Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

I\'m too skinny

Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoMember Posts: 11,036
edited 27 November, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
Anyone have suggestions for things to help a kitten put on weight? My rescued stray kitten is still very skinny... I've been feeding him by Nature kitten food (dry) and by Nature All Life Stages canned food...

Comments

• Forrest JenkinsForrest Jenkins Member Posts: 439
    edited 27 November, 2007
    Your vet can sell you a tube of Nutri-Cal, which is a great calorie supplement for little ones. I was awfully runty as a baby, and I didn't eat very much on my own. A few mls of that stuff twice a day put a pound on me within two weeks!
  • Kelly HendryKelly Hendry Charlottesville, VAMember Posts: 556
    edited 27 November, 2007
    I've heard that wet food actually helps put on weight. We've had luck in the past with buying the kitten milk from petsmart and using that in addition to food. Have you been to the vet yet? You should get checked out just to be sure its not a medical thing, like worms or hyperhtyroidism.
  • kate vonkkate vonk BoiseMember Posts: 1,313
    edited 27 November, 2007
    i suggest a vet check to get checked for worms and all that gross stuff. pancho was a very skinny kitten and vvery small at 15 weeks he only weighed about 2 or 3 pounds. he actually is just a really small cat. he is a pig and still only weighs about 6 pounds and has a very small frame. the vet suggested for weight gain that i just give him unlimited food until he gets to a healthy weight but to cut back on his feedings if he started to get chubby.
  • Elizabeth KElizabeth K ChicagoMember Posts: 11,036
    edited 27 November, 2007
    He's already been to the vet twice... The first time he was given worming meds and they gave me a vitamin syrup because he was anemic. Due to that they couldn't draw enough blood for FIV/FelV testing so we had to come back in a week (which was today) and he tested negative. He has gained 7 ounces in a week since the last vet visit but he's still looking skinny!
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 27 November, 2007
    Well, it sounds like he is gaining, so I wouldn\'t worry too much. Some cats don\'t gain weight all at once. I was a runty thing until I hit 7 months and then bam! Mom says I got longer and fatter in a matter of a couple of weeks, and then I kept going! At some point the vet was like \"Ok, now we gotta lose weight.\" :(