I want a cat, but my dog doesn\\\'t

Laura CahillLaura Cahill MissoulaMember Posts: 267
edited 16 December, 2007 in Choosing the Right Cat
I am wanting a furry feline in my home, but I have a dog, Finn, who was not raised around cats. (You can see his dogster page at http://www.dogster.com/dogs/245152). For example, when neighborhood cats wander into our yard he chases them out! I know its horrible, I tell him \"No\" and drag him in the house. On a positive note, my sister has a cat and Finn was trained to leave her when she is in the house and the backyard. He has been OK with friend\'s cats, when they are in the house. But he will chase cats when they are out in the open, its in his breed to chase, he is a herding dog. I think we are capable of training him to \"Leave Kitty\" in the house, but I want to be sure. So my question for you Catsters is would it be better for me to get a kitten so it is raised to know Finn? Or an adult cat that is OK with dogs and can somewhat fend for itself ? Or is this just a really bad idea and the poor cat would be terrorized by Finn forever?! I want a happy family with both cats and dogs! :o) |^|

Comments

• Jo MillerJo Miller Member Posts: 1,915
    edited 17 October, 2007
    I think a kitten would be the best choice. Meowmy has a Blue Heeler dog who was here first. She got me as a kitten when Blue was between one and two years old. A Kitten can defend itself - just not as well as an older cat. On the other hand - Kritter came to live with us when he was about 5 1/2. He grew up with a Heinz 57 Dog, but he HATED Blue. Kritter mostly lives upstairs now and doesn\'t see Blue that much. So it all really depends on what you want. It\'s going to be a little hard for you no matter which you get. :^: :q
  • Desiree JohnsonDesiree Johnson RosevilleMember Posts: 3,736
    edited 17 October, 2007
    No. Herding dogs have high prey drives.If they are not desensitized to everything in a very important stage in their life (the first month),it's incredibly hard to train the prey drive out of them later in life.Since he's already shown that chases he cats,getting a cat isn't a smart idea.
  • Laura CahillLaura Cahill MissoulaMember Posts: 267
    edited 17 October, 2007
    Well Finn was trained to leave my sisters cat alone and has left other cats in friends homes alone (ones that he has never met before) . Some folks on dogster recommended keeping the kitty separated for a while in a baby gated room or with the door shut and progressive swap a blankets with each others smell on them. Allow the kitty to be on my lap around Finn (after kitty is somewhat settled) and praise Finn for non-anxious attention paid towards the cat or completely ignoring kitty when told to. I do recognize that he has a chase drive, but he is extremely mellow for his breed and responds well to training. But I appreciate your responses and will continue to think about this, logically. I wont be able to adopt until January as I am too busy with my master\'s research to do anything else (except think about a fuzzy kitty kid!), but come January, I will be locked in my house writing my thesis, that will be a good time to welcome someone new to our family!
  • Kelly HendryKelly Hendry Charlottesville, VAMember Posts: 556
    edited 18 October, 2007
    I would try fostering. That way if Finn really can't get along with a kitty friend you haven't made a commitment to a kitty already...and if it does, then you have a new friend!
  • kirsty pengellykirsty pengelly LondonMember Posts: 852
    edited 19 October, 2007
    i think sam has a great idea
  • Ashley NollenAshley Nollen RichmondMember Posts: 333
    edited 8 November, 2007
    My dog Josie is great with cats. She never chases them and will lay down right next to them. BUT when I took her to my cousin's place she chased the barn cat on top of the roof- TWICE. Didn't make me a happy camper. But... if the cat had not run (which generally is the correct course of action when large 55 pound dog comes running at you) she wouldn't have done a thing. She also barks at the feral cats that I feed that walk outside the fence at home. My boyfriend's dog also barks and chases outdoor kitties but is fine with the cats inside- she also wouldn't hurt them. So I wouldn't judge your dogs behavior on outdoor cats. They have lots of space to run and chase outside, but that may be all the dog wants to do. If your dog adapted to an indoor cat already I think you will be ok. I would be inclined to say get an adult cat. A kitten is more delicate and may not take rough playing well- or being chased. An adult cat already use to dogs will also be more inclined to bop a dog on the nose if they are too annoying. I would recommend keeping the cats claws- I would in general- but it would serve as more as a determinate for the dog. Herding dogs can be taught to get along with cats, some more than others. I would second what Sam said... why don't you go to a rescue org and say you want to "Foster to Adopt" Tell them you want to see if your dog can adapt to the cat and if all goes well you can adopt. Also when the cat has your smell on him/her then the dog will know its a family member. The main reason why I think it would be ok is because the dog already adjusted to one indoor cat, I see no reason why the dog wouldn't be ok with another cat.
  • Michelle DawsonMichelle Dawson BaltimoreMember Posts: 1,619
    edited 2 December, 2007
    My canine sis is part blue heeler, part beagle, and she is fine with cats in the house that are part of her "pack". You say that Finn responds well to training and is mellow for his breed, and you know your dog best. With proper introduction, I would say go ahead.
  • Laura CahillLaura Cahill MissoulaMember Posts: 267
    edited 3 December, 2007
    Thanks for the vote of confidence Wolfie and Waverly! I have been reading a lot about introducing dogs and cats and feeling better about working with both animals. I'm leaning more towards a young adult. Do you think saying that I would like to "foster and possibly adopt" makes me sound wishy washy? Would they be less inclined to let me foster/adopt? Edit: I am the orginal poster, this is not my cat..it's a stray that I have been feeding while abroad...my surrogate pet!
  • Alana RobertsAlana Roberts BrooklynMember Posts: 758
    edited 15 December, 2007
    YOu just have to be firm with yoru dog and train him right, any mistake can cost a kitty their life. When you go to piock out a kitty take the dog with you then you can see how he responds and who if anyone he gets along with.
  • Ima KittenIma Kitten Nacogdoches, TXMember Posts: 164
    edited 16 December, 2007
    I live with two shelties, which are herding dogs, & we toss & play like I'm "one of the DOG guys" :c9 I decided on a kitten but bought caps for his nails because although the cat could tell them no if things got rough - no ones eye would get nailed just incase! Both dogs still react to STRAY cats although they dearly love Aden. It's just a whole different ballgame when you LIVE with a dog-friendly cat, (which I immediately looked for when browsing Petfinder). Obedience is a must for the dogs though - complete consistancy & equal time for all.