Sorry I put this in the other forum first; it fits better here but I don't know how to delete the other one. Anyway....
My Oscar has been through a rough month, and I'm overwhelmed trying to figure out how to get him through it.
My cats have been on Nutro dry and canned for years with no problem. In the past couple months they started vomitting more, so I started thinking about switching their food to something better.
Right around New Years, Oscar started a bout of diarrhea for the first time in years. (In the past, it went away on its own.) I watched him for a few days until he finally passed a piece of string about 3 inches long. The next day the diarrhea was gone.
So, I went about switching their food over to California Natural. All was well for about a week until Oscar's diarrhea started up again. I figured it was due to the food change, and after about a week the diarrhea was gone.
Then after one more week, both cats stopped eating the California Natural canned and would only eat the dry. So I did more research and decided I didn't want to feed them that anymore, either. I started researching, and then....Oscar's diarrhea started up for a third time. So this is, 3 bouts of diarrhea, each time with one week of no diarrhea in between.
So I took him to the vet and he went on an antibiotic. Vet said his diarrhea should clear within two days, and it did. The antibiotic said to give it to him for a week, so I figured, that's what you do with antibiotics, so he stayed on it for a week. By day 5, his stools were getting loose again. By the day after his last day on antibiotic, the diarrhea was back.
So now here we are 2 days later. During the diarrhea, against my better judgment, I put the cats back on nutro but the pouches this time, just to get some food in them other than kibble. Maybe I shouldn't have done that, but they weren't eating the California Natural canned anymore!
So now I don't know what to do. Ultimately I'd like to switch them over to raw, but Oscar isnt really ON any food right now at all. And first I should treat the diarrhea, right?
I just came back from the store with some chicken and rice to put him on a bland diet. Should I re-administer the antibiotic? The vet gave me a big bottle to administer as needed, but it's only been 2 days off of it.
Oscar won't touch yogurt, altho my other cat loves it. Neither will touch canned pumpkin. I do plan to try mixing some into his chicken and rice, however.
But what if this bland diet doesn't take care of the diarrhea? I guess it's back to the vet then?
Can you switch food in the midst of diarrhea? If he's on boiled chicken for a few days or a week or two, could I then gradually switch him over to raw from that? Or only if the diarrhea gets fixed?
Sorry if this is long. I'm so frustrated and overwhelmed.