Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

I don\\\'t like wet food..

Amee BarnettAmee Barnett Morgantown, WVMember Posts: 31
edited 16 November, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
My human buys me Maxximum Kitten food to eat, because she is on such a tight budget and can\'t afford the really good kinds quite yet. So she wanted to buy me wet food as part of my diet too.. she\'s tried three different brands and I don\'t like any of them! Well, I\'ll eat a couple of bites but I never finish it.. is it normal for a kitty not to like wet food? Or do you think my human\'s just not buying me the right kind? She\'s tried Meow Mix cups, Special Kitty, and Whiskas pouches.. all different varieties too. Of course, she didn\'t know before that those brands aren\'t the best. Do you think if she buys me some more expensive cans, I might like them more? If so, what are some fairly cheap, but still good for me brands? If I still don\'t like them, is it okay only to have a dry food diet? Or is there some human food she might be able to give me as substitutes? She\'s a vegetarian so she doesn\'t have meat in the house very often.

Comments

• Darlene WagnerDarlene Wagner MilwaukeeMember Posts: 1,075
    edited 6 November, 2007
    YUCK wet food is GROSS!!!!!! I HATE it-I won't even take a bite, and mommy has tried SIX different brands. She just makes sure I have enough water to drink, so I get a lot of liquids and gives me dry food. I have a fountain, so I love to drink water! Also there is always wet food around because my goody-goody sister loves it.
  • Vanessa BobackVanessa Boback TampaMember Posts: 3,149
    edited 6 November, 2007
    Me and my sister LOOVEEE wet food.... It just depends on the cat I guess. Make sure there's plenty of water available and you should be fine. =; Or you can keep trying, sometimes they will give in after a while!!
  • Darlene WagnerDarlene Wagner MilwaukeeMember Posts: 1,075
    edited 6 November, 2007
    I like Chicken Soup for the Pet Lovers' Soul Cat Food and Wellness brands-YUMMY!!!! Also Friskies Fine Cut fish-YUMMY YUMMY-oh it is so good, I need to eat some NOW!!!!!!
  • Yipee LadybugYipee Ladybug Member Posts: 3,805
    edited 6 November, 2007
    Dry food only is fine, as long as there is water around. *They* say that wet food is better in many respects, so that we kitties can get enough moisture, but what can *they* do if we refuse to eat it b/c we think dry food taste better?? Besides, *they* say that having some dry food is good for teeth cleaning. So you win some, you lose some. But we kitties will do just fine....as long as we get what we want. ;)
  • kate vonkkate vonk BoiseMember Posts: 1,313
    edited 6 November, 2007
    my cats will just not eat some kinds and flavors of wet food. it just doesn't happen. they do tend to ike more expensive grain free brand sthough because they are meatier.
  • Amee BarnettAmee Barnett Morgantown, WVMember Posts: 31
    edited 6 November, 2007
    Thanks everyone! I guess I am just picky! |^|
  • edited 6 November, 2007
    Many cats will not eat wet food. Although against the common belief, many cats actually prefer dry food. It simulates the crunching of prey bones, Canned food doesn't do such a thing. It's mushy and full of artificial gravy that some cats hate. You say your paw parent is on a tight budget? Maybe try a raw food diet. It is WAY cheaper than kibble, trust me. (Natasha used to eat Purina Cat Chow, THAT, is a tight budget lol). She is so healthy and full of life now. I never imagined her getting healthier than she already was, but despite being sekptical, the raw diet worked and I will probably never go back to kibbles.|^|
  • Amee BarnettAmee Barnett Morgantown, WVMember Posts: 31
    edited 7 November, 2007
    Thanks, Natasha. I've heard a lot about raw diets but I've never really looked into the specifics.. I'll have to do some research.
  • Stephanie ChangtuStephanie Changtu Miami Fl,Member Posts: 883
    edited 14 November, 2007
    Oreo didn't like wet food first either.What I did was mix the dry with the canned and increase the amount of canned and less dry untill he ate only canned.
  • edited 14 November, 2007
    All The Fiends were brought up on dry food; at first, vet recommended, but now just what we think is healthy. No vet or anything we have read says this is a bad thing. Of course there is always plenty of water. I agree that considering the manufacturing processes now, it might be hard to find a quality, or even healthy, wet food! We would opt for raw instead (if anycat would eat raw...).
  • Tanya MundyTanya Mundy boulderMember Posts: 763
    edited 15 November, 2007
    Also remember, kitten\'s tummies are the size of a peanut or something like that. it don\'t take much food to fill a peanut shell up, does it. :-) a few bites at a time may be all she needs to feel full.
  • Marta GasperMarta Gasper FairburyMember Posts: 636
    edited 16 November, 2007
    I like dry but mushy;) that's because I had all my teeth extracted earlier this year..I love some wet food too.