Cat habitats, permanent furniture

Rita Anne ProvenzanoRita Anne Provenzano PhilapawMember Posts: 635
Hiya, everykitty! A local pet supply store wants to feature the local shelter kitties in their store. But they want to find more permanent fixtures that are more 'hip/funky' and eye catching. Can any cat suggest some ideas? Mommy is looking for something similiar to the 'cat house' embellishments (with the overhead tracks, steps, etc) Thanks!!

Comments

• Diana GabaldonDiana Gabaldon PortlandMember Posts: 5,607
    edited 16 September, 2009
    Our shelter has "colony rooms" that are really cute. I looked for photos but can't seem to find anything. The rooms are great. Each has a different theme and design. Of course the viewing wall is all glass so the kitties can be seen. THen they used some child sized chairs (perfect for a kitty to sleep on) like these: http://www.childrenschairs.com/indoor-childrens-chairs/upholstered-chairs/mylittlechairdenimnopersonalization.cfm#navbar=a They painted a wall with a fake fireplace and put up a mantle. The place looked like a little living room. On the walls they put shelves arranged so they could either use them as steps for getting up to the mantle or just to lay on. It really is very cute. They also have various cat beds on the floor and toys, food and water. I will continue to look for a photo to show you but I hope this can get your imagination working.
  • Rita Anne ProvenzanoRita Anne Provenzano PhilapawMember Posts: 635
    Thanks, Diego! That sounds exactly like what Mommy is looking for. Colony rooms. She found several pieces of furniture to recommend but nothing that would act like apts or condos, but individual housing.
  • Diana GabaldonDiana Gabaldon PortlandMember Posts: 5,607
    Another colony room has plastic cubes stacked no more than 3 high in various positions. Small mats are placed at the bottom of the cubes. These the kitties tend to use as personal space and work very well. Since they are plastic they are easy to clean. I have never studied it in detail but I am sure they are also somehow attached to the wall for saftey. Good luck.