Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Declawing issues with group homes.

edited 6 December, 2007 in Laws & Legislation
I have Autism, among other disabilities and because of this I have a problem. In a few years I will have to move into a group home before possibly going on to apartment/assisted living. All of the Group homes I have heard about in my area ( I live in MN, St paul); Require that cats be declawed in order to live with you, One person told me it was to avoid lawsuits filed against the home, another told me it was to protect resadents from the cat. I do not agree with this practice, knowing first hand what happens to cats after declawing is done to them and how cruel it is, Are they any Group homes in my area that allow clawed cats?

Comments

• edited 29 November, 2007
    Why isnt anyone posting? This issue is VERY importent to me:?
  • Ashley NollenAshley Nollen RichmondMember Posts: 333
    edited 29 November, 2007
    I don't have a lot of experience with this. However I do not believe all retirement homes have this policy. Your best resource may be to call the SPCA in your area. They usually know what housing allows pets so I would assume they may have some knowledge they can share with you on the group home issue with declawing. You may also want to contact your animal control shelter- they may or may not know depending on how good they are. And you could also try contacting the non-kills in your area and see if they know. I think the SPCA would be your best bet. Perhaps you could also petition to have an exception. Explain the medical reasons for not wanting to get your cat declawed and all the complications that can happen and ask if they won't consider changing their policy. Ask if there is any way they will work around this for you. Hope this helps |^|
    Thanks I will call them up, do you know their numbers I live in St paul. MN My parents will take them in if I cannot find a proper group home. Trouble is we are over the legal limit for cats as it is, taking Bindi and leopalorn with me would put my parents back in the legal limit of 3 cats.
    PS I'm 21, I'm going to a group home because of disabilities and moving on acording to a waver writen when I was 12 not because of age. too young for a retirement home.:) I think this policey of declawing is SICK... cats should NEVER have this done to them.
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    edited 29 November, 2007
    You may also want to see if they will consider Soft Paws nail caps instead of declawing.
    I know about those, I will call around, but please I need some phone numbers.
  • Audrey McAnarneyAudrey McAnarney Atlanta, GeorgiaMember Posts: 1,982
    edited 29 November, 2007
    Good luck on finding a group accepting your kitties! It wouldn’t be right to put them through all that.
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    edited 29 November, 2007
    I know Soft Paws has a website www.softpaws.com There should be contact info on the site too.
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 November, 2007
    To locate various shelters in your area who may have more information about group homes, try an internet search on: "cat shelters in St. Paul, Minnesota" that will give you their addresses and phone numbers.
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 29 November, 2007
    I did an internet search on law firms that deal with Pet Law. Check out this website: http://www.mansfieldtanick.com/PracticeAreas/Pet-Law.asp This is a law firm that presents itself as \"Among the Few Firms Practicing in the Field of Pet Laws\", including \"Challenges to ordinances limiting the number or types of pets allowed in a residence\". They are located in Minneapolis and handle pet cases throughout the state of Minnesota. Give them a call and state your situation. They may give you some suggestions and/or offer to take your case. Tell them about your Autism and ask if they would take your case pro bono (no charge).
  • edited 30 November, 2007
    I may do that, but I do have another rote though for me a very sad one, I coulsd just have them live at my dads house, provided they will not move. My biggest worry is that a pca or somebuddy else will find out we have over the legal limit of cats per house in our area, then all the cats and our dog too could be in danger. Also getting the proper food is alsp an issue, I highly dougbt my dad is going to feed raw/ and EVO to five cats, he's probably just going to get the cheapest stuf he can :(
  • melissa muttermelissa mutter West ChesterMember Posts: 10,189
    edited 1 December, 2007
    I am not an advocate of declawing and have not done it to any of our family, however IF you HAVE to do it I have discussed this with my vet, who didn't used to believe in it, but since the advent of being able to do it with a laser he will actually do the procedure now, whereas he refused to do it before. CLICK HERE
  • edited 1 December, 2007
    Nope wont even think it, My dad is having all cats put on Orijen dry, no need to worry about bad food:):) So if I have to leave cats behind I will face it.:(
  • Ashley NollenAshley Nollen RichmondMember Posts: 333
    edited 1 December, 2007
    To find shelters or an SPCA in your area go to http://www.petfinder.com/ Then type in you zipcode and do a search. If the shelters you call do not know directly ask if there is any place they know of where you could find out information on non-declawed kitty friendly group home housing. Oh! You may also try asking your vet or other vets in the area. Let us know what happens. I'm sure it will all work out. Sometimes it just takes a lot of research to find the right place =;
  • karen andersonkaren anderson small town siamesevilleMember Posts: 5,514
    edited 2 December, 2007
    It might help to call around to the various group homes that you are looking at to find out their specific policies......I'd really check into the www.softpaws.com web site too because if you had them, maybe this would qualify as the same as having the kitty declawed.... another idea would be for you to call your vet to see if they would be willing to advocate for you in this matter......many vets disagree with declawing now & maybe yours could help to advocate for the softpaws vs. declawing........Good luck!!!!
  • Head Scratch -Head Scratch - CheshireMember Posts: 44
    edited 3 December, 2007
    Hello to original poster, Am have a similar experience to [am autistic,about to move into third residential home,in twenties],but luckily over here declawing is banned,biggest issue have got here is with bias,allergies or animal phobia. Residential and group homes are too over cautious when it comes to pets,am was told at current home,various excuses until they came up with \"cats aren\'t allowed incase someone trips over them\"-they might as well not allow anyone to go out incase lightning strikes them or they get ebola. The purpose behind requiring declawing is the same ridiculous extreme risk assessing,if they think there is a major risk of the cat injuring other residents,they should just look at the many cats who do successfully live in residential homes without having cut up people. Do have a social worker? They might be able to find a suitable solution to this,are all the homes being looked at \'private\' -or government run? Also,not sure if this would get anymore help than has already been given but-what about posting about this on the autism and AS forum- Wrong Planet as well?
  • edited 5 December, 2007
    I don't know... But all this talk of group homes has me angry, I heard they take all your personal $ away and other stuff, might be true, might be rumors:-O I'm glad I have parents that are wiling to take the cats in if I cannot find a suitable place. I will call the shelters in my area.
  • terri echolsterri echols kalamazooMember Posts: 4,758
    edited 4 December, 2007
    the lone dissenter here...yes, declawing is pretty near pure evil. but the difference between bad and worse is a lot sharper than good and better. which is worse, declawing or homelessness? you say your parents will take them, but if your two put them over the legal limit that may not be a promise they can keep indefinitely. consider all the options, and take the long view...and pray for the day when declawing is banned altogether, and these kinds of agonizing choices will not have to be made.
  • edited 6 December, 2007
    Thank you for your opinions, I've called the local shelter, and will call again at noon, which is when they open. If my parents wont take them, I will drop them off at a no-kill feline rescue if worse come to worse, I hope this will not happen and I think my parents will take them in, but if it leads me to no other choice I will do what I feel is best for them. :(:( This will only be an issue a year or more down the line, so I still have lots of time to decide. I will use the online resourses everyone gave me as well.
  • edited 6 December, 2007
    Maybe the best thing to do, would be to advertize them on Catster/adoption/ if I have to make this painful decidion:( Hopefully it wont come to that.