Changing food amidst diarrhea?

Leigh PetersonLeigh Peterson AkronMember Posts: 796
edited 19 March, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
Sorry I put this in the other forum first; it fits better here but I don't know how to delete the other one. Anyway.... My Oscar has been through a rough month, and I'm overwhelmed trying to figure out how to get him through it. My cats have been on Nutro dry and canned for years with no problem. In the past couple months they started vomitting more, so I started thinking about switching their food to something better. Right around New Years, Oscar started a bout of diarrhea for the first time in years. (In the past, it went away on its own.) I watched him for a few days until he finally passed a piece of string about 3 inches long. The next day the diarrhea was gone. So, I went about switching their food over to California Natural. All was well for about a week until Oscar's diarrhea started up again. I figured it was due to the food change, and after about a week the diarrhea was gone. Then after one more week, both cats stopped eating the California Natural canned and would only eat the dry. So I did more research and decided I didn't want to feed them that anymore, either. I started researching, and then....Oscar's diarrhea started up for a third time. So this is, 3 bouts of diarrhea, each time with one week of no diarrhea in between. So I took him to the vet and he went on an antibiotic. Vet said his diarrhea should clear within two days, and it did. The antibiotic said to give it to him for a week, so I figured, that's what you do with antibiotics, so he stayed on it for a week. By day 5, his stools were getting loose again. By the day after his last day on antibiotic, the diarrhea was back. So now here we are 2 days later. During the diarrhea, against my better judgment, I put the cats back on nutro but the pouches this time, just to get some food in them other than kibble. Maybe I shouldn't have done that, but they weren't eating the California Natural canned anymore! So now I don't know what to do. Ultimately I'd like to switch them over to raw, but Oscar isnt really ON any food right now at all. And first I should treat the diarrhea, right? I just came back from the store with some chicken and rice to put him on a bland diet. Should I re-administer the antibiotic? The vet gave me a big bottle to administer as needed, but it's only been 2 days off of it. Oscar won't touch yogurt, altho my other cat loves it. Neither will touch canned pumpkin. I do plan to try mixing some into his chicken and rice, however. But what if this bland diet doesn't take care of the diarrhea? I guess it's back to the vet then? Can you switch food in the midst of diarrhea? If he's on boiled chicken for a few days or a week or two, could I then gradually switch him over to raw from that? Or only if the diarrhea gets fixed? Sorry if this is long. I'm so frustrated and overwhelmed.

Comments

• Vanessa BobackVanessa Boback TampaMember Posts: 3,149
    edited 10 February, 2008
    I'm sorry that your having troubles!! I know what it's like having problems like that and it's not always easy to deal with. This happened to me before with both my cats at the same time and it has FINALLY gone away after about 2 months. It started when I changed their food to Timberwolf organics, it messed them up for months and no matter what I did, I couldn't get them better. To make a long story short, I started them on Nature's Variety Instinct dry food and Innova EVO canned food religiously. They didn't get anything else except some digestive enzymes (which seemed to really help) and I recently started them on Solid Gold Seameal (which REALLY helped) After a long journey of dissapointments, I finally got it right. You're probably not supposed to switch up the food in the middle of a diarrhea episode, but I had to do something and luckily it worked. Since raw can be hard on the tummy at first (so i hear) my advice (if you want to switch to raw) is to keep him on the rice and chicken until he is regular again and slowly introduce the raw. Maybe someone can advise you on how to do that correctly because raw and cooked shouldn't be mixed. Sorry you're having a hard time and good luck!!!! =;
  • Robin BassRobin Bass Forest HillsMember Posts: 105
    edited 18 March, 2008
    I hope by now your situation is resolved....but Boiled chicken and rice til it's over, with tuna water poured over for flavor
  • Kara DickmanKara Dickman Middle of No WhereMember Posts: 2,283 ✭✭
    edited 18 March, 2008
    I would have them check his stool. If he were human I would say (because the antibiotics helped so much) he had c-dip (I don't know the real name). If he has a digestive bacterial infection you need to treat ALL your animals. Most are very infectious and sometimes there are no symptoms. I would explain why it came back so quickly. Once you have some of them you are prone to them P.S. If it is a digestive bacteria infection. You need to be wearing gloves every time you do anything with the litter box!
  • Leigh PetersonLeigh Peterson AkronMember Posts: 796
    edited 19 March, 2008
    Hi all, Well after I got switched to raw food, I have had no diarrhea at all! None in over a month now. Yay!