pulling hair out when grooming

angie samerangie samer Brick, NJMember Posts: 46
edited 17 February, 2008 in Grooming
Hi, Just wondering if anyone has this with their kitties. When she is grooming, she licks and tugs on her fur. At times I see her really tugging and then pulling a little out. Is this normal? She is not bald, but thin on her back near her rear area. This is not in just one spot. You can see it around the whole area, patches that are thin.Any suggestions or imput would be helpful. Thanks.

Comments

• Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 6 February, 2008
    Our meowmy has read that this may be a sign of stress. Is there a new cat, dog or small human in your household? Have you moved to a new home recently? There are lots and lots of cats on CATSTER that can offer more suggestions, websites, etc. And, when in doubt - consult your vet. Hope this helps, Pete Fountain, Louis Armstrong, Emma Barrett & Benny Grunch|:|
  • stacy mitchumstacy mitchum Bridgeport TXMember Posts: 5,857 ✭✭✭
    edited 7 February, 2008
    I have a sister named Beckie who does that all the time. When it was time for her vaccines Mommy asked Dr. Bill about it. Sure enough it was caused by stress in her case. I would still be open to other ideas though like allergies or just plain old obbsessive bathing. Beckie is a rather high strung cat, nervous, and not always fond of the other cats near her. She is also very protective over Mommy and gets extra nervous when Mommy is gone.
  • Kate LindsayKate Lindsay Member Posts: 91
    edited 10 February, 2008
    Our Mitty Kitty used to do this. We thought it was stress but it turned out she was allergic to a cleaning product. We had just changed because one was on sale but once we changed back and she took some med's, we were fine. Good luck!!
  • Heidi HessenHeidi Hessen Acworth/KennesawMember Posts: 975
    edited 12 February, 2008
    Hello Mittens, yes, i also pull out furs on my back....not enough to be bald *gasps* but it is thinner...mom thinks it is acuz i am just a stress kitty....i don't really like other kitties...i don't really like anyone ('ceptin' mom, and not even her all the time!). i am a feral girl....mom thinks this may have somethin to do with it too. My grandson Maxwell overgrooms too...he has itchees from being a static kitty. mom got a hoomidfryer and it is helping out some...
  • CalvinCalvin ScottsdaleMember Posts: 8,818 ✭✭✭
    edited 13 February, 2008
    Hi Mittens! I pull out my hair too. I started doing it when I was in a stressful situation. I pull the hair on my front paws, and my belly! It has gotten better since I've come to my new home. The vet said it can also occur from obsessive grooming.

The Cats in the Clover
    Samoa, Calvin, Violet, Gleek, Spunky, Sugar, Vivien, Newman, & Inky

• edited 17 February, 2008
    She's shedding! Or you're pulling too hard.