Mom found a lump

Denise GraysonDenise Grayson BothellMember Posts: 2,468
edited 30 September, 2007 in Cat Health
Ok, mom is freaking out here. She was petting me and noticed a lump on the upper part of my hind leg. It seems to be about the size of a quarter maybe a bit larger. It doesn\'t seem to hurt or bother me though. She was feeling it to quite some time and I was just enjoying the attention. I did get my vacinnations about a month ago and seemed to do fine with it. Has anyone had this happen to them or can give mom some idea on what it is? She called the vet and the soonest they can see me is Thursday.

Comments

• SuKoRoSuKoRo SouthernMember Posts: 1,532 ✭✭
    edited 24 September, 2007
    Orca, does the lump feel fixed, hard and irregular in shape or is it soft, smooth and movable?
  • Denise GraysonDenise Grayson BothellMember Posts: 2,468
    Mom felt it again but not for very long. Not because it hurts but because I just don\'t want to sit still right now. It seems to be more hard then soft. It doesn\'t seem to move much. When she feels it she says it doesnt necessarily feel round and raised but when I am walking or your looking, it looks like I am smuggling a small ping pong ball under my fur. It is located on my left hind leg in the meaty section. It doesn\'t seem to bother me though and I have been running around playing. My brother bit me in the butt a few days ago when we were playing. I don\'t think it is a abcess though. It doesn\'t seem hot or tender. Mom got a good feel of it early and even sqeezed it without me even reacting. This is the first time she has noticed it.
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    It could be a vaccine reaction. Sometimes the Rabies vaccine or the FeLV vaccine can cause lumps that appear shortly after vaccination and should resolve after about 4-8 weeks. It is a good idea to get it checked though as theses lumps can turn into sarcomas and having it checked early is the first step to getting proper treatment. It may be an abscess and in days time you may become lethargic and the lump may rupture. If it's an abscess the center of the "mass" is typically soft. If this is what it seems to be, you need to go in before Thursday. Purring that it is a normal vaccine reaction and nothing more serious.
    Ok I was sitting in my drawer and mom was able to feel the area again. It seems more flat than raised even though it is a noticable lump in my fur. The reason why she is saying flat is the she can put her finger under part of it. when she does this the area she has a hold of (top and underneath) seem to be the same thickness.
    Absolutely listen to Hunter and see your vet. I\'ll just add that since you are describing a lump that\'s not definitely hard and nodular (irregular in shape), at this point in time I wouldn\'t panic. Hopefully it\'s just a temporary bump caused by the shot. Paws crossed and purring that you\'ll be fine.
    Well it seems to feel more like a disc shape (I am not sure what irregular shape would be). It has kinda the feeling of a really thick area of skin. Like I said in my earlier post she was about to put her thumb under it but only in a certain place
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    This is Delyte. I had an abcess on my neck that I did not even know was there, from "playing" with Stella and her needle-sharp teeth. The vet found it during a checkup. If you play rough it could be something from that. Let's purr that is is nothing serious, because you are just a little kitten! Okay, not so little... :)
    A nodular or irregular shaped lump would feel hard and bumpy. That would really set me off to worrying. You are describing a smooth feeling lump, something like a sebaceous cyst that humans get. (I\'m not suggesting it\'s a cyst, just used that as a comparison.) The only way to know for sure what it is is to have it checked by the vet, of course. Purrrrs.
  • Kim WashburnKim Washburn LouisvilleMember Posts: 1,057
    edited 25 September, 2007
    Ask your vet to asperate it and take a sample if you are worried. It sounds like it could even be a fatty bump. I have one and it moves around when mom "mushes" it and stuff. My vet checks it every year and mom checks it out regularly while I get my massages. Mine is just a fatty lump. Ok, no jokes ok. I know I'm a big boy ;) We'll be purring your lump is nothing serious, but please let the vet check it out just to be sure. Purrs, Jack
    edited 27 September, 2007
    Hey Everyone, I went to the vet this evening and just wanted to give everyone a update. They are unsure on what it is. They took a sample of the cells and said there was some liquid. They think it may be a strange reaction to the shot but are not sure yet if it is sarcoma. Mainly because of the shape (it is a flat round spot 1 inch around) it feels and has the shape of a chunk of matted fur. But I am shorthair so I dont get matted fur. Anyways they want mom to watch and measure it for a couple month and see if it goes away. If not it will be back to the vets to have it removed to be on the safe side.
  • hannah hannahhannah hannah town/ N'hood/ the bark parkMember Posts: 566
    edited 27 September, 2007
    well my dog sister baybee had like 5 in her belly but we took her to the vet and He Mashed them like mom would pop her ant bites :D and she hasnt had any sinse but dont do that at home i would go to the vets office and tell he or she about it :c9
  • Mia McGregorMia McGregor South FloridaMember Posts: 69
    edited 28 September, 2007
    Please , please monitor this area closely, I would probably have it removed anyway as vaccine associated sarcomas can be aggressive and so deadly and can develop in just weeks after the shot ,much less to "watch it " for months sounds crazy to me. For the future , please avoid getting the rabies vaccine every year, (FELv vaccine is not really a core vaccine and has a high associated risk of vaccine associated sarcomas too) instead have your vet take blood for titers for rabies-it is more expensive but if the titer is positive, (which it usually is for a cat's lifetime after the initial rabies shot), you don't need to rush and get another vaccine again. The vets try to abide by the law and the required annual rabies vaccine but we are over vaccinating our pets and these vaccines are not benign. Our vets have tried to push the rabies vaccine on us but mom absolutely refuses, after all we NEVER go outside and we've gotten more than the initial series of vaccines. After seeing all the bad things about these vaccine associated sarcomas (especially associated with Rabies and FELv) mama refuses to ever have us get more shots. The vet told her it's "cheaper to just give the shots" but mama has gotten titers when necessary in the pst instead and they are always positive-hence we're still immune. If you do get the rabies vaccine again, ensure that it is the Merial Purevax (for Rabies) -associated with a lower risk of the Vaccine associated sarcomas (VAS). The transdermal vaccine for FElv is NOT associated with VAS but I don't think many vets carry it and would have to be specially requested. Please do your reading on the vaccine associated sarcomas-don't believe everything your vet says as they are trained to give the shots on a schedule, no matter what and by what the law dictates....I would definitely ask the vet about removal of the questionable spot because the earlier you pick up the vaccine associated sarcomas, the greater the chances of survival. The longer you wait, it could mean an amputation and a even poorer prognosis...
    P.S. I just saw that you are an indoor kitty-even more reason to avoid anymore vaccines, if your parent is up to it, the blood tests for all the titers for the usual vaccines will check your immunity and if you continue to be immune at the intervals you are checked, you should avoid the vaccines at all costs...
    Our vet has done lots of research on this and won't give us shots every year. She says we don't need them. M0m hadn't heard about the sarcoma incidents :r until our vet told her. That's one reason our mom really likes our vet. She does her homework and seems to always do what is best for us. People have told mom she's a little more expensive than some other good vets in town, but mom won't budge. We trust our vet and feel really lucky to have one who truly seems to care about our long term health. I agree that without knowing for sure what type of bump it is, I wouldn't feel comfortable waiting months and months, especially since that is where you got your shots. Could you get a second opinion? Purring for you, Felix
    Mom had talked to the vet extensively about waiting. They said that there was nothing abnormal with the cells that they took and that when they did this there was also liquid which leads them to believe that the shot (it was the FElv) was giving some sort of reaction. They said that since I do not have a temp or showing any signs of illness that it would be best to wait and monitor the lump on a daily basis. They said that they have seen this happen at times with the vaccine and it normally appears 3 weeks after the shot. That if it gets any larger they will take it out immediatly. Also that I shouldn\'t get the FElv shot anymore. The reason mom has always fully vaccinated us is in case we get out for any reason and are exposed to other animals. Alot of people in our area are not responsible pet owners. We also live in a wooded area so there is a lot of wildlife so she will still get us our rabies shots at least. As far as a second opinion mom is comfortable with this vet and wants to avoid as much trauma to me as possible. Especially if I do have to have it removed. I get very stressed every time I have to go. Mom is going to see how it goes at least for a couple weeks and see if there is a decrease. She said that she may wait a month but if it is not even decreasing in a couple weeks will reevaluate even that.
    Oh and as far as with the waiting the vet had said that from time to time they will see a lump appear after a vaccination and that normally it resolves itself in a few months. That for it to turn into sarcoma is possible but rare and they maybe see it once a year with all the animals they treat. That it could also be a form of swelling from the shot since it doesn't feel like it is something they normally see with the sarcoma. That as long as it doesn't change shape or thickness I should be ok. Also since it doesn't cause me any pain or discomfort and my energy is as high as ever that is a good sign.
    Glad to hear that your visit went well and that your vet tested a cell sample and wasn\'t alarmed by what he/she saw. My mom is paranoid about shots and lumps as she unfortunately had to deal with a kitty\'s sarcoma. Having said that, she would do exactly what your vet has suggested and what you intend to do. There are no guarantees, of course, and mom\'s no oncologist, but your lump right now doesn\'t sound like a sarcoma. Avoiding unnecessary surgery is always a good course of action as any operation carries inherent risks. Keep a close eye on the lump and if it doesn\'t seem to be subsiding or at the slightest sign of a change for the worse get it removed ASAP. Purrring for a positive outcome!!
    yeah mom is overprotective of us too. My brother before me had FIP so she wants to make sure that my brother and I are fully protected in case we were to get out. My brother is constantly trying to get outside. She had asked the vet if the waiting would do any harm if they have to remove it and find it was Sarcoma. She also had told about my brother that had FIP and told them that she would be devistated if waiting would harm me in any way. They had told her that normally the sarcoma will not progress that rapidly and since there was nothing with the cell test to concern them that waiting and measuring it for change would be the best route. Mom feels a little stuck in this decision because she obviously does not want harm to come to me in waiting but at the same time does not want to have a surgery preformed prematurely that would put me under stress, pain and risk of infection or complications that come with it for it to be something that may clear up by itself in a few weeks.
    Yeah, we understand about waiting. Jack had a lump and mom had to monitor it too, but the vet said she really thought it was just a fatty lump and it wasn't in a shot site. When mom first found it, it was too small to even get a needle in it for a sample. Mom was worried sick. She just kept watching it and it did grow enough for a sample (in over a year's time) and it's just fatty stuff. If you trust your vet, then just keep an eye on it and make sure you let the vet know if there are changes. Hopefully, it's just a reaction and will go away. And as was already mentioned, you don't have to get your shot every year to be protected. As long as you have the antibody in your blood, you are safe. You can get the test (titer test I think) to check and if you are safe, no shot is needed. We like to run outside too and mom lets us go for supervised visits into the back yard, so we have to be careful as well. However, we are still safe even though we don't take a shot each year. Our vet just tests our blood and if we have the antibody, we don't get a shot. From now on, we will only get the shot if we are no longer protected. And as another kitty said, it's a little more expensive to get the test than the shot, but mom feels it's so much safer. Purrs, Felix
  • Jan AllenJan Allen DallasMember Posts: 2,596
    edited 29 September, 2007
    Oh please go to the vet. I don't want to scare you but this is what mom found on me in the same place. It turned out to be VAS. The vets operated and it was cancer. It is so scarey but if you catch it in time it will help. We will be praying it is ok
    We did go to the vet and they took a cell sample. They didn't see anything to concern them but said there was fluid which tells them it is probably vaccine related. They told us to watch it for a couple months. That sometimes this happens with the vaccine and it can take up to three months to resolve itself. Mom monitors it daily to make sure it is not getting and thicker or larger. The vet even thougth it looked strange for a lump because it is more of a pancake then a ball and feels like I have matted hair (which is not possible). So we think the vaccine just did something funky.
  • Darlene WagnerDarlene Wagner MilwaukeeMember Posts: 1,075
    I had a lump too-it was just a cyst, so maybe that is all you have too. Esp. considering you are full of energy!!!
    yeah they said that it was a good sign that I had more energy (if that is possible) then less and that I didn't have a temp.
    edited 30 September, 2007
    It would be good to consider gettting the Rabies blood test annually (the Rabies titer) to check if you are still immune. If that test is positive, you are still protected. From the stuff I have read, most kitties are protected for life even after just the first Rabies shot.... Also, you may want to ask your vet about the transdermal FeLv shot which is NOT associated with VAS. I know she said you shouldn't get it again (and I agree-definitely is NOT a core vaccination and efficacy is still questionable-benefit vs. risk issues) but if you decide to give this to any other kitties you may have, please enquire about the transdermal if you decide to give this vaccine. Supposedly one day we'll have a transdermal Rabies vaccine which should not be associated with VAS. In the meantime , if you do get the RAbies vaccine, always request the Merial Purevax (labelling may change soon , in that they may be able to change the labelling to every 3 years (vs. annual) as per the results of recent , ongoing studies) and always have it done on an extremity-NOT the neck/scruff area because if you do develop a sarcoma, it is almost impossible to remove those from the neck completely whereas legs can be amputated (yeah , that sounds horrific but it is a fact) and they stand a much greater chance for survival if caught early enough and the sarcoma can be removed completely.
    Well the good thing is that they always give me all of my shots in the hind end. I had three shots and they had said if I did have the FeLV again (which mom is not going to do) then I should get the shots spread out. The only reason that I got them all at once was because of the stress it puts me under just to go outside the house. I escaped from the house once and was finally found under the house too scared to move. After that and having to have a long vet stay for a mystery illness when I was two, I decided the outside was too scarey a place. I am pretty tough as long as I am inside....:)
  • Donna LenzDonna Lenz BethelMember Posts: 4,600 ✭✭✭
    Meows Orca, Just have Mom keep checking the lump. If it stays the same it is ok. If it changes shape or grows, or you do anything wierd, have her take you back to the Doc. My lump changed shape about 3 weeks after Mom found it. Turned out I had two different lumps and the Doc didn't see or feel the other until my surgery. Sneeky little bugger. I had two types of lumps. One was the type from a shot, the other was a cancer tumor. Wierd thing was - I had never had a shot where the lump formed. I am sure you saw my surgery pics - I got shaved neked as a jay bird, and had a big old incision with 21 staples. Mom made the Doc count them for her - MOL!!!!!!! Now we all know I am an Old Furt, and a day after my surgery I went back to being sweet loveable Jesse James. I had always been a brat for the Doc. I head butted and purred for everyone, including the Doc. No one could believe the change in my personality after surgery. I have now gained weight, I eat better, and my fur shines. I purr, jump on furniture, and run through the house screaming like a Death Eater. Keeping my paws crossed Jesse James