Constipation!! Help!!

Kiwi FashionsKiwi Fashions Member Posts: 89
edited 28 September, 2007 in Cat Health
Kiwi has not been feeling well lately. She has not had a fresh stool for the past two days and her entire abdomen is hard. She also hasn't eaten much and only nibbles. What could be the problem? Is it possible that she is constipated? And if so, what can be done to encourage bowel movement?

Comments

• Chris RoweChris Rowe SunnysideMember Posts: 17
    edited 23 September, 2007
    I always had problems with constipation so Mommy started giving me pumpkin ( the kind in the can ) about 1/2 tablespoon every day and it really helped alot. But the first thing to do is have your Mommy take you for a health check to make sure there isn't anything more seriously wrong.
  • Kiwi FashionsKiwi Fashions Member Posts: 89
    What kind of pumpkin? Unsweetened pumpkin puree?
  • Maggie CrabtreeMaggie Crabtree DetroitMember Posts: 94
    Hi Kiwi Louise, Sorry to hear you're not feeling well. Yes, just get pure pumpkin puree and just be sure the only ingredient is pumpkin. No spices or sugar or anything. I hope you're feeling better soon so you can get out for a beautiful fall walk! Nibbles, Radar and Momo
    Thank you, Radar, for the helpful information. My meowmy will try to do all that she can to make me feel better. :) Purrs of friendship, Kiwi
  • Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    I've never really had this problem, but I also heard that a little Petromalt can do the trick. But I think I'd stick with the pumpkin
  • Jayne WatsonJayne Watson Member Posts: 53
    edited 24 September, 2007
    My meowmy gives me peanut oil sometimes for hairballs, and it also seems to help me go if I'm having problems. Peanut oil is yummy!!!! If it lasts too long, better & you are in pain, better see your doctor!!! Feel better soon!
    edited 24 September, 2007
    Have any of you heard of or used the product "Laxatone"?
  • Carolyn PhillipsCarolyn Phillips Member Posts: 6
    edited 26 September, 2007
    |^| \" I say, Ditch the Pumpkin, and do what my mom does, give 1 flat teaspoon of Benefiber mixed with canned cat food, every day.\" Being Constipated is no fun, I even had to go to the vet and they had to give me an enema. It was dreadful, and but I felt better afterwards, so now I get brushed every day, and I never miss my benefiber.%:D% Good Luck!!
  • Mia McGregorMia McGregor South FloridaMember Posts: 69
    edited 27 September, 2007
    Sometimes increasing the dietary fiber with the Benefiber or other fiber supplements just makes the problem worse as it did for me-blocked me up like crazy... The pumpkin is somewhat better. The Laxatone is similar to Petromalt-both laxatives but I prefer Petromalt as it does not have the cancer causing Sodium Benzoate that laxatone has. You can also try 100% EXTRA virgin (has to be) olive oil-like a half teaspoon mixed in wet food 1-2 times daily as needed. Increase your wet food intake (mom adds water to my wet food) and also give with digestive enzymes and Probiotics. I like the Totalzymes and Totalbiotics by Ultra pet-somewhat expensive but constiaption has been a thing of the past since mama started me on them (mixed in with my wet food) about 2 months ago. I previously was on Cisapride (mediaction to promote gut motility yuck) and almost 4x a week Petromalt. The Probiotics and enzymes have been great....
  • Andrea VaileAndrea Vaile Member Posts: 26
    edited 28 September, 2007
    My brother and I take laxatone for hairballs (we love it!)...and the tube has dosages for laxative use, too. We\'ve never tried pumpkin, but my mom read on a different thread that it can be constipating!