Male Calicos?

Stephanie ChangtuStephanie Changtu MiamiMember Posts: 1,175
edited 1 February, 2008 in Choosing the Right Cat
(Meowmy Talking) Hiya Everyfurrybody, I'm thinking about getting a new kitty. I would like it to be a calico just wondering, Is there male calicos do they exist? Also I have a kitty named Oreo he's a male so do you think he'd get along with a female? Thanks,

Comments

• Audrey McAnarneyAudrey McAnarney Atlanta, GeorgiaMember Posts: 1,982
    edited 15 January, 2008
    I hope -- link removed -- answers your question. =; "While it's not 100% true, it is largely a fact that most calicos are female. A simple explanation is that the colors red and black are linked to the X sex chromosome, but each X can carry only one color, black OR red. Since a female is XX it can carry both, but since a male is XY he can carry only one of the colors. Occasionally a male calico comes along but it is generally found to be an anomaly such as XXY and these cats are generally sterile."
  • edited 15 January, 2008
    Well it depends on what breed of cat your getting... calico isn't a breed, it's a coloration, therefore, I am pretty sure male calico's do exist....I am no expert though, so i think Elisabeth would have to be right lol... And I do have a kitty sibling*not related* living with me, Sadie. we get along great! although because of my size, I can sometimes be quiet the bully toward Sadie. I think Oreo would do just fine with the new addition! but if for example, you had two males and one female, of course both males will fight. And even if you only have two males, the chances of them fighting is high. But I guess it all depends on the breed. But whatever you choose, good luck! =;
  • Diana GabaldonDiana Gabaldon PortlandMember Posts: 5,607
    edited 16 January, 2008
    I read somewhere that the chances of having a male calico is 1 in 3000. Orange female tabbies like me are a little rare too but not as rare as the male calicos. Only 1/3 of orange tabbies are female. 2/3 are male.
  • Kerstin KaufmannKerstin Kaufmann Member Posts: 9,254
    edited 16 January, 2008
    Male calicos are rare but they do exist. Even here on Catster ;) [I\'ve got a male calico friend. He\'s great looking...] Nevertheless I wouldn\'t choose a cat just because of his/her colours?! Their tempers do have to match - then there\'s no difference if Oreo gets a male or female friend. On the premises he\'s neutered at least... [And of course second kitty has to be spayed/neutered, too.] Good luck!
  • Pamela HaneyPamela Haney Old ForgeMember Posts: 893
    edited 16 January, 2008
    Elizabeth is absolutely correct. and yes - 1 in 3000 calicos is male.
  • Stephanie ChangtuStephanie Changtu MiamiMember Posts: 1,175
    edited 16 January, 2008
    okay thanks, I know a calico is a coloration not a breed. idk why I just want a calico.
  • Forrest JenkinsForrest Jenkins Member Posts: 439
    edited 16 January, 2008
    I have heard of male calicos before, but always heard they were extremely rare. I think maybe male tortoise shell cats are more common, if you are interested in that coloration as well. I have to disagree with Buddy though. In my experience, as long as the cats are fixed (which they should all be if not in the care of a licensed and responsible breeder), two females will have at it far more than two males. The gals are just more territorial, and more finicky overall. Neutered male cats will (in most cases, depending on the cat's overall personality) bond readily with another male or with a female. Resident female cats may have territory issues with a male or female cat. Good luck finding your cali boy!
  • Jennifer KimJennifer Kim Las VegasMember Posts: 2,028
    edited 16 January, 2008
    I am a Calico, and I hate all other cats. I like dogs, but I LOATHE cats. I am saying this because I have heard it is fairly common for Calico's to be like this, to prefer to be the only cat. Maybe it's a myth, but I would look for a kitten if you are set on a Calico. Neko made our life hell when we fostered a Siamese for about a month. (And yes, we did everything the rescue told us to, but the only thing that worked was to keep them totally seperated.)
  • melissa muttermelissa mutter West ChesterMember Posts: 10,189
    edited 16 January, 2008
    Torties too! We can be quite difficult, and two years later I am STILL not getting along with my siblings!
  • Niki MattsonNiki Mattson St. PaulMember Posts: 20,360
    edited 16 January, 2008
    Well, I don't know about that now. I am calico, and yes, I am very territorial, but when Sandy moved in, I hissed and growled too, but after about a month or two, I finally realized that she wasn't gonna leave, so I gave up and tried to make friends. . .but she didn't want to, and she's a Siamese! So we still fight a lot, but I'm not quite as territorial now. . .as she is!
  • Tanya MundyTanya Mundy boulderMember Posts: 763
    edited 17 January, 2008
    Just for fun - one of the new guesses on why some males are calicoes is that they are Chimeras ! and if so, they can reproduce, but they won't reproduce calicos of course. genetics has become so much fun since we learned about chimers. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chimera_(genetics)
  • JessicaJessica Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    edited 17 January, 2008
    Someone above mentioned genetics, and my meowmy told me to add that a calico or tortie male would have Klinefelter's syndrome, since he'd need XXY chromosomes to have both the orange and black. Its common in Klinefelter disorder people to have genetic mutations and some physical issues, so you might want to research klinefelter's in cats before looking into adopting a male calico/tortie.
  • Daina JehlingDaina Jehling MattesonMember Posts: 155
    edited 20 January, 2008
    I\"m a male Calico, which I guess is just the coloring. I\'m a Main Coone!
  • JessicaJessica Long Island, New YorkMember Posts: 1,339 ✭✭✭
    edited 20 January, 2008
    Lexus: I thought your profile says you're female? :-k
  • Jessica TrombettaJessica Trombetta LaconiaMember Posts: 26
    edited 21 January, 2008
    I have 2 males and 1 other female living with me and the only one that doesn't get along with us is the other female. I don't think liking the other cat has to do with coloration it has to do with upbringing. Because I am a calico and I love my brothers, and my sister is black and she hates all of us.
  • alyssa elkinsalyssa elkins east brunswickMember Posts: 169
    edited 1 February, 2008
    Lexus: Your page says in multiple places that you're female. And you're quite a beautiful ladycat, I must say. Male calicos/torties do not occur without some kind of genetic aberration. Either they inherit an extra X chromosome, or they are chimeric--wherein two genetically nonidentical eggcells fuse very early on and in effect cause the individual to be, genetically speaking, two different cats. Yes, it can happen with male and female eggs, but both eggs can be male and still result in a male calico as long as one egg carries red and the other carries black.