quick question

Kiwi FashionsKiwi Fashions Member Posts: 89
edited 30 September, 2007 in Cat Health
Have any of you heard of or used the product Laxatone?

Comments

• Melissa RyanMelissa Ryan Fall RiverMember Posts: 401
    edited 26 September, 2007
    I like the taste of Petromalt Hairball Remedy! To me it tastes like a special treat instead of a healthy thing.
  • Debbi ZimblerDebbi Zimbler New YorkMember Posts: 14
    edited 27 September, 2007
    I get my laxatone treat once a week. To mommy's surprise, I love it. I lick it off her fingers purring the whole time. In the 8 months I have lived here, I have never had one hairball.
  • Mia McGregorMia McGregor South FloridaMember Posts: 69
    edited 28 September, 2007
    Laxatone has the cancer causing agent sodium benzoate in it. Think about the probiotics/digestive enzymes instead puleeaze...Please see my post for the response to constipation. Thanks.
  • Karolyn KrinceKarolyn Krince Levittown, PAMember Posts: 9
    Mommy gives me laxatone when I have hairballs during certain times of the year. She gets the tuna-flavored kind but, I still don't like it. She has to pin me down and dab some on my paws. I can't stand dirty paws so I'm forced to lick it off. We've lived in several different parts of the country and all my vets have recommended laxatone. It works pretty well, I guess...
  • Andrea VaileAndrea Vaile Member Posts: 26
    My brother and I take malt-flavoured laxatone for hairballs...we love it! I don\'t know much about this \"cancer-causing\" sodium benzoate (which isn\'t listed on the label), but my mom says that she trusts our vet wouldn\'t recommend something that\'s bad for us.
  • Mia McGregorMia McGregor South FloridaMember Posts: 69
    edited 30 September, 2007
    Laxatone does indeed have sodium benzoate in it (I just checked the ingredients on line to be sure) which is a preservative considered to be unhealthy just as BHA and BHT (other preservatives) are. PETROMALT (in the tube or pump forms only-NOT the treats) DOES NOT have sodium benzoate-(I have actually called and checked with the companyin the past about this) and pretty much is the same mineral oil as the LAXATONE brand-just without the sodium benzoate. You would give a 1 inch ribbon of the Petromalt twice daily until the constipation is relieved and intermittent dosing is a 1" ribbon as needed. I would suggest if no bowel movwment in 3 or more days-or if kitty is vomiting or is lethargic/seems uncomforatable, definitely needs to see your vet-might need an enema at that point. On the other note, Yes I agree our vets shouldn't give us anything to harm our pets but they don't learn about how bad preservatives are for our pets in Vet school. Most vets sell and recommend Science Diet foods which all have preservatives, DO not contain human grade quality meats and have meat/animal by products (the dead, diseased and dying-the leftover meat unfit for human consumption) which are not very healthy for kitties if you think about it. Hence I disagree with your statement that your vet wouldn't give your pet something that is not good for them...I think we need to do our own reading and discuss the concerns we have with our vets about the ingredients in the foods and medications we give our animals-most don't have the time to do it themselves and are not aware of the controversy with all these additives in our pet foods and medicines.
  • Kiwi FashionsKiwi Fashions Member Posts: 89
    edited 30 September, 2007
    Thank you, everyone, for this helpful information. I am pleased to inform you that Kiwi is feeling much better and has had a fresh stool! She feels much better and the Laxatone worked. However, Marcy, I will definitely consider what you stated in this forum and, perhaps, use the other product you mentioned. Once again, thanks!!