Can a sick cat give their flu/cold to humans?

edited 24 September, 2007 in Cat Health
Hello again, I was wondering if anyone here knows if a cat with a flu/cold can pass it (or some form of cold/flu) onto a person? We're wondeirng because my fiance is sick and I think I might be coming down with something too, and the kitty has been sick. I think it might be coincidence, but he isn't so sure. Can anyone verify this (I don't really want to bug a veterinarian about it unless I have to, I wouldn't want to interupt something important at a place like that). Thanks!

Comments

• Shellie DeanShellie Dean BadenMember Posts: 330
    edited 24 September, 2007
    To my knowledge, pet diseases are species-specific; kitties can\'t give them to their humans (and most of them not to dogs, either) and won\'t catch anything from their people, either.
  • Diane WallineDiane Walline Hamlin (suburb of Rochester)Member Posts: 500
    Actually I JUST got back from the vet and I have a cold. Mom thought it might have been an upper repiratory infection. Thursday and Friday i could NOT stop sneezing and coincidently mom and daddy had runny noses and felt achey too! I've been getting better but they still have the sniffels. Like the previous kitty said i don't think colds can pass from species to species. Perhaps the change in weather made you all get colds at once - we think thats how we all got sick
  • edited 24 September, 2007
    Yeah, I didn't consider that when my fiance first saw her coming around it was warm out, and Velcro has the same symtoms your kitty has (we thought upper respiritory infection too, but she's improving). I also found out one of the people living here has a cold, so my fiance and I could've gotten it from him too (or the weird weather changes; it's cold for a couple, then sunny for a couple). The only reason I asked is because it seemed really coincidental that a few days we bring the kitty home, I start feeling under the weather, my fiance gets sick, and my mum gets sick too. Up until then I was under the impression that cats could only pass colds on to other cats and vise versa with humans. Thanks for all you guys' help!
  • Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
    No, colds and flus are not zoonotic between cats and humans. Some other animals, like chinchillas CAN catch these from their owners though. It varies from species to disease.