Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

We need help please

L RaglandL Ragland TexasMember Posts: 8,088
edited 14 January, 2008 in Laws & Legislation
:(:(:(:(:((:((:((:(( Hi everyone...Happy Thanksgiving. My sister-in-law bought a boston puppy from a local Houston, Teas pet store because it was so ill and it made her sick. She bought it to try and save it. They have spent a great deal of money getting her better and will be able to keep her. Their vet says she came from an awful puppy mill somewhere in the area and they need to stop that breeder. My sister-in-law has confronted the store owners and they are not giving out breeder info...we need help. Does anyone know who to contact in the Houston area to stop this puppy mill abuse. We are so thankful they saved Lucy and she is okay, but what about all the others. Love, Jazzi :((

Comments

• Misty ChristoMisty Christo OmahaMember Posts: 806
    edited 22 November, 2007
    It's so unbelievably kind of you to be so concerned with the other animals. Have you contacted any animal welfare groups?
  • Amanda BrindleAmanda Brindle OakvilleMember Posts: 1,179
    edited 22 November, 2007
    Awww sorry to hear about the situation. :(( I am glad that the Boston pup was lucky enough to go to a good home. Like her, Sesshy came from a petstore that was being closed down by the humane society for their digusting conditions. Sesshy was really sick and would have died had we not got him and his siblings out of there. Is there a local ASPCA or Humane Society around that you could get in contact with? The best method is to catch the store off-guard with continual visits from animal welfare workers. If you can continually call them and get others to call with complaints and they can find viable evidence of neglect or cruelty you could possibly get the store shut down. The store owner will then have to give the names of the places he is being supplied his animals from. Good Luck. We're purring for all those animals |:|
  • Michele AshleyMichele Ashley Chattanooga/HixsonMember Posts: 3,161
    edited 22 November, 2007
    Bless you for rescuing this little girl. To stop puppy mills. start here. http://stoppuppymills.org/ This is a direct link to the HSUS. They are doing great work in stopping this.
  • Kelly HendryKelly Hendry Charlottesville, VAMember Posts: 556
    edited 27 November, 2007
    If you call the local police department they generally have animal welfare departments and you might be able to file a claim so that they would have to investigate the conditions of the store. Did your sister get any sort of documents fromt he pet store like a certificate of health? I'm not sure the laws in TX but it can be illegal to sell sick animals. She might want to contact a lawyer and see if she can file a civil suit to recover the medical costs. Through a suit the pet store would probably be required to reveal the breeder.
  • trinlay khadrotrinlay khadro Member Posts: 83
    edited 9 January, 2008
    Yes, a report to the police, but also places like the Humane Society can help get a court order to get the name/location of the breeder from the pet store. However, IF the pet store did not keep any records, OR has it listed as "some guy came by with these puppies"... you might be out of luck. On the up side, with a fancy breed puppy they often come with their papers...other wise what's their proof that they sold a pure-bred? Those papers might be the start of the trail of clues.
  • trinlay khadrotrinlay khadro Member Posts: 83
    edited 9 January, 2008
    Try the local News Media... (something like "6 on your side" or something) and see if they'll take it up.
  • Forrest JenkinsForrest Jenkins Member Posts: 439
    edited 9 January, 2008
    I agree with Seimei. If this is supposed to be a purebred puppy, it must have papers identifying both parent animals. Even if it has no info on the owners, it's a place to start. If it has no papers, you can probably file a claim with the store for selling you an uncertified, unsound dog, and perhaps your animal law enforcement can pressure the store to identify the breeder. In addition, you can call the AKC (or whatever organization the dog is registered with), and alert them to the fact that there is a Houston area puppy mill selling to that store. They might have more information on the parent animals as well as the owners. Poor puppies. My kitties had to wait over an hour at the vet once because the patient ahead of us was a 4-week-old pug puppy with a collapsed nostril, and an array of other congenital health problems due to irresponsible breeding. The owner was this college girl with a big folder full of info, and she interrogated the vet about why the dog was so sick. She SHOULD have interrogated her Chicago breeder and visited the facility, rather than buying the dog sight-unseen and having it flown in.
  • Patty BrissettePatty Brissette PinconningMember Posts: 1
    edited 10 January, 2008
    Sue the pet store because of the health of the poor baby and have the attorney subpoena the pet store for the information.
  • Lissa NicholsonLissa Nicholson SydneyMember Posts: 1,562
    edited 13 January, 2008
    I agree with Megumi about getting onto the media. If as many people as possible are aware of the condition of some of the babies in pet stores, they will hopefully be less likely to purchase one from there. Reduce the demand, reduce the supply. If nothing else, the store could feel too threatened to deal with the particular breeder in the future, and may even be more careful with other mills/breeders in the future, for fear of further backlash.
  • edited 13 January, 2008
    Sadly the "breeder" may NEVER be found and by buying that dog you've supported it... the best thing to do is never buy on impluce never buy it because you want to save it... you cannot save all the kittens and puppies the world..... its impossible :(( I hope they are stopped!.
  • Tanya MundyTanya Mundy boulderMember Posts: 763
    edited 14 January, 2008
    You said it's texas?? Houston has quite a history of being proactive in trying to stop puppy mills. not sure about other texas legal districts, but i'd call both the LOCAL humane society, and for kicks, the Houston one. both will be happy to help you. there were some laws in the legislature of Texas when i lived there, trying to end puppy mills, so i know it's an important issue there. good luck. good rescue !