Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Changing Eating Habits

vicki kramer nathanvicki kramer nathan Member Posts: 1
edited 30 November, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
Gracie's been with me for almost 3 weeks now. She's had a hysterectomy and her foster Mom fed her wet food in the AM and dry in the evening. I found Gracie to be hungry but didn't to give her extra as she's a touch overweight. By the time she got her breakfast, I think she was so hungry that she gulped the food and then got sick. She also has a great preference for me to be in the kitchen while she eats. I've now eliminated the wet food and feed her small amounts of dry 3x daily. Any ideas?? Thanks

Comments

• Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 25 November, 2007
    Cats are grazers so they should have food available at all times, not just at strict meal times. It doesn't have to be a lot of food. Small snacks can be left out all day. You can use a timed feeder or just put a bowl of food out. Canned food is much better for us for many reasons (high water content, lower calories and carbs, more species appropriate, etc).
  • kate vonkkate vonk BoiseMember Posts: 1,313
    edited 27 November, 2007
    i measure out my cats food in the morning for the whole day. i have three so they eat out of eachother's bowls but the amount evens out as they all like to eat at different points throughout the day. they don't have a meal time except for the morning when the food first goes down. i also agree that supplementing with wet is important. i feed my kibbles on the weekdays and they eat canned on the weekends. i make sure they get at least two canned meals a week. t
  • angie samerangie samer Brick, NJMember Posts: 46
    edited 30 November, 2007
    Hi, Our kitty is alittle overweight and needs to also lose a couple of pounds. I feed her one pouch of wet in the morning. She likes Meow Mix Market Selects or Fancy Feast. Later I put out one quarter of a cup of dry. I leave it out so she can pick on it. At night I add maybe another quarter of a cup. The vet told me to do this. She really likes wet and I don\'t want to take it away all together. Also it is better then the dry. It has more moisture and cats need meat. What does your Vet boyfriend think? Good luck.
  • Forrest JenkinsForrest Jenkins Member Posts: 439
    edited 30 November, 2007
    I always used to free feed cats, but now my girl is more gorger than grazer. I feed one serving of dry in the morning, a half serving of dry when I come home for lunch, and a half serving of wet at night. They eat quickly, but not to the point that they throw up. I also read that mealtimes are better for cats because if they were hunting, they would have to eat all of whatever they kill at once to keep other predators from taking it away. If you decide to divide things up for meal times, try to feed more than twice a day. That midday snack seems to keep the hunger under control for mine. If you can't free feed, maybe feeding a smaller amount at a time would help keep the food down.