Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

How much should i be fed?

kim molekim mole Member Posts: 21
edited 8 February, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
I am a 7 month old ragdoll cat and i am currently being fed 3 pouches of wet cat food a day with some biscuits mixed in. When i went for my spaying operation, the vet mentioned to my meowmy that i was "chunky".....the cheek i tell you. Meowmy is now worried that she is feeding me too much and i am overweight. When i was weighed the other day i weighed 6lb which i didnt think was bad for a ragdoll kitten (i mean we are the biggest bread of cat). Any views would be appreciated. CoCo

Comments

• Vanessa BobackVanessa Boback TampaMember Posts: 3,149
    edited 7 February, 2008
    I have always let my kittens eat however much they wanted.... and actually even the adults. I have never had a problem with weight, ever. The problem may lie in what kind of food you are offering. What brand do you feed? I personally don't think 7 lbs is a whole lot. Rasha weighs 11 lbs is 2 yrs old and the vet said he was a perfect weight. We feed Nature's Variety Instinct and Innova EVO. By the way, I hope you are recovering nicely from your spay, Cheetah is doing quite well after hers!! AND.... YOUR SO CUTE!! ;)
  • Stephanie ChangtuStephanie Changtu MiamiMember Posts: 1,175
    edited 7 February, 2008
    What food are you eating? If your eating a grain free food that should be fine for you. Crappy brands like Friskies,Fancy Feast,Science Diet,Iams ect... make you fat becouse they have alot of veggies and rice and fruits and corn and other things we don't need that make us very,I mean very,fat. If you feed a good grain free food 3 pouches wouldn't be bad at all. You shouldn't mix alot of kibble to the pouched food becouse I would say that the pouches alone are enough. I would feed the max of 1/4 cup of kibble,a grain free one,also.
  • kim molekim mole Member Posts: 21
    edited 8 February, 2008
    At the moment she is fed a variety of different food. Her favourate is science plan but she also eats a few others. I dont give her the basic supermarket brands like whiskers or felix, but maybe i need to get her something better. Any ideas for food available in uk?
  • Vanessa BobackVanessa Boback TampaMember Posts: 3,149
    edited 8 February, 2008
    Someone else might be able to help you with the location, but i'll give you some brands that will start you in the right direction and maybe you can find it over there. Or have it shipped to you. Nature's Variety Innova EVO Wellness Solid Gold Evangers Felidae California Naturals Orijen Hopefully you will be able to find at least one of those brands nearby. The best thing you can do is find a good GRAIN FREE food, something like Nature's Variety or Innova EVO. GOOD LUCK!!!! ;)