Food and .... Poop!

Vanessa BobackVanessa Boback TampaMember Posts: 3,149
edited 29 November, 2007 in Food & Nutrition
I know that sounds funny.... but since switching my cats over to orijen and serengetti dry food and a healthy assortment of canned foods, I was hoping for less... "waste". I have had Cheetah on this food for her whole life (5 months) and Rasha has been on this diet for about a year. Their litter box after only a few hours of being gone is completly full when I come home. I have to switch out the entire litter box almost every day!! Not only do they have a lot of waste, but it smells really bad. I have a full bag of waste everyday, and it seems like it has doubled. I have been researching food for a long time and know that if they have a lot of waste coming out then it is not being utulized by the body. So.... should they be on some type of digestive enzyme? Is there a reason they aren't using all the nutrients? To clear things up, they get Orijen and Serengetti dry as their base diet. Wellness, Innova and Evo, Felidae, Solid Gold, Evangers and a few other canned food. They split a can a day and I ususally add some water. Any suggestions? They look like they eat science diet with all the extra grains, and yet I spend more a month on cat food .... and LITTER then on myself!! And I buy the corn hulls litter so it's healthy..... which by the way costs just as much as the food! Help?? :?

Comments

• Forrest JenkinsForrest Jenkins Member Posts: 439
    edited 28 November, 2007
    Is the waste solid, or is it loose? You might want to check with your vet to rule out any sort of parasite, and make sure there is not some serious imbalance. How often do you change up the canned foods? It might be a good idea to keep them on the same one consistently, since sudden diet changes really can cause the digestive process to speed up. Also, if the kitties are drinking enough water, there is no reason to add water to the wet food. It needs to be solid enough to remain inside the digestive tract long enough for absorption of protein and nutrients. Just experiment with consistently feeding the same food daily until you find a combination that seems to stabilize the waste process. If that doesn't work, I know that feeding a little spoonful of yogurt once a day for a few days can help restore probiotic bacteria in the digestive tract when kitty has been on antibiotics and is out of balance. Long-term loose poops could disturb that balance. If it is not bacterial, then try feeding a spoonful of pumpkin daily for no more than a week and see if that helps the gang get more regular.
  • Vanessa BobackVanessa Boback TampaMember Posts: 3,149
    edited 28 November, 2007
    It used to always be solid. After starting them on Serengetti it became loose and sometimes with a small amount of blood. I have decided to take them off the Serengetti for now (even tho I spent 35 dollars on that bag!!!!!!) and see if it hardens up a bit. I only usually add a small amount of water to the canned food every other day or so just to make sure they are passing the high protein kibble alright and also because the poo was sort of soft I didn't want him dehydrating. I'll stop that for a while. I try so hard for the best nutrition possible and I still run into problems. What could be the reason for the bloody loose stool? I took him to the vet already for this when he was diagnosed with Feline Herpes, but he didn't really acknowledge it so I thought it wasn't a big deal? They both act normal except for this and I have noticed an increase in food consumption. I'm stumped?
  • Forrest JenkinsForrest Jenkins Member Posts: 439
    edited 28 November, 2007
    Some foods really do irritate particular cats more than others, for no reason I can confidently name. Definitely take out the food that appeared to start the problem. I think the best place to start is probably to feed specific amounts of food daily, and make it the same kind every time for a couple of weeks. If that doesn't begin a change for the better, call your vet and let him/her know that problem has persisted. Don't feed more food, just regulate it so you can observe what happens. Also, the herpes treatment may have affected the internal bacteria, so I still recommend feeding the yogurt for about a week to see if that doesn't stabilize the digestion a little better.
  • Nanaho SawanoNanaho Sawano Member Posts: 108
    edited 29 November, 2007
    Hmm...that's really strange. My brother Trooper and I are pretty much on the same dry and wet food as you are, although presently we're on a mix of Orijen and Innova Evo for dry. Our human has rotated the Serengeti out for now. But we've never had that sort of poop problem. In fact, we both poop about once a day, and it's about two or three smallish not terribly smelly poops each. (Sorry if that's too much information...) Maybe it's your individual responses to the food?
  • Vanessa BobackVanessa Boback TampaMember Posts: 3,149
    edited 29 November, 2007
    Thanks everyone for your help! I will try to fine tune their diet so that they start to come around better. They did well on Orijen, so I put them back on that for now and out with the timberwolf. I cannot be home for most of the day and I can't monitor how much they take in, but I only leave out about a cup - a cup and a half of food while I'm gone for the both of them. There's usually some left over and then they get the canned food when I get home. Hopefully they will start to get better soon and I will look into getting them some yogurt. It's just hard to find plain yogurt without all the sugar!
  • Lucybelle GLucybelle G Member Posts: 96
    edited 29 November, 2007
    I started Lucy Belle with EVO mixed with KMR during pre wening and later just EVO dry. You cannot believe the smell of her poop and also it is loose, not watery, but really loose. I stopped and then began feeding her canned Wellness and Nutro pouches. That stopped the smelly and loose poop for good. Also, Lucy Belle only poop once a day, and her poop is beautiful. Haha..it's really strange putting it that way, but being a kitty mom also means you have to be poop detective. It's solid dark brown while she is on Wellness and Nutro pouches, but I've decided to add a variety of food to her diet. So now, she is eating a combo of Wellness/Royal Canin 34 dry and a host of canned food :- Wellness, Nutro, Natural Balance, California Natural, Eagle Pack, Felidae, Weruva, Organix etc. Her poop now is not so hard and dark brown, but solid brownish and smells just fine .. as far as poop goes. If you cats seems to have senstive stomach, it's better to stick with one trype of food/brand, otherwise, you can try variety and expose their taste buds to all the wonderful food palates out there. My Lucy Belle loves it and she is growing up so fast, healthy, strong, and always delightful.