Kitten Mills

Pamela HaneyPamela Haney Old ForgeMember Posts: 893
edited 1 November, 2007 in Laws & Legislation
I found this heart wrenching story on www.messybeast.com. It's written from a kitten's perspective about coming from a kitten mill. I would HIGHLY recommend you do not read this at work because you will cry, and I'm not talking a tear or two. If you are going to read this, go get yourself a new box of Kleenex. Although sad, everyone should to know the truht about kitten mills. :(( :(( http://www.messybeast.com/moggycat/kittenmill.htm The first poem is sad enough, but the narrative underneath is what got me.

Comments

• joy wampolejoy wampole Member Posts: 626
    edited 4 October, 2007
    Oh Winter, I really did not think it was going to be that sad, but the truth of it is just so painful.................... Hopefully if this will change just one persons perspective it will have done some good. Sophie and Charlita
  • Misty ChristoMisty Christo OmahaMember Posts: 806
    edited 5 October, 2007
    This is the first time Mom has even heard anyone mention kitten mills. There's so much publicity for puppy mills. She hasn't read the sad poems yet. She already knows the life of an animal bred for any purpose can begin and end in tragedy.
  • DONNA KELLY-BIRCHDONNA KELLY-BIRCH kenoshaMember Posts: 1,018
    edited 5 October, 2007
    Mama did what you said not to do, and just read it at work. She is pretending she has a cold and something in her eye - all at the same time. Mama should really know better - even the Rainbow Bridge poem makes her cry!!
  • edited 5 October, 2007
    I could barely keep myself from crying. :((:(( Luckly none of my cats came froma pet store. I don't think they sell kittens at the Pet stores in Bartlett?
  • Becky KrailBecky Krail Walnut CreekMember Posts: 69
    edited 7 October, 2007
    Oh dear....momma's not sure if she should read this...she loves all creatures great and small and wants to save everyone...but she cries even when she sees ASPCA commercials....perhaps another day?..... And I've vaguely heard of kitten mills....they are the dirty undercover things no one likes to talk about...I've heard they are worse than puppy mills because some stupid people think a cats life is less precious. :((
  • olivia qaderolivia qader Member Posts: 20
    edited 31 October, 2007
    I cant....Im such a pro-cat person. Im basically a cat. I have no feelings for humans AT ALL unless i personally know them and really like them. And not as much for other animals but like 100X more than humans, but cats thats just like 9999999999999999999999999999999999999 x a google times more than anything else, stuff like this makes me so depressed. I hate being human.
  • olivia qaderolivia qader Member Posts: 20
    edited 31 October, 2007
    But could someone vaugley tell me about kitten mills? in a not-so-depressing way?
  • Jan AllenJan Allen DallasMember Posts: 2,596
    edited 31 October, 2007
    OH MY - sniff sniff is all mommy and me can do. Such a said story.
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 31 October, 2007
    Chloe, the story made mommy so, so sad, and I don't like my mommy when she's sad. It scares me a lot, and sometimes it makes me run away from her, when she cries a lot. The story is about a little kitten who loses every cat around him to being sickly, and when s/he finds a nice home with a child who really, really loves her/him, they learn that the kitten has a heart defect that s/he probably inherited from her/his sickly kitten mill mother, and that s/he might not be long for this world. Then the kitten and her/his family take that painful last visit to the vet, and he goes to the Rainbow Bridge. S/he's done being sick, and looks down to the little girl, who now has a new kitten who came from a shelter. S/he's glad for the little girl and the new kitten, but s/he wishes s/he could have grown up with them too.
  • Beth KennedyBeth Kennedy Champaign / UrbanaMember Posts: 12
    edited 1 November, 2007
    This was so sad!! And I\'ve worked at a shelter for several years - so its even sadder. (Anyone remember the pedigree commercial with the shelter dogs? That made all of the employees at our shelter break down every time we saw it, because it was so true!) For a couple people who asked - kitten mills are places that breed cat for quantity - they try and get as many kittens out of each cat as they can to make as much money as possible before the cat dies. And if it stops reproducing before it dies, they either kill it or dump the cat somewhere. They are given NO medical care, never cleaned, are kept in cramped caged, and given whatever the cheapest possible food is to keep costs down. The people are just trying to make money. Any kittens and puppies being sold in pet stores (this is not counting the stores that have animals from local shelters available, just for sale animals) come from puppy and kitten mills. Reputable breeders would NEVER sell their babies through a store - they want to know the new owners personally! This story is so sad. Whats worse is that, despite the publicity mills seem to get, there are so many clueless people out there. There is a local puppy store that opened that people get all gaga over - but its all just a front for mills and horror...and sadly, the owner is so successful that she\'s opening another branch of her store, this time at Watertower Place in Chicago!! (PLEASE DON\'T BUY FROM \"THE LUCKY PUPPY\"! ) With so many of us adorable little ones in shelters, its horrifying to think that there are still people trying, and succeeding, to make money off of us, at the cost of our health and well being.