picky about grain free

victoria avictoria a Asheville, NCMember Posts: 2,371
edited 12 March, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
Boogie is a bit chunky, shes lost some weight since I put her on grain free, innova evo, but shes always hesitant about eating it, I've also tried natures variety instinct, which she ate at first then stopped , orijen, and now I bought a small bag for Blue buffalo wilderness, and she doesent it eat with much gusto either. The last one I'll try is Wellness core and I'm out of options as this point. If your cat is on grain free, which one do you use? the cats mostly eat canned though and some raw and kibble as snack.

Comments

• Sara BehrSara Behr Green Bay, WIMember Posts: 547
    edited 15 February, 2008
    I eat Natural Balance Limited Ingredient (Green Pea and Duck). Both me and Chaucer love it in kibble form or canned! This is the ingredient list from the website: INGREDIENT LISTING Peas, Duck Meal, Duck, Canola Oil, Flaxseed, Natural Flavor, Methionine, Choline Chloride, Taurine, Natural Mixed Tocopherols), Zinc Proteinate, Vitamin E Supplement, Niacin, Manganese Proteinate, Copper Proteinate, Zinc Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Thiamine Mononitrate (Vitamin B-1), Vitamin A Supplement, Biotin, Potassium Iodide, d-Calcium Pantothenate, Riboflavin (Vitamin B-2), Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B-6), Vitamin B-12 Supplement, Manganous Oxide, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin D-3 Supplement, Folic Acid (Vitamin B).
  • Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 15 February, 2008
    Dry food isn't species appropriate and can can cause health problems as described here: http://www.catinfo.org If the cats don't like eating dry food, then I wouldn't bother feeding it. For "crunchies" you can have some treats. My two cents :)
  • Maggie BussaMaggie Bussa Member Posts: 191
    edited 15 February, 2008
    I bought Innova Evo Cat & Kitten dry and Wellness Core. My cats don't LOVE them, but I had to switch to grain free, low carbs because my old cats is becoming diabetic. His follow up appt is tomorrow and I must say he looks healthier. Also, I feed the crew here wet food twice a day now, also because of my diabetic senior kitty. He doesn't care for the new dry, but now if he takes a few bites between meals, it isn't as bad for him as the other stuff he used to eat.
  • victoria avictoria a Asheville, NCMember Posts: 2,371
    edited 16 February, 2008
    thanks, they mostly eat canned, and dry as a snack, chloe wont eat dry at all. I did pick up a sample bag of Taste of the Wild today which she seemed to like, so we'll see.
  • Jennifer FoellerJennifer Foeller BuffaloMember Posts: 56
    edited 16 February, 2008
    Hi Booger.. If you fed dry food before it will take your cat a long time to get used to the flavor of grain free.. Most dry foods add an ingredient called "animal digest" which can be almost addicting for cats. If the food you fed before contained that, it will just take them a long time to get used to eating foods without it.. I made the switch pretty gradually, from the cheap dry they were on to higher end low grain dry. Then to Innova and now they're on raw with the occasional can of Innova.. It just takes time. So long as your cats are eating, they'll be fine and will gradually adjust..
  • victoria avictoria a Asheville, NCMember Posts: 2,371
    edited 28 February, 2008
    thanks, I think I'll stick with taste of the wild for now, not a fan of diamond but the ingridients look ok.
  • Natalie RobertsNatalie Roberts NashvilleMember Posts: 83
    edited 9 March, 2008
    Mommy recently switched me to grain free. I primarily eat just canned food (Wellness grain-free and Innova Evo), but Mommy bought me some Innova Evo dry kibble to use when she was transitioning me over. Oh, Mommy did get a sample bag of Solid Gold Indigo Moon, and I would NOT touch it. I\'m not a big fan of the grain-free dry food either, but I always eat EVERY bite of my canned food! Mommy now just leaves a tiny, tiny bit in my bowl to snack on in case I get the munchies. It usually takes me 2-3 days to eat the 1/2 tbsp. she puts in my bowl! If your kitty is eating mainly canned food, then I wouldn\'t really worry about how she takes the dry food. As long as she\'s eating enough canned food to get her daily requirements, she\'ll be fine!
  • Denise LottDenise Lott South of TucsonMember Posts: 813
    edited 11 March, 2008
    My brother Pixel and I eat Innova EVO dry (mixed with Purina DM dry, as I am diabetic). We\'ve been eating this for two months and still like it. We do get canned food also, the dry is just down for us to eat during the day. We\'ve eaten the Wellness canned grain-free and like that. The Wellness dry was much more expensive than EVO. We have seen no scientific evidence that dry food causes any particular health problem in cats. There\'s actually one study that showed that dry vs. canned makes no difference in whether a cat develops diabetes. Feeding mostly canned is better if you have urinary tract issues (as is making sure you get enough water). Other than that, just make sure your food has good quality ingredients.
  • Kelly HendryKelly Hendry Charlottesville, VAMember Posts: 556
    edited 12 March, 2008
    Hi! We eat Instinct and it did take us about a month to decide that we really did like it! Mom had a talk with the woman at the cat food store and she said that because we were switching from Science Diet (which has a lot of sugar) that it was basically like going from donuts to all bran which would be rough for anyone. We also really like grain food, so Mommy helped the transition by mixing Artemis fresh mix in with it and gradually reducing the Artemis.