Any experience with Dasuquin Supplement?

Robert LanioRobert Lanio DurhamMember Posts: 3
edited 30 May, 2008 in Cat Health
Hi, My vet has recommended a supplement called Dasuquin for Cats (made by Nutramax Labs). I was diagnosed last year with a minor condition called a Luxating Patella (where my leg sometimes gets out of joint momentarily). My vet thinks that Dasuquin will help to keep me strong. Anyone out there have any experience with this product? Thanks! -Quinn

Comments

• Heather ThompsonHeather Thompson BountifulMember Posts: 3,652
    edited 30 September, 2007
    No experience with Dasuquin yet but I have been on Cosequin for both bladder and arthritis issues and it seems to help. From what I understand, they aren't going to be having the Cosequin anymore it will just be the Dasuquin. They added some ingredient to make it better....or so that is our understanding.
  • Melissa FordMelissa Ford Santa CruzMember Posts: 3,914
    edited 1 October, 2007
    Only have experience with Cosequin. Is there a reason why your vet isn't recommending surgery to repair your luxating patella? Luxating Patella
  • Robert LanioRobert Lanio DurhamMember Posts: 3
    edited 1 October, 2007
    Hunter, My original vet explained that although common in many dog breeds, this condition is more rare in cats. Also, because a cat\'s joints are slightly smaller, the operation can be somewhat trickier. Finally, because it does not happen to me all that frequently (and goes away almost instantly), his advice was to make sure I\'m not in any pain when it occurs. I started seeing a new vet recently and she basically concurred with my original vet\'s guidance. She brought up the idea of the Dasuquin since it has been shown to help strengthen joints. Hence my original question. :) Thanks for sharing the link to the info about the corrective procedure. -Quinn
  • edited 19 October, 2007
    i know this is an old forum thread, but i just came across it. so, i hope you see this, quinn! i recently became familiar with the supplement, synflex. i have just started it out on my dog and cat, so i don\'t know of any great breakthroughs yet. i have heard a lot of good things about the product though! my dog has a luxating patella, and one of my foster kitties is recovering from a broken leg. i am giving them both synflex. it is a liquid form of glucosamine, which is supposed to be better than other forms of glucosamine supplements. maybe you would want to look into it! they have a website: www.synflexusa.com |^|
  • Jumper WilliamsJumper Williams Member Posts: 2
    edited 30 May, 2008
    I need to get some photos so I can set my kitties up on Catster, but in the meantime... My vet gave me Dasuquin capsules for my 15-year-old with arthritis (Jumper). I looked it up online and came across this thread, which led me to buy a bottle of "beef flavor" Syn-flex for pets, which I hoped would be easier for me to give to Jumper than the powder from the Dasuquin capsules. The folks at Syn-flex really have a strange idea of what beef tastes like, unfortunately (they include fructose in the formula, for one thing!). My cat refused the stuff, even when I mixed it with milk. I sniffed it to see why, and all my questions were answered. Yuck! He now grudgingly eats his normal dry food with the Syn-flex mixed with a little water and stirred into the kibble to coat it, but he was a lot happier to eat the kibble when it was mixed with Dasuquin.
  • Jumper WilliamsJumper Williams Member Posts: 2
    edited 30 May, 2008
    I need to get some photos so I can set my kitties up on Catster, but in the meantime... My vet gave me Dasuquin capsules for my 15-year-old with arthritis (Jumper). I looked it up online and came across this thread, which led me to buy a bottle of "beef flavor" Syn-flex for pets, which I hoped would be easier for me to give to Jumper than the powder from the Dasuquin capsules. The folks at Syn-flex really have a strange idea of what beef tastes like, unfortunately (they include fructose in the formula, for one thing!). My cat refused the stuff, even when I mixed it with milk. I sniffed it to see why, and all my questions were answered. Yuck! He now grudgingly eats his normal dry food with the Syn-flex mixed with a little water and stirred into the kibble to coat it, but he was a lot happier to eat the kibble when it was mixed with Dasuquin.