What breed of cat should I get?

Beth BiglerBeth Bigler Member Posts: 42
edited 29 March, 2008 in Choosing the Right Cat
I (as the owner) am getting a new kitten fairly soon and I don't know which breed to chose! I don't want long haired cats (but maybe the cat that's in Snickers' pic) and I don't want the ones that look like dogs (sorry kitties). What do you guys think?

Comments

• Manxsters 4Manxsters 4 Manx MansionMember Posts: 1,174 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 December, 2007
    Hi there!:-h Well the answer is easy! If it\'s not a Manx, It\'s just a Cat.....:)) We are lots of fun and are easy-going and sweet-natured. M ;c; A;c; N;c; X;c; |^| Jasper of Operation Miracle Manx
  • Gimli_TGMGimli_TGM HurstMember Posts: 29,929 ✭✭
    edited 9 December, 2007
    Hi Snickers! Hi Jasper!:-h Yep, Manx cats are like no other! Make it Manx, thanks!;c;%:D% Jasper is right, we Manx are sweet-natured, fun, easy-going and even-tempered! And we have long tails, little tails or no tails at all!And we do a cute sideways bunny hop when we run or play.;)
  • naomi codynaomi cody Charm CityMember Posts: 537
    edited 9 December, 2007
    if you are set on a purbreed, i have to go maine coon. they are super sweet, smart kitties. they are HUGE though. they are long hair, but not overly so. they need some grooming but they are not prone to mats. maine coons are even temperd and affectionate, but they are not lapcats. they sit-by-your-lap-cats. they do tricks too.:D
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    edited 9 December, 2007
    Hi, I am a Maine Coon mix rescued from under my neighbor\'s deck. I have 98% of Maine Coon characteristics but I don\'t think I\'ll be huge. My mommy used to do animal rescue and she would like me to ask you if you would please consider going to your local shelter or contacting a local animal welfare group to see if they might have something you\'d like? God bless you if you do --there are so many of us out there who need homes!! =;
  • Jenni McCoyJenni McCoy MinneapolisMember Posts: 252
    edited 9 December, 2007
    Rescue!
  • JessicaJessica Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 December, 2007
    The best way to get a cat, is to rescue one from a shelter! Breeds in cats don't matter as much as in dogs - I'm a domestic shorthair (a.k.a. a "mix breed"), but I can rule over my human servants without any sort of pedigree. And by rescuing, you're saving a life.
  • edited 9 December, 2007
    I agree that if you go to your local shelter or rescue group they can usually tell you the traits of their cats 'n' kits....from shedding, care and even future behavior patterns. Many shelters have purebreds, if you have your heart set on one breed. Check the CFA website. They have photos, standards and descriptions that will help you get an idea of what a grown cat will be like. *I made it thru that without mentioning that Tonkinese are fun-loving and require no grooming at all... hee hee*
  • Stephanie ChangtuStephanie Changtu Miami Fl,Member Posts: 883
    edited 9 December, 2007
    Breeds don't matter all cats look the same to me! :))!
  • Amanda BrindleAmanda Brindle OakvilleMember Posts: 1,179
    edited 9 December, 2007
    We agree with the Rescue cats! There are plenty to browse from on Catster that need loving homes and are extremely cute and lovable. If you don't see any in your area here, the shelter is always a good place to find just the right cat or kitten :)
    edited 9 December, 2007
    I\'m so happy to see so many posts about rescue! Yay, Catster people!! :h: All the cats in my family are rescues, and most of them came from foster homes. My meowmie used to do rescue and her organization fostered their cats in private homes. That\'s also a good place to look. There are many purebred cats as well as dogs in shelters for many reasons. Just \'cause a cat or dog is in a shelter doesn\'t mean there\'s anything \'wrong\' with it, and there usually isn\'t. We all hope you consider rescue, no matter what kind of cat you adopt, we know that it will be a grateful one!
  • Forrest JenkinsForrest Jenkins Member Posts: 439
    edited 9 December, 2007
    Russian Blues and Abyssinians are both beautiful short-haired breeds of cats. However, I must say that if you can find one through a rescue organization, try that before buying. There are so many perfect kitty babies that don't have papers, but need a good home. If you truly do want to buy from a breeder, be sure to visit the premises yourself, see the parent cats, and just check it out to be sure the cats are being kept in ideal conditions, as opposed to the "backyard breeder" filth and ill health. If the breeder has any reservations about you seeing the facility or the other cats, DO NOT BUY FROM THEM. Please be a conscientious buyer and ensure that you are not supporting cruel or negligent breeding practices.
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 December, 2007
    What ever type of kitten you finally chose, you need to keep it safe indoors so it doesn't "disappear" like your other cats.
    edited 9 December, 2007
    Athena is right!!! Contrary to popular belief, cats don\'t \"need\" to go outside. Meowmie knows from her rescue work that outside cats can have a very short shelf life, and her former welfare organization would not adopt to anyone who said they\'d let their cat out. It can be a radical change of thinking if you\'ve always let your cats out, but keeping your kitties indoor is a good thing. Sure, I\'d LIKE to go outside, but there are too many places and things that can hurt me and meowmie would go through the change of life (again) if anything happened to me. If you\'ve already had cats \"disappear\" when you let them out, keeping them in is a no-brainer. ;)
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 9 December, 2007
    YES, YES, PLEASE VISIT A SHELTER OR RESCUE ORGANIZATION. There are so many wonderful, wonderful, loving cats and kittens who are waiting to adopt people. :^::^::^: There are cats and kittens available right here on CATSTER. On the cat's page you can read about personality, do they get along with other cats, dogs, children, etc. Good luck, and keep us posted Pete Fountain, Benny Grunch, Emma and Louis "THE POWER OF PURR FOR MORE ADOPTIONS;" c;;c;;c; "RESCUES ROCK!!!!" =;=;=;
  • Kelly HendryKelly Hendry Charlottesville, VAMember Posts: 556
    edited 9 December, 2007
    I my experience rescues make the most loving, loyal kitties ever. Growing up we had 4 cats all, acquired as kittens. They were nice, but even my own parents admit that none of them were as loving as Sam or Sophia (both rescues as adults).
  • Beth BiglerBeth Bigler Member Posts: 42
    edited 9 December, 2007
    Thank you everyone!! Here's a list of the "competition" of my favs: 1st place: Maine Coon 2nd place: Manx and Russian Blue 3rd place: Abyssinian cat All the cats are BEAUTIFUL, but I almost cried when I saw a picture of the maine coon. Their fur reminds me of Snickers (yes, the owner is talking right now). He was my favorite of the litter.:r|$| I'm 95% sure that we'll get a kitten from the shelter, cause it's the easiest and the fastest! From a breeder or from a litter, you'll have to wait 'til they're old enough. At the shelter, they are already old enough.|bb|
  • Abigail ByersAbigail Byers Member Posts: 77
    edited 9 December, 2007
    Rescue is definitely best. You'll have less of a chance of getting such a finicky feline (which happens an awful lot in purebreds, no offense). Not only will you not have to spend 850 dollars for a purebred plus 250 dollars for shipping and handling, you'll also not be watched like a hawk if something happens to your kitty (by accident, of course) and you wont' be sued by the former owners. Who wants that headache? Rescued kittens need you.|^|
  • Abigail ByersAbigail Byers Member Posts: 77
    edited 9 December, 2007
    Russian Blue has a great purrsonality and can be more easily trained (like a dog) than most others. They are extremely affectionate. I (am rescued, and) show a pretty good bit of Russian Blue in me. I definitely have the purrsonailty, however. My owner (and everyone who meets me) loves me to death! She's only heard me growl once, and I was growling at my kitty cube (it wouldn't let me lay of top of it without falling off). Anyway, I hope you decide well.
  • edited 9 December, 2007
    Thats not true! I got a Somali kitten from a Breeder- Artshow somali's in iowa and he gave me Leopalorn for $500 or less and to the breeder he was the best temp of the litter. Really though rescues are the way to go, they even have purebred rescue org you can find. , I know of pursian....Aby... and ragdoll rescues, I think rescue is better, we DO NOT need anymore kittens in the world. If you want in in- your- face -cat/ Abys,Somali's,Siamese. Calm shorthairs?/ russian blues/Ragdolls,some are shorthair lines/American shorthair, exotic/ also known as shorthair pursian.
  • naomi codynaomi cody Charm CityMember Posts: 537
    edited 9 December, 2007
    i think you would make a good choice with a maine coon. we're perfect:)). however i also believe in rescues. mommy said there aren't enough loving homes to go around. we're good with kids, interspecial houses and families. however, we are 1 owner kitties. we love our families, but we always pick 1 special human as our favourite. like i said we're not lap kitties, we're next to you on the couch kitties. we also follow you around and like to keep you company. we also have really neat meows and purrs. we trill. we like to retrieve toys. mom bought me little stuffed animals that i carry around the house. we're also fascinated by running water. this is all breed standard:)) . good luck!!!
  • JessicaJessica Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    edited 9 December, 2007
    Yes! Millions of unwanted kitties are killed every year in shelters.. rescue a kitty and they will be furever grateful! I know I am! ;c;
  • kate vonkkate vonk BoiseMember Posts: 1,313
    edited 9 December, 2007
    i look almost like a purebred russian blue and i'm just a mutt cat from the pound! you can also look into purebred rescue. but i suggest going to the local shelter and checking those out. we make great furriends.
  • Alana RobertsAlana Roberts BrooklynMember Posts: 758
    edited 9 December, 2007
    The breed doesn't matter its th personality that counts. Check out yoru local shelters purebreds get abandoned too!
    edited 12 December, 2007
    Everyone thinks their cat is the bestest, most special one. I have a brufur, Ernie, who is black with a white chest and short hair and a sissy-fur who is probably part Maine Coon like me but different. My meowmie respects each of us for our purrsonalities which are ALL different. Like Boris says, I LOVE water and help meowmie clean the dishes each night. I don\'t \"fetch\" toys and AM a lapcat BIGTIME but I do trill and seldom meow. Breeds don\'t matter unless you are looking for something specific. Maine Coons are big and known to get along really well with dogs and kids and if that\'s what you need, then look for one of us or a mix of one of us. You don\'t want a cat who will be tiny if like us, you have three dogs and a grandbaby on the way. In any case, like I said, whoever you get and fall in love with is the perfect kitty for you!:c9
  • Shannon FordShannon Ford RichmondMember Posts: 527
    edited 26 January, 2008
    I would have to say ragdoll if you want one that wants to be with you and on your lap. Or you can just go to the pound that's were I have gotten most of my cats.
  • stacy mitchumstacy mitchum Bridgeport TXMember Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 January, 2008
    :^::^: :^: :^: :^: :^: :^: :^: A rescue cat will make you feel sooo good inside, after all , all purrsons are created equal.
  • Mike BlancheMike Blanche Member Posts: 89
    edited 29 January, 2008
    You should go to the local animal shelter and choose the cat that has been there the longest that you can love. That way, you'll save a life and get a friend, all for a lot less than a breeder cat.
  • Brittany ReedBrittany Reed Des Moines, IAMember Posts: 133
    edited 29 January, 2008
    i agree with what everyone else has said. i am the only purebred in the house, and there's almost the most wrong with me ..... we see the vet a lot! urine crystals... just... lots of stuff. from mommys personal expierence... and i'm the only purebred she's ever had, i require a lot of care and love etc. but i know she wouldnt give me up for the world. mommy got me for free because someone else couldnt care for me when i was a baby (they bought me, but couldnt have me at their apartment, so mommy took me with open arms) i'm a himalayan, and mommy loves me more than anything in the whole world. we are BEST friends. as for short haired pure breds... mommy likes the russian blue, and scottish fold. but we all think you should check out shelters etc. there are some amazing cats out there. mommy says that i've got a HUGE personality. i'm... curious, very loving, and very loyal... i'm more of a one person cat... devoted to mommy! i'm one of a kind!
  • Olja AvlijasOlja Avlijas Belgrade, SerbiaMember Posts: 1,991
    edited 4 March, 2008
    Hellooo.. I \"vote\" for the Russian blues. I have one (as you can see) and he is perfect, very smart and so affectionate towards the owner. I always wanted the Russian blue, and i haven\'t made a mistake by buying him! But, before Sergei, i had cats all took (saved) from the street( i must mention them: Sara, Garfield and Oliver). So, i vote for the shelter too! PS You may be wandering what happened to all those cats....Well, Sara and Garfield were sick and old when i found them on the street, the vet had no positive answer about their survival...And Oliver died a year and a half ago ( we moved to another place and he ran out to the street and..oh...:((:(() So, my message is PLEASE whatever cat u chose, pure-breed or not, remember that they are just cats, they don\'t know when to avoid cars or evil people ( that happened to my cats too, grrr) and love them, and take a good care of them....They DON\'T have 9 lives Best wishes for you and you\'re new cat!!!|bb|
  • Ashlee KroeperAshlee Kroeper Member Posts: 164
    edited 25 March, 2008
    Well, if you're going mostly for looks, I'd say go to the shelter near you. Pick a pretty cat whose personality goes well with yours and you're set! :) If you are looking to get a specific breed of cat for any reason (I'm really not knowledgeable about cat breeds... for the longest time I didn't know there were any!), try breed rescues. They take specific breeds that have been either found or abandoned, and rehome them. You're getting the breed you want and still saving a life :)