Need help choosing companion for Marley

Laura GodinezLaura Godinez Member Posts: 51
edited 29 November, 2007 in Choosing the Right Cat
I've had Marley for six months now. He had a companion for six years before I got him and I think he'd like another kitty's company. I know of two girl kitties who really need to be placed by Friday: http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=9574766 http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=9018097 But there are others at local kill shelters, too: http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=9600207 http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8943540 http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=7207618 http://search.petfinder.com/petnote/displaypet.cgi?petid=8690034 I don't know what to do. I wish I could take them all. Does gender really matter if they are speutered? Marley was declawed on all four when I got him , so I need a sweet kitty who won't beat him up. Three of those above are also declawed, which would make me feel more comfortable, but I just don't know. Help me please!

Comments

• Forrest JenkinsForrest Jenkins Member Posts: 439
    edited 27 November, 2007
    Even if the kitties are spayed/neutered, a mixed-gender pair or male-male pair will usually get along best. Us girls are often bossy and particular, especially toward other girls! Male cats just bond more readily with other cats if they are neutered. I would try to learn more about the personalities of the declawed cats. Because they are being adopted out, there is a chance that the stress of a move into a different cat's home will bring out an aggressive little biter. Declawed cats can feel very insecure after moving out of a home, into a shelter, into another home--especially if EVERYTHING smells like a new cat! Is there any way you could take Marley in a carrier to get a sniff of any of the others? You might get an idea of who might get aggressive (since Marley is declawed, she might really start biting to defend her territory). Cats are strange. They can be the best little darlings for a long time, but change something in the equation, and you temporarily have a pet Tasmanian Devil. If you can, take an opportunity to get Marley's input on who she might best get along with. Good luck, and good for you for rescuing a kitty!
  • Laura GodinezLaura Godinez Member Posts: 51
    edited 27 November, 2007
    Thanks, Margaux. Marley is a boy. I know it's hard to tell with that name!
  • Diana GabaldonDiana Gabaldon PortlandMember Posts: 5,607
    edited 27 November, 2007
    Is there a way you can contact the shelter and ask more questions about the kitties you are choosing between? At the shelter where mom volunteers we ask that a detailed questionaire be filled out if someone is leaving a pet. This way you can see if the kitty has lived with other pets before. Good luck in your choice. Purrrrs for adoption!
    edited 27 November, 2007
    Yes, I've e-mailed about all of them. I'm leaning toward the two at kill shelters (Bailey and Morris). I found out that Bradley and Tiger are free-roam in a cat house with eleven others! I'm sure they'll be fine. The two with the rescue group won't be put down, either. I really liked Ms. Myrtle though. She just looks so sweet in her pictures.
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 28 November, 2007
    First, God Bless You for looking to give two shelter kitties a loving, forever home. The other posters gave good suggestions about taking Marley along, and getting more details on the cats personality. :D:D Good luck, and keep us posted. Pete Fountain 'THE POWER OF PURR FOR MORE ADOPTIONS!!!"|bb||bb|
  • Kelly HendryKelly Hendry Charlottesville, VAMember Posts: 556
    edited 28 November, 2007
    I wasn't able to see any of your links, but I do have a few thoughts. For an adult kitty I would lean away from getting a baby. They can be pretty overwhelming to an adult cat who has settled down and just wants a napping buddy! You might want to consider fostering. That way you can test it out to see if Marley gets along with the particular kitty and if he doesn't you would still be helping a cat in need. A well run rescue or shelter should know the personalities of their cats and be able to give you a good idea of whether they get along with other kitties and if their temperaments would match with Marley. For example, Hunter is very timid and very submissive which gives Sam the opportunity to bully him. I think they'd probably get along better if Hunter asserted himself more often, but at least we don't have two alphas! Either way introducing new kitties can be a lot of work and you should do it slowly. I know a lot of people whose kitties loved each other at first sight and a lot whose cats took months to work it out. Even if it takes them awhile to become friends, its completely worth it. How exciting to be picking a new family member! We wish you lots of luck and hope you'll keep us updated on your new buddy! Hunter, Sam and Mom
  • Kelly HendryKelly Hendry Charlottesville, VAMember Posts: 556
    edited 28 November, 2007
    I wasn't able to see any of your links, but I do have a few thoughts. For an adult kitty I would lean away from getting a baby. They can be pretty overwhelming to an adult cat who has settled down and just wants a napping buddy! You might want to consider fostering. That way you can test it out to see if Marley gets along with the particular kitty and if he doesn't you would still be helping a cat in need. A well run rescue or shelter should know the personalities of their cats and be able to give you a good idea of whether they get along with other kitties and if their temperaments would match with Marley. For example, Hunter is very timid and very submissive which gives Sam the opportunity to bully him. I think they'd probably get along better if Hunter asserted himself more often, but at least we don't have two alphas! Either way introducing new kitties can be a lot of work and you should do it slowly. I know a lot of people whose kitties loved each other at first sight and a lot whose cats took months to work it out. Even if it takes them awhile to become friends, its completely worth it. How exciting to be picking a new family member! We wish you lots of luck and hope you'll keep us updated on your new buddy! Hunter, Sam and Mom
    edited 29 November, 2007
    I'm going to get Bailey today! She's a five year old black short hair. She's been at the shelter for months, and was in danger of being euthanized. She's already spayed and front declawed. I just hope she'll be able to adjust and be happy with us. I'm excited, but worried too. I just want them to get along and be happy.
    edited 29 November, 2007
    I just got an email about the other kitty in danger (Morris). He's been adopted!!! I'm so happy about that. I was really worried for him, too.