Why did you get the cat you got?

Comments

• Beth CostaBeth Costa Stoneham, MAMember Posts: 252
    edited 9 September, 2007
    Mommy had a beagle who died in June after a lengthy illness. She decided that she wanted to get a kitten to share her love with but had never owned a kitty before. Daddy grew up with cats so he picked me out of the litter. I was one of the two friendliest kittens of the litter but I was the tiniest and Daddy thought I was so cute that he couldn't stand it and had to take me home. Mommy and Daddy also have 3 human children and 2 parakeets so they were looking for a young kitten who was pretty social. They picked the right kitty!
  • Pamela HaneyPamela Haney Old ForgeMember Posts: 893
    edited 10 September, 2007
    Mom went to PetSmart one day to get food and she saw me in the cage. I was 21 lbs at the time and I was the largest cat Mom had ever seen. She said she just had to hold me. So when she picked me up I made sure to tremble in her arms, but I was so happy for lovin that I couldn't help but purr at the same time. So there I was covered in dander and was shedding like crazy, purring so loud everyone could hear and trembling at the same time. The assistant was telling Mom about how my elderly owner became ill and I had to come to the shelter but no one wanted me because I was almost 10 yrs old and I had been homeless for 3 months. I looked up and gave Mom my sad kitten look. And thats it. She and Dad were done in. I came home with them the next day. Mom says I was the best Chrsitmas present she ever got.
  • Sofia GasacaoSofia Gasacao San Leandro, CAMember Posts: 468
    edited 11 September, 2007
    Well for me the question is: Why did you get the human you got? MOL! Momma didn't adopt me, I adopted her! I came into her home last year summer and fell in love with her and her family. At first, I secretly observed them in the front yard. They were so nice and immiediatly said this was the family for me!
  • Nanaho SawanoNanaho Sawano Member Posts: 108
    edited 12 September, 2007
    I got fostered, then adopted, because the first cat my human was supposed to foster literally died while she was on the phone with the Human Society talking about logistics to pick him up. Then they told her that I too was going downhill really fast due to depression/heartbreak from abandonment, just like the first cat. Could she take me in...? Of course she said yes. I wish I arrived in a happier way. But I believe we can't always choose the circumstances of how we find our humans. So I try to live life to the fullest for the both of us--for me, and in the memory of the cat who helped me to my furever home.
  • Nanaho SawanoNanaho Sawano Member Posts: 108
    edited 12 September, 2007
    Oh, and about Trooper, my "brother." After getting me, my human decided it might double the fun if she had TWO cats, and also thought maybe I might like a cat friend. (I dunno about that...) She saw Trooper's photo on a local rescue's page, among other cats. (The human had had no preference for gender or fur color, etc when she got me. But this second time around, all the cats she was drawn too were, incidentally, all orange tabby boys, hehe.) She had given the rescue coordinator a list of the cats she was interested in, and had actually made arrangements to visit some of them. But Trooper's foster human, on hearing Trooper was on that list, immediately took him to my human's apartment. Apparently, Trooper was one of those types who hid whenever someone visited, so his foster person decided that the only way he would be seen and get adopted was for him to be physically brought to the prospective adopter's place. Well that definitely worked. After seeing him, my human thought she could hardly turn him out. (I dunno why...) Now, Trooper never hides. On the other hand, sometimes I could do without seeing him all the time...
  • Cam CollinsCam Collins Member Posts: 8
    edited 14 September, 2007
    My mom was adopting my brother, Zach, to take with her when she moved to Athens, GA, for grad school. When she came to see Zach, she thought I was pretty too, but they told her that a little girl who lived down the street was going to adopt me. When Mom came to pick up Zachy, they told her that the little girl had gotten in trouble with her mother, and couldn't have a kitten now, so I didn't have a home. Mom was happy to take me too, and Zach and I went home with her that day.
  • Cam CollinsCam Collins Member Posts: 8
    edited 14 September, 2007
    They didn't pick me; I picked them! I was a wandering, homeless kitty back in June of this year, when I found my way into a couple of nice yards where I could see kitties through the windows of the houses. At first, I was hanging out one house. The people fed me, but the cat who lived there wouldn't let me come inside. Then, after about five days, the people next door came home from a trip they'd been on. I could see lots of kitties through their windows, so I went over to say hello. They petted me, and the other people told them I'd been around for about a week. The new people gave me food and water and lots of attention. I decided I wanted to be THEIR cat, so I was very sweet and loving. Mom wanted to bring me in, but Dad resisted at first, so I just kept being nice. Eventually, he suggested they buy me a collar so the pound wouldn't pick me up. I knew then that I was in! I just kept being sweet, and eventually, he let Mom bring me inside and introduce me to the other kitties. I'm still getting used to this inside thing, but I really like it here.
  • Ashley CurrierAshley Currier AthensMember Posts: 24
    edited 16 September, 2007
    My human was still living with her parents when their older cat was helped to the Rainbow Bridge after, what I've been told, a long and loving life. I can believe it by the way she treats me! My human was going to be moving out into her own place, and wanted a cat to keep her company there, as she'd be living alone. As she'd always had purebred cats before, this time she wanted a shelter cat. And not a shelter kitten, either, because my human is a smart one and knew that she wouldn't have the time to raise a single lonely kitten. So she went to the shelter with her mother and started browsing. She found this, admittedly pretty, 6 month old calico girl and wanted to adopt her, but she'd already been adopted. My human's mother, however, saw my cage and stepped inside to meet me. I was juuuuust starting to get sick and I just wanted to be loved on, so I curled up in her mother's lap. After a few seconds, her mother called my human and said "Get over here, now. I've found your cat!" And sure enough, she had. I left her mother's lap and curled up in my human's, and that was that. Unfortunately, I came down with an upper respiratory infection during the week between meeting my human and going to my furever home, so I was still a sick kitty when she came to pick me up. I even had a bloody nose from sneezing so much, but I was on the mend, and my human knew that I'd get better faster if I were out of that horrid shelter. Since then, my human has moved out into her own apartment where I am queen. But I missed her too much when she was gone, and I was lonely, so she got me a friend later. Now I'm much happier with my friend, my human, and my toys. I still bat things off the bookshelves and steal her food, though, just to remind her who's in charge. :)
  • Ashley CurrierAshley Currier AthensMember Posts: 24
    edited 16 September, 2007
    Mommy said that Caramel was a lonely kitty and that she needed a friend. But, she's also very territorial and so while Mommy would have liked to rescue another adult cat, this time she knew she needed a kitten. Sadly, it wasn't kitten season yet, and so Mommy thought to just get her information in the local Humane Society and then later, when kitten season arrived, pick out a friend for Caramel. Well, it didn't quite happen like that. :) Mommy's best friend was thinking about getting a dog, and wanted Mommy to come along because she "new the ropes".. or something like that. Mommy helped him pick out a dog that she thought would be perfect for him, but sadly, he didn't agree, and so Mommy was kind of sad. She said that she needed "kitten therapy" to cheer her up. As it was January, my sister and I were the only two kittens in the shelter. She said she felt sorry for me as my name at the time was "Fluffaboo". And so she picked me to play with and visit with. The shelter people told her that I was very timid and standoffish and tried to direct her to my sister, who looked just like me, but Mommy's stubborn, and said she wanted to visit with me. I showed them! I played and purred and purred and played! There wasn't anything timid about me! And Mommy fell in "fluffy kitty love" as she says. So even though she didn't intend to get a kitten so soon, I was going to my furever home the next day! Caramel was scary and didn't like me at first. I curled up between Mommy's arms and snuggled against her chest because I was so scared. Caramel was so BIG to me! Luckily, Mommy was able to stay home from work for three whole days because of the weather! By the time she had to go back to work, Caramel was being a LOT nicer and even attempting to give me baths. Now I'm a year old (Mommy said so!) and Caramel is my bestest buddy in the whole world. Next to Mommy of course. ;c;
  • edited 23 September, 2007
    I was saved! There was a tornado coming and I came to this house and they saw me and they said if this is no ones cat then we will keep it. Well they broung me in the house gave me a bath after that it started raining. Then it started to hail the hail was as big as golf balls. Then the town next to us had the tornado it was really close to us. I was glad that they were there.
  • kate vonkkate vonk BoiseMember Posts: 1,313
    edited 23 September, 2007
    well, i really wanted a cat to live in our apartment. we went to petsmart to look in te adoption center. oscar and charlie were curled up together. i immediately liked them since i have always been a big fan of tabby cats. we held both of them and decided on charlie. we went back a few minutes later and they were sleeping together and we knew we couldn't split them up. so i got both kitties. as for pancho, my friend wanted a cat so we went to the pound one day. i saw pancho and picked him up and really loved him. i knew i couldn't get another cat but i really loved this one. so, i adopted him anyways nad he is an important part of our family now.
  • Bernie's DadBernie's Dad PittsburghMember Posts: 130
    edited 25 September, 2007
    My daddy didn\'t choose me, I chose him. :) I was wandering along the street one day... tired, lonely and hungry. I saw a car coming and was heading to hide in the bushes when a cat from the rainbow bridge whispered in my ear and said \"Show him your beautiful eyes... this is your new daddy!\". I did and he stopped the car and took me home. I later found out the kitty whisper was from his former cat Bernie who had crossed over the bridge earlier in the year. A match made in heaven! :^:
  • Bernie's DadBernie's Dad PittsburghMember Posts: 130
    My dad was at a local shelter looking for a companion for his kitty. He was looking in all of the cages and then passed by the cage where my brothers and sisters were. There were seven of us. They were all in the front of the cage reaching out to grab at him. I was in the back, sitting in the litter box... scared. Daddy told the lady \"I would like to see the one in the back\". As soon as he held me, I looked up at him... he kissed me on the head and said \"You\'re coming home with me\". The rest is history. :)
  • Gary SturgesGary Sturges TorontoMember Posts: 80
    My dad was heartbroken after his previous kitty companion Bandit passed on , because he loved her very much and especially since it was the first time in his adult life that he had no cat . He had arranged to adopt a male black and white kitty but that fell through . He searched some more and managed to find that I was up for adoption . We've been together almost a year now and it looks like the both of us are happy we found each other ............. Jacqueline ( Jackie ) ... the big black kitty :D
  • Tanya MundyTanya Mundy boulderMember Posts: 763
    Dulci: i was looking for my lost Tom (who was never found), and she was waiting there. I walked by her cage and she reached out and purrreedddd, pushed against the edge of teh cage. she HAD to come home. Brought her home and within minutes she was on my lap (on the toilet, no less) purring. sat in my lap ever since. Horus: he was the "victim" of a huge forrest fire in colorado - but in an odd way. in order to make room for owned cats who's people had lost thier homes, the shelters were sending the unowned cats to denver & boulder. horus was to be put down, cause no one had room. they USED my heart against me, the meanies. ;-) he came home and has had love ever since. Sophia Marie: wanted a new friend after Dulci died. wanted someone friendly, lovey. didn't realize how rare that is. sadly for me, but such is life, she is DADDY's GIRL in a big way. i'm tollerated at best. I didn't want to get someone that looked like Ms. D, but she was the one that chose us. so we took her. NOt the best reason to take in a cat, but she is and always will be well loved.
  • MICHELLE HOOKSMICHELLE HOOKS TANGERINEMember Posts: 274
    Grab a tissue............. My Mommy had a baby named Spock that was almost 17. Over night he got real bad off and the vet said there was no hope. Not wanting to have him suffer after years of pampering, Mommy and Daddy held him at the vet while he went to sleep. They buried him in the yard where he can be outside all the time! Mommy cried and cried (as she is now) for days and even missed work. The "fateful" day her own Mommy and Daddy came over to stay with her. They were supposed to go on a boat ride in a nearby Florida town, but they canceled. When they called to cancel, Grandma told the captain all about Spock. He felt really bad because he was a Cat Person, too. He told Grandma that people dropped cats and dogs off at his house because they knew that he would care for them. Someone had dropped me off at his house about a month earlier. He called me "a kitten" but I was 9 months old and nine pounds. He had gotten me neutered and planned to keep me because I was just so darn cute and cuddly. But his own cats didn't like me (snobs!) so he was going to have to find another home for me quickly. He offered me to my mommy. My mommy had wanted an orange cat to be a totally different color than her Spock. Guess what! I am orange! My human family: Mommy, Grandma, Grandpa, my boy Philip, and my cousin, Aaron, went to go see me. (Please note that due to some "personal issues" on his part, cousin Aaron is no longer living with us!) It was mutual love at first sight! When mommy saw me, I was all stretched out in the sun with my belly up to get the most sunlight. This was the same position Spock had been in when Mommy first got him! She reached down for me and I gave her the honor of licking her! When she scooped me up, I purred and purred. Then I licked Grandma! Within minutes, I was in the car on my way to my new home. My mommy still cries for her Spock but I know she loves me Oh So Much. She tells me that I am the "second best cat that God made" and I am not offended. She tells me every day that she loves me and that no matter what happens she will always love me. My daddy really likes me too. He wasn't raised in a "cat family" so mommy has had to rehabilitate him over the years. But how can he resist me?! I am so loveable!!
  • chloe butlerchloe butler Member Posts: 1
    edited 26 September, 2007
    my parents got me because their sons and daughter wanted a kitty, when they go to the store the oldest said i want this one, so they bought me and the oldest said lets name him fluffy and so here i am today........ a cat named fluffy.
  • Kay FieldKay Field LondonMember Posts: 4
    edited 28 October, 2007
    Mum didnt really get much of a choice. I lived with a guy in the country and he decided that he wanted to move to the States and there was no longer room for me in his life. One of his friends said they knew someone that would give me a home and so she went away and came back a few days later saying I could live there. This strange woman shoved me in a box and drove me over to london, it was loud and scary and I had an accident in the car.... they shouted at me. It was scary, there were lots of people and about 4 other cats there when I arrived. I hid and because I was so scared, I lashed out at the other cats. After about a month, the biggest human said I couldn\'t stay there anymore because I was vicious and not being nice but my mum said I could stay and she\'d help me. She was nice and didnt shout and showed me it wasn\'t a scary place. In the end, the other cats were being nice to me, I didnt know that in the beginning. Mum let me cuddle her when I was scared and she gave me treats. One by one, the other cats vanished, mum was sad and in the end, it was just me and her. Then one day about 2 years ago, she sat down with me and told me I\'d be getting a baby brother because his humans were moving into a flat and it wasn\'t fair on him to not have a garden. I didnt like the idea at all. This other cat came not long after that, he was skinny and scared and demanded all of mums attention. He thinks he\'s special but really, Im the Queen and he\'s the court jester. I guess in his own way he\'s kinda cute but well, dont tell him that!!
  • jillian lockhartjillian lockhart Member Posts: 2
    edited 11 November, 2007
    My mommy didn\'t have much of a choice. She had left her sunroof open and I thought it looked cozy in her car, so I hopped in and made myself at home. She came out in the morning and THERE I WAS!!! Mommy was going to take me to a shelter because she didn\'t think she was ready for another cat, but I sure set her straight! She had been visiting a friend in another state where feral cats were all over the place and the shelters just put cats to sleep when they came in because there were to many of them. Instead of taking me to a shelter up there, she brought me home with her. She said she would take me to a shelter where she lived in the morning. But then on the ride home I curled up in her lap for the long drive back- and slept there for the entire ride home. After that she realized that I had already chosen her as my new mommy, and I\'ve been a happy, spoiled cat ever since. I can tell that my mommy loves me back because she is always petting me and kissing me. She even got me my own bed!!
  • edited 11 November, 2007
    You mean how did I get my forever home? As a double rejectee and on sale as a Black Cat, I posed real good for my photo at the shelter. You know, the reaching-paw schtick. Also the people wrote that I had been returned because I was rambuctious. CT (CareTaker) was hemming and hawing about whether to get a younger cat to play with an active Tonk and his almost-retired sister Siamese. She fell for the pic and thought "rambunctious" would fit nicely. Next day she was there with a carrier and took me here - home. No adjustment time necessary...I wasn't going back there!
  • Sara MelendezSara Melendez Member Posts: 23
    edited 11 November, 2007
    Mom got me because she wanted a friend for Desi, the kitten she\'d adopted. The animal shelter wouldn\'t allow her to adopt two (she\'d adopted another cat that year, who\'d developed FIP and had been put to sleep, and a dog, too), so she went to a different adoption agency. She saw me sleeping in a crate with my two (rather plain, and certainly not as handsome!) brothers, and as soon as she picked me up, she fell in love. Of course, who couldn\'t?! She adopted Oscar - the kitten we have now - when she worked as a volunteer at the animal shelter. She saw him in a dog crate in the front lobby and he reminded her right away of Desi (who had to be put to sleep in February from FIP as well), because of his fur. And apparently, he acted pretty silly, so he won her over. But, she didn\'t think she\'d be able to adopt him, because of her Mother, who time and time again said she never wanted any more animals. Until, of course, she heard about the little kitten who looked like Desi. So my Mom\'s Mom came down to the shelter and as soon as she held Oscar, she fell in love. And wa-lah! He came home a couple days later, after being neutered. And that\'s that. :)
  • Lindsay RoweLindsay Rowe ArcticMember Posts: 1,776
    edited 11 November, 2007
    Mom found my photo on petfinder.com at a local no-kill shelter. As soon as she picked me up, I started purring like crazy. Still haven't stopped.
  • Ashley ThompsonAshley Thompson Orange CountyMember Posts: 83
    edited 12 November, 2007
    My mommy got me at the animal shelter- now I am so happy with my new brothers and sister!! |$|
  • Autumn GessertAutumn Gessert Amarillo, TXMember Posts: 333 ✭✭
    edited 13 November, 2007
    Our whole family sort of "found" Mom, one at a time. Our oldest brother, Lars (who recently crossed the Bridge) was not wanted by the lady who had him because he was "too playful!". So Mom happily took him. My older brother, Felix, was waiting for adoption at a PetSmart. One of Mom's kitties had died from cancer several months earlier, and her heart was just broken, she didn't want another cat ... but then why was she looking at adoptables? It was near the end of the day, and Felix was one of two leftover cats nobody wanted, he looked so sad and lonely ... that he went home with Mom! I was wild, and living on my own. I found Mom when she was way out in rural Arizona for a few months ... after several weeks, I decided she should feed me and take me in. So I moved in! My little adopted son, Buster, was abandoned outside. I used to play with him and call to him under our front door at night. One day, Mom just couldn't stand it anymore -- she saw him run right into the street. Well, that was it, she snatched him up and brought him in. So now, we are three...
  • Yipee LadybugYipee Ladybug Member Posts: 3,805
    edited 13 November, 2007
    I picked mommy when I was at the pet store, put up for adoption. She just wanted to stop by coz she'd never seen an adoption area in a pet store before. I jumped up and started rubbing up against the cage whenever she was near. She noticed and I made her adopt me, hehe!
  • Yipee LadybugYipee Ladybug Member Posts: 3,805
    edited 13 November, 2007
    Mommy got me as a companion for my big sis angel kitty Missy. Plus she knew I had just be rescued and had to find a home b/c the rescuer couldn't keep me.
  • Deborah RichardsDeborah Richards SydneyMember Posts: 5
    edited 17 November, 2007
    I was adopted after my mum's cat Socks was run over by a car. :( My Mum didnt want another cat, as she thought that her cat was irreplaceable. But then my mum's sister had friends that had a litter of kittens, and when Aunty Neta seen me she noticed I was the exact double of the cat mum lost, only a baby and male. So she got me and took me to meet my new mum..... but mum didn't know I was coming. When mum met me, she tried to ignore me... but I made that hard, when I jumped up on her lap! Almost without realising it, she started stroking me, and I fell asleep, purring contently on her lap. We bonded straight away, though mum was still trying to half-heartedly deny that she wanted another cat. But Dad, Nan, and Aunty Neta all saw through my mum, knowing that my mum was a loving sole, and she wouldn't turn me or any other pet-in-need away... & she didn't! But it was Dad that said "Yes, we'll keep him!" I have been with mum now for 9 years, and I am spoilt rotten! I also had a big brother cat, Felix, he taught me allot... but he died 5 years ago, I miss him, but now I am the only cat and I run the house! I still have a dog sister, named Gemma. She is 12 yrs old now and she practically raised me as her own pup... but she is great with all of mum's pets. Mum also has 3 rabbits, 7 birds, 2 blue-tongue lizards and a fish. Mum has allot of pets, bey we all get on very well. :) Though I do hate the wild MYNAH birds. They SWOOP ME everyday! I don't know why! I never did anything to them! I am a good cat, I live in a house with various pets a cat would normally hunt, but I don't hurt them! But these wild birds are so mean to me, that my mum has broken her golden rule and she says I can get my own back on the wild birds. If I can catch one! The joke is on me though, I am old and they outnumber me... It is never just one bird! But today my mum saw them swooping me and she picked up the garden rake and pretended she was playing baseball... only the ball was the birds! She actually managed to touch one on the tail! But he didn't get hurt. My mum is an animal lover. She wouldnt even kill a spider that we have in the house as it isnt poisonous! Well that's my sory!
  • Amanda BrindleAmanda Brindle OakvilleMember Posts: 1,179
    edited 18 November, 2007
    I was adopted from the Humane Society 20 years ago. My sis was only 5 and we still live together and are best friends. According to Mommy, I was the only little kitten in a litter of 5 who wasn't meowing or jumping up and down. I was also the runt and just looked so cute. As I grew older I started to "talk" more and now I am really quite vocal.
  • Amanda BrindleAmanda Brindle OakvilleMember Posts: 1,179
    edited 18 November, 2007
    Mommy had just said a week before that she didn't want anymore kitties running around the house. But Daddy really wanted a kitten. Mommy and Daddy had just been to a friend's funeral and were still very sad so another couple decided to take them to a petstore that was closing down to help get their friend's pet snakes (he used to work there). The store had a history of complaints and the humane society had just left. Mommy's friend knew that the doggies there were going to the humane society but that the kitties would likely be drowned :(( Mommy's friends took one of the kittens and Mommy and Daddy took the last three including me. They found homes for my brother and sister but I had clung on to Daddy the entire time we were there and I looked up at him with these big eyes that said "thank you for saving me". I was very sick and they spent lots of time and money making me better. Mommy and Daddy are so happy that I've grown up big and strong now and the vet is very fond of me. Mommy still gets tears in her eyes when she tells about my story.
  • Kelly HendryKelly Hendry Charlottesville, VAMember Posts: 556
    edited 20 November, 2007
    Sophia is actually a really special story. I had just moved into my first apartment, with roommates who didn't like cats. My boyfriend and I were walking down the street when we saw this little tiny cat run across a busy street and sit down in front of us. We are both obsessed with cats so were really excited to pet her, but immediately noticed that she was dirty and so so skinny (4 pounds!) I ran to get food from our house to lure her, and when I came back she was sitting in my boyfriend's lap and purring. She was so tiny that we thought she was a kitten, but it turns out she was very old and very sick. We took her to several vets and made lots of calls to shelters. The vets didn't think she was going to make it and none of the shelters would accept a cat they thought was "unadoptable". We rejected suggestions that we should put her down, convinced my non cat friendly roommates to let us keep her, and found an excellent vet who allowed her to live a happy life for 2 more years. She helped one of my roommates through a hard time with depression, helped me through my Mom's cancer diagnosis and generally won over everyone she met. She also got me hooked on rescue. When she passed away we adopted Sam off of craigslist, from a girl who had found him on the street. My roommates at the time kept getting worried b.c. there was a cat identical to Sam who was running around the neighborhood and they kept thinking he'd gotten out. When it got down to 16 for several weeks we decided to set a catch cage for Sam's twin. On Easter Sunday we caught Hunter, who was not Sam's identical twin, but was definitely a neighborhood stray. We're a full house for now : )