Catnip or no catnip?

Melody HartwellMelody Hartwell ParadiseMember Posts: 624
edited 15 May, 2005 in What I Love About Catster
Do you guys like catnip? It doesn't really do anything for me, but I have heard that it can make some kitties all hyper and crazy... is this true? What silly things do when "on" catnip? Mom wishes that the catnip worked on me, so that she could laugh at me.

Comments

• Diana MertensDiana Mertens Warner RobinsMember Posts: 5,435 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I did work on me somewhat when I was young, but after I got older it didn't do much for me. I think it depends on the kitty. Mommy had a kitty long before I was born who would go crazy on catnip. She would race around the house and shred things up!
  • Cheryl SimsCheryl Sims DallasMember Posts: 869
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I have my own big pot of catnip. Mom started it from seeds. I like to eat it then roll all over the carpet. I sometimes run around a few times. The store brand dried catnip is good for me scratching post & the spray is great to refresh your older toys.
  • Charlene DitnerCharlene Ditner FormosaMember Posts: 1,545 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I love soft toys with catnip in them. I love the smell and it makes me roll around on the floor and purr. I don't go crazy on it, it just puts me in a really happy mood for a while.
  • Kailie HicksKailie Hicks Saint JohnMember Posts: 116
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Ohhhh, I LOVE catnip! Mommy says I'm a little lush. I roll around in it and will swat the other kitties if they get too close... Mmmm, so good. Honeysuckle is good too!
  • Beth TheveBeth Theve ColumbusMember Posts: 27
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I love rolling in catnip, but it doesn't make me crazy...well, crazier...I'm only about 7 weeks old now, so I'm already crazy. At least that's what Mommy says. ;o) It doesn't affect my brother Nico at ALL...he hates how it gets all over his paws. (He's a dork...but don't tell him I said that!)
  • Rebekah DaubenspeckRebekah Daubenspeck WinooskiMember Posts: 24
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I only like it when I'm in the right mood. When mom gives me a new catnip toy, i suck on it and hold it close to me, even though it's soaking wet. My mom had a cat when she was younger who adored catnip. He got a BIG catnip toy for christmas, and got so stoned from it, they had to vacuum around him because he refused to move at all.
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    LOL Ben! That is too funny. We love the nip! Our mommy usually gives it to us as a treat after she trims our claws. We especially love the fresh stuff that mommy picks from under the bushes in the summertime. My brother, Arthur, likes to take one leaf at a time, hold it down and lick it. I just suck it up like a vacuum. So usually finish mine first, then I just shove him over and eat his, too! HahahahahahaHA! You'd think he'd have learned by now, we've lived together for over a decade. We don't get crazy, though. We just roll around on the floor and enjoy the buzz. :-)
  • Nancy HornbergerNancy Hornberger Commerce Twp.Member Posts: 3,723
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Did you say "Catnip?" Where is it? Do you have some? I need some! Where is it? Must have catnip!!!!!!!!!Come on, give it up!!!
  • jenniecarra andriesjenniecarra andries baton rougeMember Posts: 676
    edited 27 February, 2006
    i love catnip. in fact, i just ate some today!
  • MARY HEFFERNANMARY HEFFERNAN Valley of The MoonMember Posts: 13,688
    edited 27 February, 2006
    We're with you, Bailey-- catnip might as well be straw (which is more fun to play with, now that I think about it)! A friend of the cat mother said it was because we never had fresh stuff. She brought over this green branchy thing and we looked at it like "yeah?" Jacques dragged it around a bit to be polite until she left -- then we let it lie on the floor until it wilted.
  • Melody HartwellMelody Hartwell ParadiseMember Posts: 624
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Selket... that is too funny! Ha ha... yeah, mom is thinking about trying the fresh stuff. For now, she is growing "cat oats"... a special grass that cats like to eat and is good for their tummies. When it is all grown we will let you know if I like it!
  • Nicole MeyerNicole Meyer ReadingMember Posts: 767
    edited 27 February, 2006
    When I was younger Id agree it had a bigger affect. I would run around the house like a nut, jumping on things and meowing. Now that Im older I think Ive grown a tolerance for it, but I still love it I just wanna it all of it once I just taste it.
  • MARY HEFFERNANMARY HEFFERNAN Valley of The MoonMember Posts: 13,688
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Oh, Mayor Bailey -- NO! You are in recovery! What if you mess up the rehab and get disbarred...
  • Leanne JenkinsLeanne Jenkins Port AngelesMember Posts: 73
    edited 27 February, 2006
    CATNIP! My favorite! I like it dried, and will try to open the plastic tub it comes in. But I LOVE it fresh. We have our own potted catnip outside so we can just go help ourselves whenever the urge strikes. Sometimes I just lie in it. When we eat it after it's gone to seed, our human finds it growing in the oddest spots in the garden. >00< Some cats don't have the "catnip response"--it's a gene or something--you can usually tell by six months of age if they have it. Catnip helps with digestion, and whenever any of us seem to be having a little tummy trouble, our human makes sure we get some and we don't complain! They say too much catnip will have the reverse effect, a deadened response or higher tolerance like any *drug*. I say there is no such thing as too much nip. We don't have catnip toys, we just prefer it sprinkled on the condo so we can eat it. Of course, the dog always wants what we're having and can't figure out what the big deal is. He wants to know if there is such a thing as "dognip." What a dufus.
  • Katie WalterKatie Walter HoltMember Posts: 2,808
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I love catnip it makes me goofy. Mom doesn't give it to us all that often but when she does I really really enjoy it...speaking of which. "mommy....purr.....can I have some today?"
  • Katie WalterKatie Walter HoltMember Posts: 2,808
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Mom is pulling out the catnip now!! I love it, it makes me mellow and happy for a long time. Shiloh gets all goofy.
  • Lindsay NeisenLindsay Neisen OakdaleMember Posts: 2
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I absolutely looooove catnip. My family buys me some kind and that is extra potent. If they're not careful, I will scoop it out of the container and get it all over everything. I don't like it when anyone touches my catnip either. My sister, Callie doesn't really like it, but that's okay because that means I get more. I don't understand why they don't just leave the catnip on the carpet for me, and they bring out that scary monster to suck it all up. Sometimes, I can still smell it on the carpet, even after it's been gone for a while and I lay there and roll around in it!
  • Sarah MinerSarah Miner MaplewoodMember Posts: 3,790
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My mom trys giving me catnip all of the time and I really dont like it much. I just sniff it and walk away. My canine sister usually eats it right up though.
  • felicity deanfelicity dean Member Posts: 8
    edited 27 February, 2006
    ooooooh, i luv cat nip! our peeopl by us a plant, it sits on tiles nere fia place so we can sniff n eet it wile we relaxin. i rub my nose in it n eat it den i get silly, run roun house playin wif evrythin, it make me scratch bonnie lots too, i luv to pounce on her n bite her eers wif my teef! bonnie she get dopy on cat nip, she rub her face in it too n eets it, she get all dwooly and roll roun on car pet wif her eyes half closed! is funny wen i wach her all sleepy den i pounce n rune her buzz but she jus eat more an get it back. we bofe luvs it o whole lot, we bofe also luv cat grass but nassa eets it too an she a norty piggy n try to eat it all!
  • Connie Cardwell-WhitisConnie Cardwell-Whitis RichardsonMember Posts: 173
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Speaking of piggy, ix-nay on the atnip-kay. Neither Mick nor I care a twit for it. Cat-mom periodically gives organic/dried to us and we endure a one-minute lecture on its benefits. Sniff, lick (we'll take a small nibble just enough to satisfy her because it's good for digestion supposedly)...but it has no effect on us. Following someone's suggestion, cat-mom offered us fresh, which actually made MY eyes water. Mick sniffed it and backed away. She said we are the first cats she's had not to go wild over it. I think we are 'firsts' for her in a lot of things. We don't bother her houseplants either. Why should we? Chinese fried rice is MUCH better!
  • Megan CMegan C St GeorgeMember Posts: 115
    edited 27 February, 2006
    No. I must be too young still... maybe Mom should have researched it first. I have no interest in catnip at all. But I love the toy mouse she's supposed to put the catnip in. It's been emptied, though, since I didn't like the nip!
  • Patty DonicaPatty Donica BristolMember Posts: 335
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I looooove catnip!! Whether it's inside a stuffed toy or sprinkled on top of my scratching post - can't get enough of it! My daddy even made me a pillow for Christmas with catnip inside - that was the best present ever!!
  • Gimli_TGMGimli_TGM HurstMember Posts: 29,929 ✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Kahlan, Gimli and I looooveee catnip! Once our human dad left the new bag of catnip that came with our kitty scratcher on the kitchen table and left the house. We he got back we had had a catnip party in the kitchen! We were rolling all over the floor! Isis and Aphrodite don't pay attention to catnip though. And our bridge sisfur Kiki didn't like it very much either.
  • Lorraine BrinerLorraine Briner Member Posts: 4,098
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I am a catnip junkie! (Or at least my Mom says I am..lol) She has a container growing for me on the porch. I love it fresh or dried...it doesn't matter to me as long as I get my fix!
  • Daisy GeaslandDaisy Geasland GlendaleMember Posts: 1,438
    edited 27 February, 2006
    My mummy is allergic to catnip so i've never been allowed to have catnip
  • Tara ScarlettTara Scarlett RaynhamMember Posts: 196
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I always thought it was just OK, but then Mommy bought me a new brand... OOOH! I tried to eat the bag! But Daddy wouldn't let me! Man it was GOOD! Mommy put it in a toy she knitted for me, and I've been sucking and chewing on that thing for a week now! YUM!
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Allergic to catnip??! I have never heard of such a thing before! Poor Spikey! I feel for ya!!!
  • Craig RoseCraig Rose Santa ClaraMember Posts: 13
    edited 27 February, 2006
    I'll admit it - I get woozy and a little disoriented on catnip. My brother doesn't get anything from catnip. I love to smell it and roll around the floor. I'll even bite my pop when I am under the influence. Good stuff!!! Pandy Rose
  • Natalie WebsterNatalie Webster WellingtonMember Posts: 31
    edited 27 February, 2006
    i used to love catnip! one time nat(my owner) wrapped it up for me as a present and i ripped my present open before christmas but now im no longer attracted to the stuff but i used to be
  • Nancy HornbergerNancy Hornberger Commerce Twp.Member Posts: 3,723
    edited 27 February, 2006
    Miss Kitty, are you sure you are not in denial. Or did you give up the catnip for a little Tequila? Tee, Hee =^..^=