Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

OMC! Special Gifts are Now Live!

Comments

• Samantha PittengerSamantha Pittenger NorthernMember Posts: 14,599
    edited 8 November, 2007
    Samoa, we were just about to post the same! I had the same problem when I hit a rosette, or something, and then when I scrolled down, it went bye bye! ::o
  • Jennifer FestaJennifer Festa Capitola/Santa Cruz/CaliforniaMember Posts: 864
    edited 8 November, 2007
    We agree with Boogers, 18 zealies? Are you guys rolling in the catnip down there at HQ? That's a lot of zealies for something that doesn't last forever on a page! No way are we spending that much. Sorry, just isn't going to happen. I hope you do get the fleas out of the system soon. The new way that you view rosettes is not working very well, the pop up is way at the bottom of my computer screen and I can't read half of it, and when I scroll up it disappears. Also, my rosettes are all out of whack on my page, but it looks like you guys are working on that... I love catster, but sometimes it think if it "ain't broke, don't fix it"
    edited 8 November, 2007
    OMC! Hondo, Samoa and I all just Meowed about the same problem at the same time!!! How funny.
    edited 8 November, 2007
    :))!:))!:))! Great minds think alike!
  • Diana GabaldonDiana Gabaldon PortlandMember Posts: 5,607
    edited 8 November, 2007
    I can see my friends pages now but they are running in ultra slow motion. I notice a lot of Catster is. Must still have fleas. We agree on the price. 18 zealies? Thats crazy! I will probably give a lot more of the 4 zealie gifts than I did before because now there is variety. I tell you what I might pay 18 zealies for. I would like a zealie that my whole family can give together to another whole family. I have some friends who's brother or sisters don't get as much attention. I know from personal experience that I am a Catster hog over my sis LuLu. It would be nice to celebrate family occasions as such with one rosette/gift that shows up on all their pages. What do you think?
    edited 9 November, 2007
    That\'s a cool idea Diego. I know that my brother Alex sure does get more attention than Raymond and Toot and I! We would love to be able to bask in some of his reflected popularity! :c9 Plus it would be fun to give whole families a gift they could all share...
    edited 9 November, 2007
    Diego, that's a good idea too! I know families with multiple cats often have one or two cats who aren't as recognized... GOOD point! =;
  • edited 9 November, 2007
    Is anycat else having jerky scrolling on the cat pages? The forums seem okay, but the scrolling on other pages is like we are old or overloaded, which we are not. I don't think. ??? Could it be so many new items added to Catster's server?
  • Diana GabaldonDiana Gabaldon PortlandMember Posts: 5,607
    edited 9 November, 2007
    My thoughts were something along the lines of say a family is getting a new addition or two. It would be nice to send one rosette/gift to the whole family congratulating them. Another example is if a family member passes, it would be nice to send condoldences to the whole family. This is where I actually first thought a "family rosette" would be great.
  • ZACKandZOEYZACKandZOEY Cave Creek, AZMember Posts: 12,043 ✭✭
    edited 9 November, 2007
    :-h I\'m back!!! Whew!! The pages are a little slow now but I think it is all coming together. I like that some of the cutest gifts are only 4 zealies and last a month or two weeks. I think they will be more fun to give for honors and special occasions than a Star. I can see giving one of the bigger items for a very very special occasion and they are bigger because they cost more. I think the smaller ones will be the more popular. I think the trophy, champagne glasses, butterfly, ball of yarn, cupcake etc are just purrfect. The mousie is very cute too. The larger ones are super nice, just expensive. I think HQ did a great job. I like the idea of being able to spend more and give a whole family a gift. But not sure how they would do that. Some have maybe 3 siblings and others have 10 or more. :-k That might be hard to do. In most ways I like how our new rosette/stars/gifts show but I agree with the problem Samoa mentioned.
    edited 9 November, 2007
    I guess of all the "GIFTS" available, the ones that I really wish were cheaper were the angle wings... I mean, if a close friend passed, then yes, I would steal mom's credit card and make sure that cat got wings, but 18??? :-/
    edited 9 November, 2007
    :-h Hi Fido!! I was pleasantly surprised though that the R.I.P. was so reasonable. I think we have lots of choices now and that is good. I think I will be sticking to the top row in the gift section though! I wonder when the November Rosettes are coming out and what they will be? A turkey, maybe??
    edited 9 November, 2007
    :-h RA! Yeah, I think the RIP was cheaper, but I like them wings :) And yes, turkey rosettes??
    edited 9 November, 2007
    I think it would be really cute if when a cat gets one of the high honors on catster such as Cat of the Week, Cat of the Day or Diary of the Day (maybe not Daily Diary Picks) that Catster HQ would give them a trophy gift on their page. It would make the honor even more special. Or maybe even just the COTW and the COTD. :-k Just me thinking ;)
  • Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    edited 9 November, 2007
    Wow, that's cool! Once the Frontline/HQ gets rid of the fleas, it will probably be great. I went to some of the pages and saw the gift boxes and they look awesome, not sure about the css situation, I hope it doesn't screw things up. But I have seen rows of stars and rosies weirdly spaced :-/ I do think some of the prices are crazy, and they should all (except the stars, of course) last at least a month, like the little mouse and the cheese only last two weeks :( And if they have to be so dang expensive (boy, I'm glad I've been doing all that voting and getting all those zaelies!) they should last longer, like forever. Nice for Plus members to have somewhat of a discount though, and I do like the rainbow star! I LOVE the champagne glasses for New Years, that's Purrfect! And I know who I'm gonna give the Catster Casanova one to, and I'm not gonna wait til Valentine's Day, though it is a Valentines-y thing to give
  • Patricia ParkerPatricia Parker ClevelandMember Posts: 1,093
    edited 9 November, 2007
    Yes, Jacques, pages are scrolling slowly. Mama thought it was her mouse. Good to know others are having the same problem. :?
    HELP HQ's...we wanna come out and play. We still can't view our our pages and other kitties pages. We can move okay in the forums and the home page. Just a lot of what everybody else is saying is wrong.
  • CalvinCalvin ScottsdaleMember Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 November, 2007
    Diego - that is such a pawsome idea of being able to give a rosette and it shows up on the entire family's page! I especially like the idea of being able to do that when a cat goes to the bridge, or when a new cat joins the family. I hope HQ can do something like that - it would be pawsome! I also agree that the wings shouldn't cost so many zealies. But, there is always the rainbow star which would be purrfect for a kitty at the bridge. I think Catster is really good about listening to us and adjusting things to keep us happy! I hope they'll read all our suggestions and do a little re-thinking on the cost of the gifts. I even think the larger size gifts would look just as nice if they were smaller - in fact, they would look better if they were smaller (in my opinion). That way the gift box on the page would look neat and not get too big - although if no cat gives out those expensive gifts it won't matter anyway! :))

The Cats in the Clover
    Samoa, Calvin, Violet, Gleek, Spunky, Sugar, Vivien, Newman, & Inky

• Sharon EvansSharon Evans Member Posts: 2,968
    edited 9 November, 2007
    Our pages open just fine but the rosettes are in weird patterns and it doesn\'t look very nice. We love the idea of new types of gifts! But agree with others on some being a bit expensive for the short time they last. We don\'t think anything should ever be more than maybe 10 zealies. Also adding a big thanks to HQ for doing this and trying to make it all work for us. Louis & Ethan ;c;;c;;c;
    The new gifts are awesome-pawsome and we agree with what most others have said about some of the exorbitant prices! We love Diego's idea and wondered if HQ jumps on that, whether it could mean putting the gift on every single family member's page, no matter how large the family. And we continue having the screwy problems Samoa first pointed out. Like many kits, Tess and I almost always use graphics in our Rosettes and Stars and when you try adjusting the screen to see the full pic, it disappears! Major fleafest there! Can we use graphics when we give gifts the same as when we give Rosettes and Stars? The Rainbow Star is beautiful!
    Has anykit noticed, however, that Star prices are still 5 zealies the regular way and only 4 zealies the gift shop way?! chirp chirp Wish we had known this as we just sent a Star this morning. Hmm...
  • Missy HodgeMissy Hodge Knoxville, TNMember Posts: 1,379
    edited 9 November, 2007
    Oh wow! Way cool, Catster! Thank you for the new gifts to send! :h: But...took us 3.2 seconds to run out of Zealies. :)) Love Diego's idea for whole families! =; And thanks for the heads up about stars, Tess!
  • Sharon EvansSharon Evans Member Posts: 2,968
    edited 9 November, 2007
    We just gave Neferkitty a mouse and it says from \"Sparkles\" when you put the mouse over the mouse (MOL!) to see who it is from. Not sure if me or Louis is the \"Sparkles\" cat of the family. :))
  • Sarah MinerSarah Miner MaplewoodMember Posts: 3,790
    edited 9 November, 2007
    Well Mom can open our pages now so she is happy. Nothing looks messed up or anything either. Hopefully this problem stays fixed for us. Meanwhile we are going to go take a look at this gift shop. We couldn't get into it yesterday. Thanks HQ for fixing our page if it was you. Love, Ruben and Gordy
  • AshPoGusAshPoGus AlbuquerqueMember Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 November, 2007
    The rainbow star looks nice on the gift page, with a white background, but I gave one to my sister and it nearly disappears on the Catster green background. It was disappointing to me. Most of the other stuff is too expensive for the amount of time it lasts. :b: That's me, the grumpy one in the center, waiting for the pages to stop jerking and the rosettes to stop disappearing when I try to look at them.
  • CalvinCalvin ScottsdaleMember Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 November, 2007
    Hi Aldo, Tess, Ethan, Ruben, Sawyer & Scootie! I was waiting to hear you chime in Scooter - you were probably napping when all this comotion started yesterday - MOL! Bummer about the rainbow star not showing up very well - maybe if they outlined it in a darker color it would show up better! Wouldn't it be cool to have those stars shimmer?!!

The Cats in the Clover
    Samoa, Calvin, Violet, Gleek, Spunky, Sugar, Vivien, Newman, & Inky

• AshPoGusAshPoGus AlbuquerqueMember Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 November, 2007
    I was sleeping only part of the time, Samoa. ;) I was also biting my tongue, waiting for things to \"shake out.\" I was so busy being grumpy this morning that I forgot to say I like the \"preview\" of the message with a rosette, star or gift. The real message doesn\'t come out the same as the preview -- the spacing is all different -- but it\'s better than it was the old way. Even though the rainbow star got lost on my sister\'s plain page, they do look nice on Neferkitty\'s page with a beige background. Shimmery, like Samoa said, would be good! I don\'t quite understand when you\'re giving a gift or rosette from the gift page and it says to add another recipient -- what does that mean? Could I give rosettes to 10 or 20 different cats at one time? That is, the same rosette or gift, same message, to a lot of cats with one click, just by including them all as a recipient? Hanging the mouse over rosettes and stars (given or received) to see the names isn\'t working for me now, either. Gotta scoot for now!
  • Missy HodgeMissy Hodge Knoxville, TNMember Posts: 1,379
    edited 9 November, 2007
    OMC! OMC! OMC! :))! Thanks to Ethan's "Sparkles" comment, we just checked the cheese that we, as a family, gave Boogers, Fido and Hondo. It says it's from: Are you all sitting down for this? :-k It says it's from: Mayhue's Chico Bandito! :-O :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) Where in the world did that come from? :))! Not that we don't find it quite amusing, mind you, and not that I now fear Mom has a new name for us, but where on earth? :))! I bet Boogers is going WTM? Who in the world is that? :-O :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) :)) Catster, you never fail to make us smile! :D And hi, Samoa! :-h
  • Teddy RheingoldsTeddy Rheingolds San FranciscoMember Posts: 1,743
    edited 9 November, 2007
    Hi Kitties! *We fixed the problem where some pages weren't loading last night around 9pm PST. It's definitely a permanent fix :D So sorry about that. *Also, so sorry that it appears the gifts are coming from the wrong friend. That will be permanently fixed right away ;) *I agree about the new rainbow star not popping off the page enough, that will be improved right away too. Thanks to everyone for the great feedback. We'll be going through all other page problems with a fine toothed comb. |^| Many meows,
  • Jan ArmstrongJan Armstrong Member Posts: 6,559
    edited 9 November, 2007
    I like the option of giving a rosette from all of the family, but it is not ALL of the family. It is either your catster family or your dogster family. We wanted to give a rainbow star to Milo from our family, but what? No dogs allowed to be included? Our home has a \"pet\" family of cats and dogs. I had to give the star just from me :(( I also heard over on dogster that a star was given from the family and 4 zealies was deducted for each dog family member at 12 zealies. I am in hopes that is is just a flea. :-#