wanted to pet me, but she didn't want me to be more scared so she cooed at me, but gave me space. Then mom and dad moved on to Roxie, my mom, and to Natasha, my sister. Natasha didn't let daddy pet her, she just dived for daddy's lap and started being all cute and cuddly. Mom smiled at her and petted her. She liked her a lot. But I kept looking at them, my eyes open wide, and I seemed to be trying to tell them something. Mommy told dad she wanted to adopt us both. Dad said "I wish we could, but each of us has never owned a cat, and two kittens might just be too much of a handful the first time around". So mom was really torn between getting me or getting Natasha. Daddy said we should get me, because I seemed to be calmer and quieter. Momma tried to think about it rationally, but she kept looking back at me and I kept staring at her with a look of fear in my eyes. Mommy thought I was a beautiful orange cat, but she was worried I would be really scared and alone if she took me home by myself. On the other hand, she also figured that Natasha was very friendly so she would get adopted pretty soon, whereas I was so quiet and scared that people might overlook me. While she was thinking about all this, she saw a few families with kids come and go. Most of the families would make a beeline for Roxie, or for Natasha. I was mostly getting ignored. Mom's heart said to her "I have to get him. He needs a home, and he's so shy that it would take him forever to ask for one!". So mommy picked me! :c9 She's also found out what a sweet loving cat I am within a couple of days of me coming home and getting over the fear of being in a new place, so she's never regretted how it went. P.S. - Natasha found a home a couple of weeks later, and apparently is ten times the troublemaker I am, but her new family loves her in spite of it. ;)
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    edited 29 August, 2007
    Mom was at the shelter a few months after her last cat died looking for a new kitty. I kept trying to get her attention everytime she walked by and purred when she petted me - she took the hint. Mickey
    edited 29 August, 2007
    Dad brought Mom to the shelter "just to look" (yeah right) after her previous cat had to be helped to the Rainbow Bridge. I sat at the front of the cage watching them while my littermates seemed skittish. I snuggled and purred when Mom held me and that was a done deal!
    edited 29 August, 2007
    Mom and Dad had wanted a European Burmese for a long time. There were no breeders in the area so Mom searched on the internet. The first breeder Mom contacted did not have any kittens at the time and referred Mom to another breeder. Mom talked to my breeder and liked her and felt comfortable dealing with her. Mom saw my picture on her website, decided to reserve me, and I arrived a couple weeks later on an airplane!
  • Melissa RyanMelissa Ryan Fall RiverMember Posts: 401
    edited 29 August, 2007
    I was a neighborhood stray, living with my 2 sisters and 1 brother in a junk car under a sundeck (really it was more like a car Shell than an actual car). My Meowmy was only 10 at the time, and was afraid of the mean dog that lived in the house. But she knew she had to save us because the mean dog was known for killing helpless kittens. At the time we were only a few weeks old. She was the only one brave enough for the search and rescue efforts and she was able to find us a foster home with her friend. She picked me because...the first time she went to visit us, I was the only kitty that woke up and came right up to her looking for attention. She knew I had just the right personality and that we'd be together for a very long time.
    edited 29 August, 2007
    I was one of two in a litter from a neighborhood feral. Daddy actually wanted to keep my sister because she was fluffy and cute. When he picked up my sister, she was mean to him, though. He said "no thanks" to her bad attitude and decided he'd much rather take me. I didn't make a fuss, so he was much happier with the choice! Nobody knows what happened to my sister, Hissy, though...
    edited 29 August, 2007
    My Meowmy was just about to move out into her own place and had considered bringing her older cat with her. She decided against it since he enjoys the outdoors so much. She knew he couldn't go outside at her new home, and that he wouldn't be too happy being stuck inside all the time. Daddy heard a lady on the radio talking about a kitty needing to be adopted. He knew she'd miss the kitty companionship and suggested they adopt me! They thought it was amusing that my name at the time was Bobby...which is also my Daddy's nickname. They figured it must be a sign. When they went to visit me, I was sweet and licking her all over. I also was a bit clumsy, which she thought was cute. She'd never paid for a kitty before, but decided I was too sweet to say no to... %:D%
    edited 29 August, 2007
    Daddy has a feral kitty that...every year...has at least one kitten. One year the two kittens she had were very sick. One was possibly blind. When Daddy found me last year (the only kitten in the litter), Meowmy took me right away so I wouldn't get sick. She first tried bringing me to rescue shelters...but nobody would take me. She found some people that wanted me, but didn't know how to care for such a young kitten. She decided to foster me, until I was ready to go. But then I became such good friends with Toby, and Meowmy got way too attached to me!! She couldn't give me up! %:D%
    edited 29 August, 2007
    The same feral kitty that had Dusty had me! Meowmy and Daddy wanted to have furry mom altered, but when they tried to catch her she went crazy and crashed herself into the cage! They had to let her go...a few months later I came along! I was the only one. Again, Meowmy and Daddy are just really bad at fostering...because it ends up being an adoption instead! Daddy couldn't resist my cuteness!! ;c;
  • Dayna MatthewsDayna Matthews LondonMember Posts: 277
    edited 29 August, 2007
    My mommy never had a cat before other than when she was a little girl living on a farm and had barn cats. So, mommy decided to experience being a cat owner and since my daddy has owned cats and told her how great we are she started to look. She found an ad where a lady was rescuing kittens and cats so mommy came and found me! She looked at the other kittens and as soon as she picked me up she knew she wanted me! I was so friendly and layed in her arms quite limp and relaxed. So, a week later daddy came and brought me home to their duplex. I've been a mommy's sucky since!=;
  • Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    edited 29 August, 2007
    I was the last one of a litter of kittens to leave my kitty momma. My former owners were animal hoarders, in fact, they stole a retired guide dog from a friend of Mommy's! One of my littermates was even killed by a dog :(( After I was born, my owners, who were personal care attendants to a friend of a friend of Mommy's was asking around, to find us homes. Mommy hadn't moved into the new apartment yet, and the old building had a "no pet" clause, so she turned them down. Months later, after she'd moved and I was the only one left of the litter, they asked the friend again, and the friend asked Mommy. Mommy said "Sure, why not?" She was talking to her landlord about her pigeon problem, there were pigeons setting up shop on our deck, and Mommy needed suggestions about how to get rid of the pesky little buggers, and the landlord said "Get a cat!" So she did! When she first saw me she thought "this isMY cat?" I think she was a little disappointed at my big size and my looks. But after she set me down after showing me the litter box and food/water dishes, and I ran under the bed, twenty minutes later, while she sat reading and trying to forget I was in the apartment, I climbed on the back of the sofa and put my paw on her shoulder! She knew she was crazy about me after that!
  • Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    edited 29 August, 2007
    Mistress wanted a second cat, I suppose one to annoy and play with Squeakers. She was going to go to Petsmart's Spring Adoption thing one weekend and she told her friend (the same one that got her Squeakers) and the friend, even though allergic to cats, still loves them and wanted to come too. So since they both couldn't drive, they were going to have a friend drive them. Well, that day, Mistress came home from work and was very nervous, and was having second and third thoughts against adopting again. She called her friend, and the friend said that the driver had gotten a flat tire, so they couldn't go to Petsmart that day. Mistress was quite relieved actually. So a few days later, that same friend was at a doctor's office and started talking to some woman in the waiting room. She has a guide dog, so the woman started talking about pets. She fosters pets and she was telling Mistress' friend about me, about how I grew up on a farm and how I lost my best friend Milo last year, and how I lived with an 87-year-old woman who had just broken her hip and had to move to the Twin Cities to live with her son .. . and the son was going to SHOOT me! :-O Somehow the lady found out, and rushed to get me. Knowing I was in purrrfect health, not a kitten, kinda on the old side, she vowed to find me a good home, and so Mistress' friend mentioned Mistress. They exchanged phone numbers and she emailed Mistress who still wasn't sure about adopting again, after reading the story, wound up calling right away, and two hours later, I was in my new home! With Squeakers, hissing at her and playing with her. I admit I was afraid the first few days because I had traveled a lot! From the safety of the farm to that foster lady's house, with dogs and other cats, and now here. But I know I'll be staying here!