Clumping litter - sodium bentonite

Jim EllsJim Ells Member Posts: 1
edited 23 December, 2007 in Cat Health
Hey Kids- My dad just came across some nasty information regarding clumping litter. I'm fortunate in that he always uses ordinary clay and refuses to change - he's a beat up old Viking - so what's new? Seems that sodium bentonite is not good for us! Google clumping litter+sodium bentonite and read all about it. And DON'T buy COSTCO clumping litter. They lied, and didn't put it on the list of ingredients but their web site lists it. So far, five of my cousins have died. They all had the same symptoms! Eeeeyuuuu! Love & Snuggles, Tiger... call me!

Comments

• edited 24 September, 2007
    Holy cow, I didn't know that about clumping litter; thank you for the advice. As soon as I'm able, I plan on switching to that pine stuff (the pellet-like "litter"); it doesn't have that nasty powder either.
  • Diane WallineDiane Walline Hamlin (suburb of Rochester)Member Posts: 500
    edited 24 September, 2007
    Hey Velcro, Mom uses Feline pine scoop Clumping for us. She thinks its fairly new. Here is the website for it: http://www.naturesearth.com/scoop.html The only ingredients are "pure Pine & natural Guar Bean Gum". It says it is 100% natural without ANY chemicals. It also says that feline pine scoop is 100% renewable and biodegradeable. It took us a while to get used to it when we were first switching from clay. Mom hated how the clay would turn muddy sometimes when we went pee pee. She also is starting to mix in a little ARM & HAMMER® High Performance. The website: ( http://www.armhammerpets.com/performance.aspx ) and bag say " a natural alternative to clay-based cat litter and: Provides Rock-Solid Clumping with New Advanced Clumping Technology Is 100% Scoopable Litter With Virtually No Dust- Making Clean Up Fast & Easy Delivers Complete Odor Control With ARM & HAMMER® Baking Soda to Destroy Odors on Contact Is Biodegradable " It looks like... well, we dont know how to describe it. It sorta looks like The Worlds Best Cat litter but instead of being the color of corn ARM & HAMMER® High Performance has some darker pieces mixed in. Although mom couldn't find an ingredients list for the ARM & HAMMER. we are going to do that google search now!
    Mom found this link on the felin pine website and its too late to edit her post: http://www.naturesearth.com/rebates.html You get your first bag for free, and then every 10 you buy after that, the 11th is free..
  • Jenna LuskJenna Lusk Pacific NWMember Posts: 2,034
    Mommy just bought a bag of VetBasis Nature-Derived Herbal Cat Litter. It is made from corn, has no silica, sodium bentonite or other bad ingredients. We haven't tried it yet, but it is lavender scented, clumps and can be flushed. Mommy loved Feline Pine Scoopable, but my human sister didn't like the pine smell. Mommy saw this at the pet store and thought it was worth a shot. We'll let you know how it goes after she changes our box. Lavender is supposed to be relaxing, so maybe it will even help me sleep through the night without waking mommy (yeh, right....).
  • joy wampolejoy wampole Member Posts: 626
    I am also planning onchanging but still have a huge bucket of this stuff, You mentioned "symptoms" can you explain what they were, so we can know what to look out for? Thanks, Charlita Thunderpaws and family
  • Kim WashburnKim Washburn LouisvilleMember Posts: 1,057
    Hmm. Good point about it clumping inside us. We never thougth of that, but it reminds us of hearing some animals died from ingesting Gorilla Glue because it swells up too. How horrible. Mom is gonna start litter shopping now. Thanks for the info. Jack and family
    Here is some information about the litter we just got: http://www.pet-living.com/vetbasis/litter.htm Mommy and I looked on Amazon as well as other sites and it had a consistent 5-star rating from people (kitties) who had purchased it. Again, we haven't tried it yet, but we'll let you know how it goes! Mommy spent $12.99 on it, but it looks like you can get it cheaper online (as usual).
  • Kate McCormickKate McCormick ColumbusMember Posts: 232
    Mommy switched us over to the Arm & Hammer High Performance litter a few weeks ago, and we LOVE it! There's no dust, and it really does last a very long time...even though Mommy changes our boxes 3-4 times a day. The only thing that's a bit of a pain, is the fact that the flakes are soooo light and airy, they tend to stick to our feet and we track them throughout the house. Other than that, it's really good stuff. Plus, the smell is wonderful! I know that sounds odd, but it has a really clean smell! Has anyone read anything other than good things about this litter? Our Mommy just wants to make sure that it is ok for us to use.
    Im Harleys sister - We have the problem with tracking the litter with the feline pine scoop and the arm & hammer high performance (we use both). They are both very light ( but not dusty). We live in a 2 bedroom apartment so in the bedroom mom and dad dont sleep in our litter boxes are in a closet. The closet has an accordian door and its the whole length of the room which mom keeps half way open for us at all times. Mom put one of the litter box matts in front of each litter box( theres 2 in there) and then put a regular big door matt under it. Thats helped a lot with the tracking. She just vaccums up any tracked litter as needed but usually we don't track it out of the closet
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 25 September, 2007
    Here\'s the MSD (material safety data) on sodium bentonite: http://www.bentonite.com/msds/national.pdf
  • Vanessa BobackVanessa Boback TampaMember Posts: 3,149
    Thanks for the information! I did not know! I will start shopping around TODAY!
  • Beth CostaBeth Costa Stoneham, MAMember Posts: 252
    Yikes! We tried the pine litter and did not like it. Ditto for the crystals. Does anyone have any recommendations for scoopable litter that does not contain bentonite clay? Thanks for the info
  • Beth CostaBeth Costa Stoneham, MAMember Posts: 252
    Yikes! We tried the pine litter and did not like it. Ditto for the crystals. Does anyone have any recommendations for scoopable litter that does not contain bentonite clay? Thanks for the info
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    Precious Cat litters None of the litters use bentonite.
  • Darlene WagnerDarlene Wagner MilwaukeeMember Posts: 1,075
    Does anyone know if the clumping litter effects our mommy's and daddy's lungs?? Mommy has had a URI she can't get rid of for 6 months , and only know after switching our cat litter to a non-clump (it was a muti-cat less smelly version) for Mysty and I, is she starting to feel better. Has anyone ever heard of anything like that?
  • VM PetrackVM Petrack Waterford (Erie)Member Posts: 145
    My gosh, there\'s always something new for us to worry about. :(( We use \"Yesterday\'s News\", which is recycled newspaper in pellet form. It doesn\'t track, but Finney still manages to kick some out each and every time he does his herculean leap out of the box. I\'ve never had any problem with it, nor has Finney... has anyone heard anything negative on it??
    edited 26 September, 2007
    Cleo - Mom read that sheet that Merlin posted. It said it could cause eye and respiratory irratation. Then it said DANGER breathing crystalline silica can cause lung disease including silicosis and lung cancer. Crystaline silica has also been associated with scelerderma and kidney disease. Then it talks about how you should wear a special respirator when handling the material. I think it's definitly possible that maybe your old litter was causing your moms URI! Moms going to email all her friends/family who have cats that material data sheet to show how dangerous sodium bentonite can be to kitties As well as humans!
    Ah HA! It doesn't say it on the Bag, or on the main website but mom was reading through the FAQ's of Arm & Hammer litter and found : "Is ARM & HAMMER® Cat Litter safe for pets including kittens? We are extremely confident of the safety of ARM & HAMMER® Cat Litter, when used as directed. During its development, ARM & HAMMER® Cat Litter was evaluated for safety by numerous consumers (and their cats) with no adverse effects. Additionally, the sodium bentonite used in ARM & HAMMER® Cat Litter is a naturally derived special clay and, of course, the safety of baking soda is well known and documented. " Moms certainly not buying any Arm & Hammer litter anymore
    Ok so mom is on a mission to determine which litters are safest. So far here's what she found: ALL Arm & Hammer litters have sodium bentonite in them. On the bag it lists a "natural clumping ingredient" but after poking around on their website I found out what that ingredient was - Sodium bentonite Scoop Away - None of the variety's list ingredients but the FAQ's say that if your animal eats a large amount to contact the vet. I emailed them asking for an ingredient list. Fresh Step - Same as Scoop Away but It also says that it doesn't have enough crystalline silica to be harmful. It even says that kind of silica is commonly used to absorb moisture in various things. Mom rembered something when you buy leather... like sneakers... There's always a small white packet that specifically say "DO NOT INGEST" . Just because it's commonly used, doesn't mean it's safe guys. Tidy Cats - Website offers no ingredients list - I emailed them EverClean - Website offers this comment "Despite numerous consultations, interviews and tests, neither Clorox, SMI nor any of the veterinarians with whom we have spoken, have been able to find any scientific evidence linking the use of clumping litter with the sickness or death of any kitten or cat...In every case the autopsy revealed there was some other underlying cause of death, totally unrelated to clumping litter. " The way they stated that last part leads me to belive that the clumping litter did SOMETHING that they noticed, it just didn't cause the death. Mom wen't to the ASPCA website and found this: "Scoopable cat litter continues to be a hot topic on the Internet, with some claiming that it is toxic and causes respiratory illness in cats. Many scoopable cat litters contain bentonite clay, a naturally occurring clay mineral that is considered to be biologically inert when ingested, and/or silica. Silica is also a physically and chemically inert substance, and is a major component found in ordinary sand. Silica is also used as a moisture-absorbing agent in the little packets found in shoe boxes, medications and some foods. According to our experts at the ASPCA Animal Poison Control Center, pets ingesting small amounts of silica gel may develop only mild gastrointestinal upset, if any signs develop at all. Cats may ingest small amounts of litter when grooming themselves after using the litter box, and these amounts pass through the digestive tract easily without problems. However, if an animal consumes a very large amount of litter (as can happen when a dog "cleans out" the litter box), gastrointestinal upset, constipation or, in rare cases, intestinal obstruction could potentially occur. "
  • A RichardA Richard PetawawaMember Posts: 16
    :-O Oh geez.... I guess I'm running to the store today. Do we have a list of SAFE litters? Thanks for all the information and the ones who did research! xo
    So far, our VetBasics is going well, and the lavender smells pretty nice. Mommy is trying to decide if it is a bit TOO sweet smelling, though. The corn, itself, is a bit sweet. But there's no sodium bentonite or silica in it - and it is completely dust free. Mommy's breathing has gotten better (she has asthma) since switching. We seem to like it, but we also seem to like to kick a lot of it out of the box since it is lighter than the clay-based litters. It scoops very well and doesn't stick to the bottom or sides of the tray (that we know of yet). It has also flushed very nicely. All in all, except that it is a bit pricey, mommy really likes it. We have it made in that mommy gets free food for us as a pet food demonstrator, so she can spend a little extra on litter and toys.
  • Nancy PattersonNancy Patterson Member Posts: 134
    Harley good research. Please let us know what you learn about Scoop Away! I looked and could not find if it had sodium bentonite. We have used World\'s Best Cat Litter in the past- a corn product - which seems fine. It says it is digestable if eaten. Then we changed to Scoop Away - maybe we will change back! Thanks for bringing this topic to our attention!=D>
  • Russell BrentRussell Brent KensingtonMember Posts: 50
    the dads had no idea about the sodium bentonite! but we've been using this stuff for years: http://www.worldsbestcatlitter.com/Products/WBCL/default.aspx and they make a multi-cat household formula for houses like ours. I'm pretty sure that it doesn't include SB.
  • Megan GarciaMegan Garcia HoustonMember Posts: 13
    edited 27 September, 2007
    Hi.. our mommie uses Sweat Scoop.. it is made of wheat. We love it! We are 2 months old and we were using Arm & Hammer multple cat little and it made me sneeze and sneeze. And the litter would get stuck in my little parts after i went TT. It didn't bother my sister Seven but mom changed anyway cause she researched that clumping litter made cats die cause they lick their fur and then they injest the litter and it makes us get blocked and then we can't go potty.
  • Lindsay PoveromoLindsay Poveromo Winter SpringsMember Posts: 350
    We second the Schweat Scoop Wheat Litter. It's awesome.
  • Mia McGregorMia McGregor South FloridaMember Posts: 69
    We all use the Swheat Scoop too-absorbs the odors well and has low tracking when fresh. We used to wheeze with the clumping clay litters and that dust got everywhere, even in rooms the litter box was not in!! Since then we've done great with the Swheat scoop-even when mommy adopted my stray sis and feral brother, they used the Swheat scoop immediately without having to be transitioned over!!;c;
  • Kim WashburnKim Washburn LouisvilleMember Posts: 1,057
    edited 28 September, 2007
    Hmmm. It looks like cat attract is safe, and we use that, but mom is gonna research it some more just to make sure. Cat attract is a precious cat litter and somecat listed a link and said they were safe. Hopefully that\'s true of the cat attract too. We have hardwood floors and even though mom has special mats outside our boxes, we manage to have kitty litter all over the place. Mom HATES it. She\'s even found it in her bed because we snuggle up and then clean our feet there. She said it\'s worse than someone eating crackers in the bed. :))
    edited 1 October, 2007
    hahah dad always yells at mom for getting crumbs in the bed but she swears she never eats in there. We always groom ourselves on the bed and its probably the litter that hes feeling!
    edited 8 October, 2007
    We get litter in the bed too. Mommy is feeling better now that we are on a new litter. She makes sure she reads the packages now. Hopefully my stuffy nose will go away too.
    edited 8 November, 2007
    Our mommy got rid of the litter we were using-in VERY tiny print on the side it said, "Caution-DO NOT breathe in dust: May cause URI and /or lung cancer" She has STOPPED coughing and is feeling so much better-she had been sick for 6 MONTHS!!!! Now she is just VERY worn out!!! What we don't understand is WHY ARE THEY SELLING THAT STUFF???? It is CLEARLY bad for people and animals!!! WHAT IS WRONG WITH SOME PEOPLE that they would sell something they know will make little furry animals and their mommies and daddies sick?????:?