Pet Promise?

Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
edited 16 February, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
We've been eating Nutro Natural Choice for several years but lately mom's seems to be cleaning up an awful lot of vomit around the house, so she's looking to switch us to something else. She was at the pet supply store the other day and got us a small bag of Pet Promise and a few cans of their wet food to try. We really like it! What do you kitties think about it? It doesn't have any by-products, and mom likes the fact that the meat comes from free-range chickens and wild salmon instead of factory farms. Here are the ingredients: Dry: Healthy Weight & Aging Nutrition for 7+ or Overweight Cats Wet: Wild Salmon Formula Chicken Formula

Comments

• Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 16 February, 2008
    i am not a fan because it has corn gluten meal and soy flour, both hard to digest for felines. Corn has no value and is a filler. The sure sign of a good food is the first 3-4 ingredients being a meat source. By-products are FINE. this just means it is the heart and liver and other organs, which cats need and is a natural source of taurine. Grain free diets are fine as long as your cat isn’t overweight. Grain free has alot of fat in them. it is a tough call when you have a fat cat. I use Wellness healthy weight, but this is pricey. you really have to be a lable reader. dont just go by what the front of the bag says! it dosnt matter if it says "vet recommend" ( i used to work for a vet. companies like Iams send vets free or discounted foods to use in there kennels, and thats why the vets 'recommend' it) all i can say is, check check and check again labels! I found that even check and compare labels within the same BRAND. for example, one foods "original" formula, the first ingredient was chicken. The exact same brand but in "tuna" flavor, the first ingredient was corn! being expensive dosnt guarantee quality eaither. check labels. stay away from corn and soy and foods with a high % of fat. ones with l-lysine and l-cartine are good foods. also ones with omega 3 fatty acids are good for coat. hope this helps some. i have done alot of research on nutrition.
  • Stephanie ChangtuStephanie Changtu MiamiMember Posts: 1,175
    edited 16 February, 2008
    It\'s not that bad,but It\'s not good either because it has ingredients that it shouldn\'t have. I like that it (kibble) has 36.o% of Crude Protein that means meat. The previous kitty said meat-by products are organs,thats WRONG! Meat-by products are wastes! Meat By-Products are parts of slaughtered animals, not including meat (please note: no muscle meat included). Meat by product meal is the same thing so that you\'d know. I don\'t think grain free food will make your cat fat! Grains are the ones that do make your cat fat.