Help! Need ADVICE badly

Patrizia CharpingPatrizia Charping CharlotteMember Posts: 159
edited 3 November, 2007 in Choosing the Right Cat
Okay Its happened we are about to add a fourth to our little unit (the two dogs and one cat).. on Saturday we are bringing a gorgeous little two year old Persian mix into our home on a trial basis to see if everyone gets along. Her name is Hope, she has been declawed (like Ascher) and all her tests, shots, etc up to date and fixed of course. her owner was an older woman who had to go into assisted living which is why she up for adoption. She has a very sweet disposition IF YOU ARE INTERESTED in Seeing Hope.. I have created a mini page for her with my other babies.. she is in her cage and the note is attached as you can see.. not much to tell yet.. Also if you have ideas for names that would be great, but given her circumstances "Hope" is kind of growing on me. My question is Ascher sort of blew right in here and did fine.. I am reading some things about litter boxes.. many say that I need two boxes (I dont want to do that) and I have read they can share a box also.. any ideas on how to do this and bring another fur baby in.. I need any and all suggestions.. everything I read conflicts, any advice or help would be appreciated. Thanks!!! ;c;;c;

Comments

• Michele AshleyMichele Ashley Chattanooga/HixsonMember Posts: 3,161
    edited 2 November, 2007
    Hope sounds like a great name to me. Since she has already had her shots and tests no health worries. I would introduce them slowly. Let each of them smell each other. They probably wont like each other at first. Give it a week at least for her to adjust. Congratulations on your new addition.
  • Darlene WagnerDarlene Wagner MilwaukeeMember Posts: 1,075
    edited 2 November, 2007
    Well, I would do the two litter boxes-esp since you will need to keep them apart for awhile until they get use to each other. I couldn't stand just having one litter box-I'd be cleaning it all the time! Besides that the box will be much more smelly...mine (2 cats) use one for potty and one for poo-it is very funny!
  • Forrest JenkinsForrest Jenkins Member Posts: 439
    edited 2 November, 2007
    When cats first meet, sometimes there are territory issues, even if they are mild. Two litter boxes in different locations in the house will allow both cats to have their own space at times when most cats value their privacy tremendously! If territory problems develop over one litter box, you may end up with one of the two cats going somewhere else they feel comfortable. Also, when introducing a new cat, it's usually best to isolate the new one in its own room (a "safety zone") for at least a week or so. They can smell each other under the door, you can swap their beds/blankets so they get used to sharing, and typically, the transition to a true two-cat household is a lot easier after the introduction period. Doing that will require an additional litter box anyway. I have two litter boxes for two cats, and it's not much maintenance at all. I spend all of five minutes a day cleaning them, so it's not bad at all.
  • Patrizia CharpingPatrizia Charping CharlotteMember Posts: 159
    edited 2 November, 2007
    thanks for the info. I have a great self cleaning box and as you know they are not cheap. Can I do the second box as a temporary one? I realty don't want a litter box in the hallway. Aschers is in the laundry room but there is not room for two there. The rest of the rooms are in use. To keep them apart I will use the spare bedroom for a week but a box in there long term is also not a good solution. My house has a very open floor plan so I don't want it where it is seen. Thanks!
  • Melissa RyanMelissa Ryan Fall RiverMember Posts: 401
    edited 2 November, 2007
    As long as you're keeping up on the cleaning, you can have just one box for two cats. I can understand your space issues, I have them myself. I have 4 cats using one box. I clean it 3 or 4 times a day. (I always clean the poop out right away.) My cats tell me when it's time to clean it so it helps!
    edited 2 November, 2007
    Thanks, that does help. I have the scoop free box which cleans itself I only have to change the cartridge about every three weeks. I love that thing
  • Jenna LuskJenna Lusk Pacific NWMember Posts: 2,034
    edited 2 November, 2007
    At first, you will want to keep the kitties in separate rooms, which means a different litter box for your new baby until she can be released into your home. Take the introductions slowly; Ascher will probably not be very happy at first, but don't worry - he'll grow to love her, I'm sure! Take a towel and rub it all over your boy and bring it in for Hope to smell and get used to. Do the same with Hope and let Ascher get used to her smell on a towel. Be sure to give Ascher lots of attention during the process. Hope will just be happy to have a small space to get used to at first and will appreciate the attention you give her. I think the self-cleaning box is a great idea. My two kitties share a mommy-cleaned litter box and do well. I am interested in what type of box you use, though, as I might want to try one! Has the kitty been around dogs before? If not, you will definitely want to take that introduction slowly, as well. She'll be a bit stressed out as it is, having lost her original home and person, so it might take a while for her to feel comfortable with the surroundings, the animals, and even the people. Good for you! Maybe she'll even keep Ascher company at night so he won't turn into William Wallace anymore!
  • Jenna LuskJenna Lusk Pacific NWMember Posts: 2,034
    edited 2 November, 2007
    Oh, and if you decide to change Hope's name... William Wallace was said to have had a wife, who was killed trying to protect him. Her name was Marion Braidfute, although there doesn't seem to be any official documentation about their relationship. I thought it would be funny, given Ascher's battering-ram abilities, if you named her something relating to the legend of William Wallace. Of course, her original name, Hope, is beautiful and full of meaning.
  • naomi codynaomi cody Charm CityMember Posts: 537
    edited 2 November, 2007
    mom had 2 litter boxes when i got here but then she noticed one stayed clean and the other was soiled regularly. so mom said she put away the 2nd one since it was smaller for traveling purposes. she said she made it harder than it needed to be:)) it took 2 wks for us to like each other, now we're best friends.
    edited 2 November, 2007
    Thanks so much for all the advice.. Hope has been raised around other dogs but I do love the towel idea!! Her room is ready and I have crystal litter the foster mom said to mix it with her regular litter so she understands the concept and then I can go to one box.... tomorrow at 2... thanks for all the help , I added a new photo of her today, i went to petsmart and got lucky.. the guy who was feeding the cats was there and he let me sit and spend some time with her so my timing was good!! she is so soft and sweet
  • Forrest JenkinsForrest Jenkins Member Posts: 439
    edited 3 November, 2007
    Best of luck! Boy/girl cat pairings usually get along just fine after introductions. For some reasons, even the most rambunctious boys are friendlier and more open to new kitties in their homes than the most docile girls. As long as Miss Hope has her own space for a little while to get comfortable, she should blend into your family just fine. And kudos for adopting a grown cat!
  • AshPoGusAshPoGus AlbuquerqueMember Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭
    edited 3 November, 2007
    I\'m a little late but just wanted to tell you that I shared a litter box for 15 years with my sister, and she and I didn\'t even get along all that well -- but we never had any problems with one litter box. My mom never knew she was supposed to have more than one. But, Mom was home with us to scoop the litter box whenever it needed it.