Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Neighbor\'s cat is choosing us instead!

edited 31 August, 2007 in Choosing the Right Cat
Mom puts out food for us ferals on the back porch, and the neighbor cat, Sarah, has been eating out of it. Actually, both neighbor cats, but Schiz (yes, full name is Schizophrenia) is still living at her home. Sarah, however, hasn't been back since Mom starting cleaning and caring for a boil she has on her shoulder. Jackie (the neighbor lady) was almost in tears that Sarah wasn't staying with her anymore, didn't even come visit anymore! What can Mom do? She brought Sarah over to visit Jackie today, but Sarah didn't want to stay or even be petted by Jackie! :?:?:?

Comments

• Alana RobertsAlana Roberts BrooklynMember Posts: 758
    edited 29 August, 2007
    Well maybe the neighbor isn't a good kitty mummy thats why the kitty didn't like her or maybe she just wants to be in a one cat household. If the kitty needed medical attention that wasn't being provided I'm leaning towards the first option. If kitty doesn't want to live with her can she live with you or can you help kitty find a new home? You'll have to talk to the lady first if it's really her cat - is it a feral/stray she took in or did she buy it?
  • edited 29 August, 2007
    Jackie's had Sarah for 15 years. I know she would do better if she weren't in the same household as Schiz, because Schiz hisses and swats at everyone. The reason Sarah didn't have medical care for her boil is Jackie's on Social Security disability.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 29 August, 2007
    I know it'll be hard for your mom to explain this to Sarah's mom, but if Sarah's mom doesn't have enough money to feed her or give her medical care and she has another cat that bosses Sarah around, Sarah is feeling less than loved right now. Since your mom did do those things for her, Sarah probably thought "Ok, I guess that this is my next human. She's doing these nice things for me, so maybe it means she loves me. Maybe I should live with her" I'm not trying to judge, I'm just pointing out what Sarah might be thinking. I love my mom to pieces, but I probably would do the same things in Sarah's shoes. I get pretty worried on the rare occasions mom is late putting out food, and I need to be reassured it won't happen again (but sometimes late food is unavoidable). If all of a sudden there wasn't enough food, mommy let me be sick, and she got another cat that picked on me, I'd probably run away even though I am scared of the door to outside. :( Mommy says that's not her just being a cat, or being callous. Kids are like that too: they bond with their mommies and love them almost instantaneously, but basically that is because their mommies give them food and make them feel safe. That allows a loving bond to develop. If those things stop happening, a child won't stop loving their mom right away, but after a long time of neglect, whether intentional or unintentional, s/he is gonna start noticing it if other people are nicer to them, and might only go home very reluctantly after that. :( Maybe your mom could start dropping off some food at Jackie's house for Sarah to eat, so that Sarah maybe considers returning home (and also because it sounds like a neighborly thing to do in these circumstances). But keep in mind that the other cat might be just as much of a deterrent for Sarah, so maybe Sarah's mom needs to consider finding Sarah a new home for Sarah's sake.
  • edited 31 August, 2007
    Mom talked with Jackie today, and Sara (revised to her real spelling) is super-scared of Schiz, and that's definitely why she's not going home. She feels threatened at home, and rightly so! Jackie understands, and is sad, but Sara came and visited her yesterday on her own. She knows Sara's happy now, and is ok with the situation. She misses her, but she knows that Sara still cares about her and will come to say hi when Schiz isn't around. There is a picture of Sara on our page now.