Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster






Mushroom Alert!

Laura WardLaura Ward KingstreeMember Posts: 360
edited 21 November, 2007 in Plus Informational
Mommy wants everyone to be careful. She is thankful I am alive. I ate a mushroom off of the kitchen table three weeks ago and almost died. Within 10 minutes I was having seizures, frothing at the mouth, paralysis of my hind legs and lost control of all of my bowels. Thank goodness the vet was home and came to the clinic at 11:00 p.m. on a Saturday night, He saved my life. Mommy was right there when it happened but did not know I ate a mushroom off the table. We were so scared. It took me about a week to recover but I am better now. Look at my page to see some new pics mom took of me and please be careful of mushrooms!

Comments

  • Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    edited 19 November, 2007
    Wow, thanks for posting that! Mommy didn't know mushrooms were a threat to cats, though I've never had one, I don't think. I don't want to try them either, especially now!
  • Autumn GessertAutumn Gessert Amarillo, TXMember Posts: 333 ✭✭
    edited 19 November, 2007
    Wow! Thank you so much for posting that! Our Momma didn't know, either, that mushrooms were dangerous for us. We've never had any, but we SURE won't even try, now! So sorry you went thru that ordeal, glad you're okay now. Thanks again, Tommy
  • joy wampolejoy wampole Member Posts: 626
    edited 19 November, 2007
    Thanks for the post, Even though we are never allowed to have human food, you never know when something could be accidently gotten ahold of. We will be extra careful now that we know about this! Purrs, Sophie
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 19 November, 2007
    What kind of mushroom was it? White buttons? Portabellas? An exotic one?
  • karen andersonkaren anderson small town siamesevilleMember Posts: 5,514
    edited 19 November, 2007
    Thank you for letting us know about this...I'll be extra careful never to eat any mushrooms.....we are also interested in which type of mushroom it was.....glad you are ok..purrs
  • CalvinCalvin ScottsdaleMember Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭
    edited 19 November, 2007
    Be careful if you have doggies and they go outside. One of our doggies died after complications of eating wild mushrooms that were growing in the yard. She would sniff around, find one, and eat it before Mawmee could get it out of her mouth. One of them must have been poisonous because she had a similar attack. She almost died from it then, but it weakened her heart, and shortly afterwards she had a heart attack and died - she was only 6! Be careful!

    The Cats in the Clover
    Samoa, Calvin, Violet, Gleek, Spunky, Sugar, Vivien, Newman, & Inky

  • Laura WardLaura Ward KingstreeMember Posts: 360
    edited 21 November, 2007
    Hey guys and gals! It was mushrooms out of a can. Mommy had cooked them in butter and put them over a steak. Some were left on the plate. I have never bothered them in the 5 years I've been with Mommy but that night for some reason I decided to eat one after I ate my Fancy Feast canned fod that was also on the table. Mommy definitely clears the table from now on before we get on it. It is also funny that we catch squirrels, lizards, birds, moles and anything else we can get outside and have never been poisoned and then to come inside and eat a mushroom and almost die instantly.
  • Ellie(Elinore) ClarkEllie(Elinore) Clark Member Posts: 9,364
    edited 21 November, 2007
    :-O Wilma, that's awful and thanks for the warning. Even doggies should be careful if they get a little bit of steak once in a while. Glad you are ok.
Sign In or Register to comment.

Welcome to the new Catster Community!

Introduce the community to your pet with our Pet Profiles and discover how to use the new community with our Getting Started pages!


Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!