Inexpensive cat tower?

a aa a Member Posts: 157
I would love to get Schroeder a cat tower, becausehe has so much energy and loves to climb, but they're so expensive! We were at Petsmart the other day and some were +200$! 200$ is a bit much (a LOT much!) for our salary. Anyone know where to get a nice cat tower, but one where I won't need resuscitation after looking at the price tag? But not one of those two foot pieces of crap they sell at Wal-mart; this kitty needs a challenge. It has to be able to hold his attention for a while. Thanks!

Comments

• Karin PruessnerKarin Pruessner DurbanMember Posts: 2,110
    edited 16 September, 2009
    ebay
  • Diane WallineDiane Walline Hamlin (suburb of Rochester)Member Posts: 500
    Mom bought us one at wallmart when it was onsale for 19.99. It goes floor to ceiling (just under8 feet tall) and can support my brofur harley whos 13lbswhen hes jumping and climbing around on it. It has 4 levels and mom put it in the corner near a window so we climb up and can be up really high and look down and outside the window. Its not as sturdy as the more expensive ones but, like I said I can support Harley and hes almost double my weight. Mom also used thin rope to wrap around the top part of the pole and tack to the wall just in case.
  • P IngramP Ingram EaganMember Posts: 7,400
    Yup ebay, armarkat, we got ours for $0.99 plus shipping. SOOOO well made
  • Maggie BussaMaggie Bussa Member Posts: 191
    or you could go to the armarkat website! They have many different styles to choose from with only a little assembly required! These are the best value for the money. Check it out!
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    I'd still ebay from a reputable armakat wholesaler doing business on it. Like another kitty said, mom paid $2.00 for the unit I have, plus shipping that made it more like $50, whereas armakat does sell direct, but most of it is in the $69-169 range, and they only offer free shipping every once in a while. We (mom and I) are quite happy with ours, it is sturdy and hardly sways even though I climb up and down like a demon on a daily basis, and I like to hang from it like Tarzan with my front paws sometimes ((what can I say, I am an high energy cat! :))).
  • a aa a Member Posts: 157
    Thanks for all the help! I'll definetly have to check those out! Thanks, efurrybody!
  • Maggie BussaMaggie Bussa Member Posts: 191
    Check out this website too. I bought two towers from them and they are great quality!! http://www.cozycatfurniture.com/
  • edited 16 September, 2009
    You could just go to a park or abandoned lot that has a wooded area and look for a fallen LARGE tree branch or small tree, take it home and saw off the top most branches and bottom stump ( mine was rotting and fried from where lightening had struck), then get some plywood and nails and wood glue along with a glue gun... then create a scratching post....... ;) you could also attach wood planks and boom...instant cat house!:) a 5 foot 12 inch (made this way) scratching post cost me well under $30!:-O
  • edited 16 September, 2009
    PS make sure its a city park if you go to one, the restrictions in city parks are not as much as in State parks, plus most of the really neat wildlife can only be found in them ;) Alot of city parks in my area are a far cry from what they should be..... so don't worry if your harming them, most of the life that has or uses dead trees, (I'm talking small ones such as what you would need) have been wiped out or greatly reduced anyways through pollution and non native specices :(( (frogs toads/ect.)- sad but true..... .
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    It's Stella. My person bought me a scratching post that was made from a log and attached to a plywood base--and nobody ever went near it! It cost her $40 and she ended up putting it out for the trashmen. We don't like the sisal wrapped ones either, so now she is looking for a small but tall tower that has carpeting up and down and hasn't had any luck so far. She should have gotten one before she got these wild young kittens, because they are using the curtains for climbing!
  • Beth HallBeth Hall South ShieldsMember Posts: 329
    Zoo.com, momma got mine really cheap from there!
  • Pamela HaneyPamela Haney Old ForgeMember Posts: 893
    Mom built ours. It's 7ft tall, and 4 ft wide and 2 ft deep. Its huge and and sturdy (I'm 21 lbs) and has tons of shelfs for us. It only cost Mom $250 for all the supplies. It was a lot of work, but similar cat trees this size cost $800 +. You can do a search of photo tags for "the cat tree" and you can see ours.
  • melissa muttermelissa mutter West ChesterMember Posts: 10,189
    http://stores.ebay.com/Armarkat-Cat-Furniture-Store Armarkat. Buy from e-bay. You can win an auction for 99 cents, pay around $80 in shipping, 7 feet tall! There are smaller ones too! I cannot recommend this highly enough.
  • KIM WAREHIMEKIM WAREHIME WESTMINSTERMember Posts: 70
    try petedge.com. my mommy gets us all kinds of good stuff there including cat trees. they are relatively cheap & easy to put together. mommy also built us one thats 5\' tall 4\' long and 2\'wide. it holds all nine of us at the same time!!!she only spent about $150.00!!!! :^:
  • Heidi HessenHeidi Hessen Acworth/KennesawMember Posts: 975
    Mom got us ours from Amarkat.....it was on sale.....one of the ones that can go into a corner. Mom is pleased with the quality. She had been pricing these things for us for years and finally found one for a decent price. We don't go too nuts on it...i like to jump to the very top. Mom put it in front of one of the bedroom windows so me and Max can watch the goings on in the 'hood. And acuz we are on a hill in some trees we can see the birds really good! 'Specially the cardinals that nest in the big bushes next to that window! Good luck! Hope you get one soon!
  • Beth CostaBeth Costa Stoneham, MAMember Posts: 252
    Hi- We just ordered one directly from Amarkat and it was only $55 with free shipping. Smaller, less intricate cat towers were on sale at the petstore for 3x as much! We can't wait until it arrives|$|
  • Kelly GormleyKelly Gormley Orlando, FLMember Posts: 30
    cattreestore.com is a great website! I bought a tree that was over 5 feet tall that has a perch, a shelf to sleep on, stairs, and a little box to hide in and it was only $90, plus free shipping!!! They also have really great customer service and their shipments arrived super quick.
  • Sue KaufmannSue Kaufmann CranfordMember Posts: 1,465
    Based on everyone's recommendations, I just got mine from Armarkat. I bought it on eBay for $1.29 and paid about $73 for shipping. Their warehouse is only five or six miles away, so we asked if they would let us pick it up (can't hurt to ask, right?). Unfortunately they're not set up to do that, but we would have been tickled to have paid less than $2 for my tree. It would easily go for >$100 retail. Assembly was quick and easy, using the picture instructions, and all the parts are labeled with letters or numbers that correspond to the pictures. The only tool we needed was a screwdriver. It's also nice and sturdy. Now the big issue is in getting me to use it. My human has been leaving a few of my favorite treats on the lowest platform, so I hopped up there. I think now she's going to try for the next highest place. Do you think this is a good way to approach it? I am not usually shy about hopping up on the back of the couch, and unfortunately there is not enough space by the window to put the tree there. We would really love any advice anycat has.
  • Amy RussellAmy Russell SeattleMember Posts: 110
    Build your own! Scrap wood found everywgere. Go to Lowe's or Home Depot and they almost always have tubes from the carpeting they sell left over that they might give you. Ours always does. Or they sell tubes in the concrete cement section. Buy some sisal rope there to wrap around the tubing. Use a hot glue gun and wind the rope tightly around, it's a little teadious but easy.. Go t oa fabric store buy some foam padding and fur fabric for the seating. Some wood screws and a drill will be needed plus a little imagination. It's fun and MUCH cheaper!
  • Phillip McCormickPhillip McCormick TorontoMember Posts: 3
    HI, YOU CAN BUILD A TOWER, ITS QUITE EASY TO DO, ALL YOU NEED IS A BOTTOM, BOARD, PREF - 18X18, 5/8 PLYWOOD, 2- 2X24, DEPENDING ON THE HIGHT YOU WANT, I MADE MINE FLOOR TO CEILING, SOME CARPET ENDS, NAIL OR SCREW THE 2X4'S, TOGEATHER, NAIL OR SCREW THEM TO THE BASE, STAPLE CARPETS TO THE 2X4'S, ITS BEST TO USE A ELECTRICK STAPLE GUN, RAP TH ECARPET AROUND THE 2X4'S, GOOD AND TIGHT, STAPLE ( INCH APART), HAMMER STAMPLES AFTER TO MAKE SURE THEY ARE ALL THE IN, YOU CAN SE EA SAMPLE OF THE ONE I MADE FOR OUR CAT SALEM, HE LOVES IT/LOL, I MADE MINE LIKE A TREE, I'LL PUT SOME BETTER PICS OF IT,
  • MrD_Sam_RazaMrD_Sam_Raza New ZealandMember Posts: 2,511 ✭✭✭
    Salem that's a cool cat tree=D>
  • Gina GroneGina Grone Beatrice, NebraskaMember Posts: 217
    Go to petedge.com and check this out - this is a GREAT tower. We have two of them at our shelter. It's on sale for $59.99. Not sure what shipping is, though. http://homeandkennel.petedge.com/Meow-Town-Kitty-Condos-ZW81576.pro
  • DONNA KELLY-BIRCHDONNA KELLY-BIRCH kenoshaMember Posts: 1,018
    We bought one on Craigslist for $50 and it was only a couple months old (the lady had to give up her cats cause of allergies). She said she got it at overstock.com. So we went there to look at it, and it is about $95 and I think the shipping is cheap or free. The lady had to put it together, but it seems nice and mostly sturdy. It has a ladder that goes to a second level that has a cubby on it, and then it has a round perch and a square perch on the third level. It has a rope hanging off the square perch (as if kitties are going to swing from that??) and a toy on an elastic string hanging off the round perch (toy was already off, but we just tied a new one to it). It\'s covered in a sheepskin material and has sisal rope around all the support posts. A real large cat or cats may not appreciate this tree, but our foster kittens are digging it, as well as their Mama.
  • Heidi HessenHeidi Hessen Acworth/KennesawMember Posts: 975
    mom was just at petsmart and they have some good size really nice towers for sale for cheap now!!! we have one from amarkat she got us for christmas a couple years ago - she got it on sale but still it cost like a hundred bucks. the shipping for it was free at that time. mom still wants to make a tree for us - mostly for me....i love to climb up high!!! she is trying to find an old pole lamp (ya know, the ones that use tension to stay up by touching the ceiling and the floor???) she thinks with that as a base she could make me a really really cool place to hang out! and i could be up HIGH!!!
  • Sara KangSara Kang Member Posts: 403
    Walmart has them for $40. Its ceiling height, basic construction, 6 levels.
  • Patricia BrisenoPatricia Briseno Huntington BeachMember Posts: 357
    We got ours, an amazing one at a garage sale for $15.oo. Shampooed, it's like new. You might want to check craigslist. Amazing deals there and I think you can post "wanted" notices. good luck.