Mats and poop

Sarah MinerSarah Miner MaplewoodMember Posts: 3,790
edited 31 March, 2008 in Grooming
OK so mom has been fighting the ongoing battle of keeping my butt clean. I constantly have little pieces of poo and mats on my butt. She brushes me daily but my butt is so darn fluffy. Does anyone have any advice on how to get the mats out without hurting me with the brush? She tried cutting them out but I dont stay still and she doesn't want to slip and cut me. At the same time she tries to get them out without pulling my fur with the brush. Its not like I have diarrhea or anything either, its just normal poop. Is there some kind of product that is safe to use there that would help the mats come out easier? Lots of love, Gordy p.s. the rest of my body is fine just my butt gets these icky mats.

Comments

• Alexia EmersonAlexia Emerson Member Posts: 41
    edited 1 February, 2008
    Some long haired kitties get a "sanitary cut" where a groomer or someone else cuts the fluffy butt fur so that it won't trap the poo. My Meowmy's friend gets this done for her Ragdoll cats and it works.
  • Sarah MinerSarah Miner MaplewoodMember Posts: 3,790
    edited 1 February, 2008
    Thank you so much for the advice. I wondered if the vet would do that or something. Maybe my dogs groomer would do it for us too. Thank you so much.
  • Brittany ReedBrittany Reed Des Moines, IAMember Posts: 133
    edited 1 February, 2008
    I have to go get a butt cut! i get a lion cut during the summer, but when my long fur grows back, espically around my bottom (pieces of poo tag along with me sometimes, and mommy finds them around the house :)) ) she recently took us to the groomer... but i DO suggest getting the back of your legs done too, if your fur is super long... mommy didnt have that done this time, and i'm still taking my poopies along with me sometimes.
  • Jennifer SzucsJennifer Szucs ChathamMember Posts: 3,765
    edited 5 February, 2008
    I shave around Stellas rectal to prevent this from happening it does help alot. I also recommend a mat breaker. You can get it a Pet Smart or any pet store really. Works wonders !!!
  • Glen RocheGlen Roche NYMember Posts: 66
    edited 24 March, 2008
    My vet shaved the hair around my butt. So, vets will do it. It was very much worth it!
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 31 March, 2008
    Oh, yes, doo-doo nuggets. We Maine Coons are prone to them, too. Your human is keeping you regularly groomed, so maybe shaving is a good alternative, as other posters have suggested. My human just patiently gets the bigger pieces out with a tissue, and then combs the area with a metal fine-toothed comb. But then, I don\'t have this problem every day, just sometimes. Gosh, the things we fluffy cats have to put up with.