Why did you get the cat you got?

Comments

• Maggie CrabtreeMaggie Crabtree DetroitMember Posts: 94
    edited 29 August, 2007
    My mommy and daddy came to meet me and my brother and sisters. My sisters were already spoken for so it was just me and my brother left. I was a smaller boy and I had the CUTEST freckles in the baldest areas in front of my ears. Yes, bald kitties have balder spots! Then when my daddy held me I curled up under his coat and just purred. I knew I'd nudged my brother out of the running right then!
  • Maggie CrabtreeMaggie Crabtree DetroitMember Posts: 94
    edited 29 August, 2007
    Mommy and daddy needed to get another little kitty to distract brother Radar from pestering sister Spot when she was so sick so they came to meet me after seeing my very sad little picture on the internet. I was the only one from my litter that was there but there were other girls and boys from another litter that my mommy and daddy saw along with me. Most everyone was older and ready to go. I was the little squirt. When mommy picked me up I started to purr and let her hold me the whole time they were there! And I never STOPPED purring. She must have held me for over half an hour that day. All the other babies were running about and playing but I was a cuddler. I stole her heart from the minute she picked me up! I wasn't the prettiest little guy but I sure was the sweetest! I am Momo!
  • Jason YoungbergJason Youngberg WheatonMember Posts: 251
    edited 29 August, 2007
    The man who would be my new Daddy just bought a (town)house and after a month of settling in decided to make it a (town)HOME. His old apartment was too small for a kitty and there were strict rules. He went to the Petsmart and saw me. I reminded him of another cat he had growing up and went to the bridge too soon. My file said I was abandoned in February outside the shop of a rescue volunteer. Someone just left me in a kitty carrier and drove away. :(( Now it was early September and no one else wanted me. My file also said I like to hang out with the guys. Between my looks, history, and personality, Daddy didn't have a chance. He wanted to bring me home right then and there. That night I was asleep on his bed. After a few days I was kneeding his arm. I had a furever home and I knew it. It will be one year this weekend and despite (or because of) some minor health issues we're stronger than ever.
  • Jason YoungbergJason Youngberg WheatonMember Posts: 251
    edited 29 August, 2007
    The man who would be my new Daddy just bought a (town)house and after a month of settling in decided to make it a (town)HOME. His old apartment was too small for a kitty and there were strict rules. He went to the Petsmart and adopted Sarge. Now he also wanted a companion cat for Sarge and the pet rescue people said I was the best match. Actually I was the only match since we were the only two declawed kitties. Daddy isn't happy with himself for adopting me on a whim, but he hasn't regretted adopting me period. I also had a sad story. I was a stray that thought I had a furever home with a growing family. But the new baby was very allergic so I was returned like a bad Christmas present. Daddy worked hard to make me feel welcomed and loved. It took some time to learn how to trust again but he succeeded. Despite the rush in adopting me, things have worked out very well. I get along with Sarge and our personalities compliment each other. I love my Daddy and want to be closeby. I sleep with him most nights and sometimes I sleep on him. Adopting a cat shouldn't be done on a whim, but with me it was perfect. Finally something went right in my life. Sometimes you just know what you want and you don't need to think about it.
  • Diana GabaldonDiana Gabaldon PortlandMember Posts: 5,607
    edited 30 August, 2007
    Its been so fun reading everyone furever home stories. I am hoping to have a furever home soon but until then I am being well cared for. The nice lady saw me hanging around and looking for left overs from her neighbors kitties. I would only come at night time. One night she looked out and saw me lick something off a recycling can and that broke her heart so she ran out with a bowl of food. I ran away but came back after she went inside. After two and a half months of her leaving food for me and talking to me I decided she was cool and let her pet me. Now I want pets all the time. I come by every morning and every night for food, pets and love. This Friday I am going to the vet to check all checked out and neutered. Then the nice lady is going to find me a good home. Purrrrrrrs to all. Reading all of these great stories has really touched our hearts.
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 30 August, 2007
    This is Delyte. My person's sweet doggie had died the year before, and she had one kittie, Peri, who missed her friend. My person found me in the parking lot where she worked, and thought that a big black kitten would be the perfect way to enliven her rather stogy female cat. Didn't work, and we were never really friends. Peri died in 2003 of kidney failure. My person thought that I was happy on my own, but then I got the growth in my intestines, and the vet said that it was some kind of stress. So when the stray cat she was feeding had kittens, she thought she would adopt one. Before she even got to pick, though, two of the three disappeared and never returned to their mother. The landlord was going to trap the remaining kitten and send it to the "Humane" Society, where they put you to death within three days. So my person trapped the kitten instead and took her inside. She became my devil cat companion, Stella. She was supposed to liven me up, and I guess she did, a little. We are still not friends, but we play almost every day and I have gotten sleeker and feistier.
  • ellen sklarellen sklar ExtonMember Posts: 256
    edited 30 August, 2007
    I was brought to the SPCA by my family because (they said) someone was allergic to me. I was six years old, neutered, declawed, and very calm so I don't understand why they couldn't find a home for me, but they took me to the SPCA. Fortunately, a new volunteer there had a co-worker who had recently bought a house and was looking for a cat--preferably an older cat because most people want kittens. The volunteer printed out my PetFinder listing and brought it in to work. A few days later, my new Mom and Dad came and got me from the SPCA. I slept right by my new Mom's feet from the very first night.
  • ellen sklarellen sklar ExtonMember Posts: 256
    edited 30 August, 2007
    A few months after Mom and Dad adopted Teddy, they decided to get him a companion to keep him more active while they were at work all day. Mom saw my PetFinder listing when she was looking at the SPCA web site and she thought I was adorable but she figured I would be adopted right away because I was neutered, declawed, and very calm. Unfortunately, she was wrong. I spent a little more than a month at the shelter, but when she heard I was getting sick a second time she knew she had to come get me because it was the start of kitten season and I was five--far too old to be of interest to most people. It was actually my Dad that told her she should go get me--yay Dad! When I first came home, I tried to play with Teddy right away, but he got scared and his under Mom and Dad's bed for almost two weeks. He did get used to me though, and we get along pretty well now. I certainly do my best to make sure Teddy gets enough exercise!
  • Carol LisciandrelloCarol Lisciandrello ChicagoMember Posts: 5
    edited 30 August, 2007
    Mom found me at a street carnival. The people at Chicago Canine rescue had me there. No one wanted me, they took my two sisters and brother. I was in different foster homes. Mom was feeling really sad, she had to let her beloved Tigger go. I felt her pain and cuddled on her shoulder. She knew I was for her. I am glad to be with my new family of 4 kids, 2 adults, 1 great dane, 9 turtles, 2 cockatiels and parakeet and 2 frogs. I think I want to add "and a partridge in a pear tree", but I have a permanent home. I sure had a way of getting to Mom.
  • FelixFelix Member Posts: 45,573 ✭✭✭
    edited 30 August, 2007
    Mom had lost my Bridge brother Critter in August 1999. By January of the next year she was ready to look for another kitty, and contacted the Denton Humane Society to see if they any kittens or young cats up for adoption. DHS called her back and said there were three 7-week-old kittens in a foster home who would be ready for adoption in a couple of weeks. Mom arranged a date to come and see us, and in the meantime, went to the DHS website to look at the photo of me and my two sisters. One of my sisters was a calico, and Mom thought she might like to have a calico kitty. When Mom visited my foster home, my calico sister was already adopted - there was just me and my solid gray sister. She would have loved to take us both, but she could only afford the adoption fee for one. In the end she chose me because she loved my blue- gray and white markings and decided she would stick with a male kitty. Mom and I agree it's one of the best choices she's ever made. We bonded right away. I slept on her pillow next to her head that first night and have been snuggling with her ever since. :c9
  • Cathy AudorffCathy Audorff Janesville, WisMember Posts: 3,812 ✭✭
    edited 30 August, 2007
    Mommie's kittie (my angel brother BeeJay) went to the Rainbow bridge in March. Mommie was very sad and was looking up sites for pet loss when she discovered Catster. After she started spending time on Catster, she saw a post in the forum that said Mufasa needs a new home (Wi). She looked at the post and fell in love with my baby picture. She had a hard time getting in touch with my foster mom but finally they connected and then she drove 3 hours (6 round trip) to pick me up. She knew I was the right cat for her, because she knew BeeJay was directing her to me. We've been together 3 months now!!!
  • Kristen MaranciakKristen Maranciak PittsburghMember Posts: 560
    edited 30 August, 2007
    Mommy's kitty Ari had just passed away. Mommy told Daddy one day that she thought it would be cool to own a Bengal. Daddy said no. Well after Ari passed away Daddy was trying to cheer Mommy up and they took a drive to see me. Daddy said they didn't have to get me they were just going to meet me and check me out. Well I put the Buddha Mittens charm on them. I was rubbing up against them and purring and meowing and just being me cute self. Two weeks later they brought me home. I am mommy's baby now...Purrs:)
    edited 30 August, 2007
    Mommy and Daddy's little girl Harmony passed away in September of 2006. After awhile they decided that the house felt empty with only three kitties so they decided to get another one. They were looking for a kitty that would go well with other kitties especially Buddha. So they started looking for Bengal rescues and found me. I am a Bengal mix. Mommy and Daddy actually saw my picture before Harmony died. They called the rescue and they said someone else was going to adopt me. Mommy and Daddy were heartbroken. They fell in love with my picture. A few days later the rescue place called mommy and daddy and said that the people that were going to adopt me didn't show up and wanted to know if they were still interested in me. Of course they were...look how cute I am. So Mommy and Daddy drove out to meet me. It was love at first sight. I loved them and they loved me even with my ringworm. It was meant to be. I went home with them that day. I love my new home and family.%:D%
    edited 30 August, 2007
    My mommy found me hanging out on the railroad tracks with my brother. She couldn't catch my brother but she caught me. She tried to take me a shelter but couldn't leave me there. She brought me home and now I have a new home. I have two brothers and two sisters. I live Mocha and Buddha best. We love to play. I have so much fun and I have no desire to leave. I am one lucky kitty. :c9:c9
  • Chenling ZhangChenling Zhang LeuvenMember Posts: 813
    edited 1 September, 2007
    So many great stories kitties! :c9 My mommie got me through her friend. Her neighbours got a cat who had babies, and they were giving them away. Mom lost her previous cat Tigger two years ago and always wanted another cat. One day on msn, she saw her friend's nickename on msn which said: "who wants a cute orange cat?", well, obviously, no one in the clear mind would refuse such a request. So without ever seeing me before, mommie said yes! Mommie heard that one of my sisters got to go to France with a nice family. I think I'm the lucky one though :c9
  • Tina HillTina Hill Member Posts: 4
    edited 1 September, 2007
    Mom and Dad wanted a kitten after their other feline companion passed away after losing a battle with cancer. They waited a couple years before they went looking for me, because they wanted to get over their grief. They had a hard time finding a kitten in the middle of winter (story of how they found me is on my catster page). When they finally did, I was at a pet shop with my brother and two sisters who were all especially beautiful. I, on the other hand, was pretty goofy looking. They picked me for my funny personality! And weren't they smart to do that! I have kept my delightful personality, and I have also grown up to be a beauty (even though I am still a little goofy).
  • D- W-D- W- Member Posts: 16
    edited 1 September, 2007
    My husband and I went to Petsmart to get a cat tree for Biggs, and ended up with the cat instead! We had lost our Maggie, who was with us for 18yrs, and I kinda sorta steered the hubby to the adoption centre. I had already looked through the glass and saw LuLu, and once the hubby picked her up and held her, it was love. :c9
  • D- W-D- W- Member Posts: 16
    edited 1 September, 2007
    I was visiting my brother, and his cat had had a litter a month before. Biggs was the smallest and the quietest of the lot. He was so sweet, he cuddled into my neck, and I knew he was meant to be with me. He was a little young to take home, but I had to take him then because my brother lived about 500 miles away from me at the time. He traveled home with me safe and sound in my hoodie pocket!:c9
  • Sue KaufmannSue Kaufmann CranfordMember Posts: 1,465
    edited 2 September, 2007
    Such wonderful stories! We are all so fortunate to have our humans, aren't we? I used to live in a shelter where my human volunteered with the dogs (she didn't work with cats because she knew she'd want to adopt them all!). She was a litte scared she wouldn't be a good cat caretaker, and when the shelter needed foster people, she thought it would be a good 'tryout' for her. When she went to the cat part of the shelter, it was open crate time and many cats walked by to flirt with her. I was still in my crate, and when she reached in to pet me, I licked her hand. She thought that was sweet, so she decided to bring me home. The shelter people asked if she would want to adopt me, and she said she didn't think so, but she'd keep me as long as they needed the extra space. As you can imagine, I did my best to be my cuddliest and sweetest during my 'tryout' time, which turned out to be about two days. She quickly discovered she could be a good cat caretaker, and I became a permanent part of her household.
  • Angela ClarkAngela Clark Fort SmithMember Posts: 15,094
    edited 2 September, 2007
    Mommy's best friend found me at Arby's one day just wandering around. She took me home but her daddy wouldn't let her keep me so I went to live with her brother for a while. Eventually, he couldn't keep me anymore so I ended up with mommy's best friend anyway. Mommy and her best friend got an apartment and took me and her other cat, Dinglehopper. One day I was in heat and mommy's best friend couldn't afford the surgery so mommy paid for it and took me and picked me up. I was so grateful that I adopted mommy after that. Everyone agreed and I've been with her ever since.
    edited 2 September, 2007
    Mommy wanted to get a friend for Velvet for a very long time. She wouldn't do it and wouldn't do it. Finally she had to have exploratory surgery (nothing was found to be wrong) and that made her decide there was no point waiting any longer. She looked for a cat at the local shelter and online at petfinder. She had heard about the platinum mink Tonkinese and thought it was gorgeous. She looked at petfinder and found the absolute most beautiful natural mink Tonk ever (so she says). His name was mikey and he was blind. She knew she couldn't have a blind cat but after seeing him she knew she had to have a natural mink tonkinese. She looked and looked and found me online at a breeder on Oklahoma. She called and got information about me and told the lady that she would make a decision the next day. That night she was on her way to Wal-Mart. While she was stopped at a red light, waiting to turn left, first in line, I Can Only Imagine by mercyme was on the radio. Suddenly everything went white and mommy was standing in front of Jesus holding me in her arms and he was pleased. It was only a second but she knew that she had to have me and everything would be ok. It was going to be 14 more days until she could get me. The weird thing is, about a week later, she had the exact same vision at the exact same place at the exact same intersection with the exact same song on the radio while going to the exact same store. Mommy drove to Oklahoma City with Grannie on Christmas Eve to pick me up. I was a bit of trouble at first, being ill then getting ringworm, and I was full of energy. One day mommy couldn't take it anymore. I was just being a kitten and she didn't know how to deal with a kitten. I was all over the place and picking on Velvet like crazy. Then she remembered her vision. She was holding me in her arms like a baby, belly down, head facing right, and my left front paw was hanging down over her arms. She picked me up and held me that way and has been able to calm me down and comfort me like that ever since.
    edited 3 September, 2007
    Velvet was 14 and Marina was 2. Mommy had gotten a new house and desperately wanted another cat. The hope was the new cat would play with Marina and leave Velvet alone. She prayed and prayed asking God to tell her yes or no but she never got a clear answer. It was like he was staying out of it and letting her decide. She even asked God to slap her in the face with an answer so she wouldn't miss anything he was trying to say. She heard nothing so she proceded to look for another cat. She loved Marina so much that she wanted another natural mink Tonk. She did look at other breeds and rescues so she wouldn't miss out on anything. She tried very hard not to get another natural mink tonk because after Marina, how could she love another? It would just be a bad copy, right? Well, the pull was too great and she had to have another natural mink tonk. She called all the breeders in March and they all said that they don't have any now but should have some in a couple of months. There were two, however, that had natural mink Tonks right now. She called on a Sunday the one she knew was cheaper and they didn't answer the phone so she called the other one. They said they had a boy and a girl. Mommy had decided she was going to get a boy because she already had two girls and girl kitties don't always get along so well, especially if one is really dominate. Everyone she knew had boy kitties and told her to get a boy. She decided she would get the boy. But when she called and asked about the personality of the girl, she was told that I was the least dominate kitty in the group I was in and there were all girls in the group I was in. The draw was too great. She had to have a girl. Two weeks later, the breeder put me on a plane and mommy picked me up at the airport. Tosca's mommy here: I just wanted to add something. There are so many wonderful kitties that need to be rescued. I fully recommend rescuing a kitty or two if at all possible. I fully recommend waiting until you find the right kitty at a shelter instead of going to a breeder. I wouldn't change a thing about how I got Marina and Tosca. They have no negative past (that I know of) and I love that. I know when they were born, what food they ate, who their parents were. And I love that. But that stuff isn't important. Saving the life of a kitty is important. I can't tell you why I had to have these two as I don't know myself but every kitty needs a home and these two were right for mine.
  • Kerstin KaufmannKerstin Kaufmann Member Posts: 9,254
    edited 3 September, 2007
    human lost (very!!! beloved) rodent. human entered shelter. human asked for a \"broken\" cat (half tail, no ears, ...) human was led to my box. (don\'t ask - I won\'t answer - - -) i hissed. mistake! she likes strong characters. that was it.
  • VM PetrackVM Petrack Waterford (Erie)Member Posts: 145
    edited 4 September, 2007
    My mommy was suffering not only from a sudden empty nest, but my daddy started a third shift job as well... she was overwhelmingly lonely and started working twelve hour days because she couldn\'t bear coming home to an empty house. She needed something to love.... and something that would love her back. She researched different cat breeds, looking for the best \'love bug\' type and decided she wanted a Ragdoll. So..... here I am!!! And yes, we both love each other to pieces.... a definite happily-ever-after! =D> :)) =D> :)) =D>
  • Taylor WebsterTaylor Webster DFWMember Posts: 8,065
    edited 4 September, 2007
    Lilo is my neighbors cat so sadly I've never had a cat. I've begged my parents for a cat for the longest time, but they said two dogs was enough. Well the other day my parents went to the petstore and saw a baby siamese kitty in the window, they both fell in love with it, but they wanted to rescue a kitten. So they found a Siamese rescue close to our house. Luckily there was a new litter and we are going to pick out the one we want tomorrow :D I'm VERY excited about finally getting my own cat |^|
  • Stephanie NikolaiStephanie Nikolai Member Posts: 355
    edited 4 September, 2007
    Momma went to the Humane Society on a whim because she missed having pets since she moved to go to college. I was so loud and cute she had to ask to see me. It was love at first sight, I just curled up on her lap and gave her the big sad kitty eyes and it was all over. She filled out the application, then daddy came in to meet me, then I went home! It was the best day of my life. Mom works at the shelter now matching up folks with the right cats and dogs!
  • Susie, Mike Yang, VeldboerSusie, Mike Yang, Veldboer VancouverMember Posts: 4,115
    edited 7 September, 2007
    My staffs picked me out of all kitties in the SPCA because of my bigness. :)) Actually, they asked for a sweet, affectionate cat and the SPCA staff highly recommended me. They said \"they don\'t get sweeter than that guy!\" :D Turned out the SPCA staff was right! I let them pick me up and I even head-bunted them! That was the first time we met. Until this day they still think they hit the jackpot with me. It\'s the best decision they\'ve made, ever. =;
  • Kathryn GrahamKathryn Graham Norfolk,Member Posts: 123
    edited 8 September, 2007
    I was looking for a nice house and somehow I just new Grampy and Grampy would be nice to kitties so I cried at their door. Mommy opened the door to find out who was crying and she found, and we\'ve been together ever since. My brother Sir Winston followed her home from school (guess he could tell she was a good human even then) And, my other two brothers, we got them when we got Daddy, like a packaged deal. Mommy and Daddy got married and Daddy, Gary and Kipling all moved in wiff us. So, Mommy hasn\'t ever picked out a cat, but she sure has some good ones
  • Deb O'NeillDeb O'Neill PerkasieMember Posts: 8,659
    edited 9 September, 2007
    Mom never picked out a cat, either! I was found in the alley by some neighborhood kids. Benjamin was given to Mom as a Mother's Day/birthday present. He was born to an outside cat. Danny showed up on our patio one very cold February night. One of our human brothers found a starving 8 week old feral two weeks ago. He's now almost a healthy weight and very happy and active. Dad says we can't keep him, but none of us want him to leave.
  • Karin PruessnerKarin Pruessner DurbanMember Posts: 2,110
    edited 9 September, 2007
    Well, DUUUH, mommy took me home because I told her to!! I had been all happy with my fur mom and then suddenly one day I found myself in that stupid plastic box with all 6 of my siblings!! Can you imagine. And when they finally got me out of there I was at a very noisy place with other cats and even d-o-g-s and all of us were put in a cage!! Now, that was really too much!! I spotted my mommy and climbed all over my siblings, reached out with my paw and told her she HAD to get me out of this insanity!! And she did.... *smile*