Do I have an unusually lazy/fat kitten??

Lacey KingstonLacey Kingston WilmingtonMember Posts: 7,527
edited 27 September, 2007 in Cat Health
So Hobie is we think about 4 months old and weighs a bit over 5lbs already! He sleeps about 75% of the day and loves to watch tv. When we can actually get him to play the most he'll generally do is wave his arms after the laser pointer/fishing pole/etc. Is this normal for some cats? Also, after really exerting himself, jumping around, etc. he starts panting and breathing very heavily. :?

Comments

• Jayne WatsonJayne Watson Member Posts: 53
    edited 25 September, 2007
    We cats do like to nap, hence the term cat nap!! Most of us sleep about 18 hours every day, and when we're little (like human babies) we need even more sleep!! Maybe Hobie should get a check up just to make sure he's okay?
  • Diane WallineDiane Walline Hamlin (suburb of Rochester)Member Posts: 500
    Ive always been sort of a lazy butt. I like to play tag with mom though. She covers me with a sheet on the bed and then runs and hides and I have to find her. Im pretty slick though she will be running one way thru the kitchen, and I will turn and run the other way and get her when she gets to the livingroom. But after a few minutes I get tired and out of breath and have to lay on the kitchen floor to relax. Mom says Its good that I excersize though.
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    All kittens have different personalities....but I have never seen a kitten to pant and breathe heavily after playing. I do sometimes pant when I am out taking my meowmy for a walk, but that is because the weather has been so warm (we live in South Louisiana). As another cat suggested, a visit to the vet might be in order. My sister Emma and I were VERY active when we were small kittens, and we still like to chase each other and play. We were a year old in April. Good Luck, Louis, Emma and Benny Grunch
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 27 September, 2007
    Visit the vet to rule out a URI. When I came home to mom I was lethargic and would not jump/run around much. After a while, mom could tell I had a kitty cold. The vet prescribed antibiotics, and they helped me breathe. Once I was all better, look out! I started being a lot more active!!!! (I'm reverting back to being a bit lazier, but that's because I am an adolescent cat now, and so I only play when I feel like it, rather than when mom wants me to. Mom calls that my rebellious streak. :))) When I do play, I can keep going for 10-15 minutes before I get tired. Your kitten is young, so he might have smaller, shorter, and frequent bursts of activity, but unless you work him out too much, he shouldn't pant. Mom can tell I need a break when I start laying down and batting at things without getting up. It's code for "I want to keep playing, but I am getting tired". She lets me take a five minute break, and tries again. If I'm still uninterested, I'll signal it by darting away to find my own entertainment (like the window ledge, or exploring under the desk in the bedroom), and she just lets me do my own thing. Cats can be active without their human's assistance, you know. ;)
  • Carol CanodeCarol Canode ColumbusMember Posts: 3,178
    You say in the title that your kitten is "fat". Does he have a little round pot belly? He may have worms, which would effect his energy levels. Make sure he gets wormed next time at the vet. BTW - My Pooka pants when he gets excited or plays hard. I've never seen a cat pant like him. He's healthy in every way, though. :?
  • Andrea VaileAndrea Vaile Member Posts: 26
    I\'d head to the vet just to be safe! I\'ve had cats that panted when they were hot or anxious, but never from normal playing.