Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Critique My Diet

Tara WTara W St. PaulMember Posts: 939
edited 18 February, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
Oh how I love seafood! But my girl says that I need more than that to be a healthy cat. Here\'s what I eat every day. Will you give me your opinion? Breakfast: Half of a 2.8oz can of Tiki Cat. I like all the tuna options. Midday: A few kibbles (less than a 1/4 cup) of Evo Dry Cat & Kitten food. This is also what the ferrets eat, so I help myself out of their bowl as well. My humans try to limit this. Dinner: 1/3 of a 5.5 oz can of one of the following: *Evo Chicken & Turkey *Evo Duck *Evanger\'s Holistic Pheasant Dinner *Evanger\'s Organic Braised Chicken Dinner *Evanger\'s Organic Turkey & Butternut Squash Dinner I really like Evanger\'s Seafood Dinners too, but the girl thought I was eating too much fish all the time. Do you think I\'m getting a healthy diet? I\'m very active and not overweight or underweight and my coat is lovely. I don\'t want to get some health problems down the line because of my diet!

Comments

• Karen LeeKaren Lee The kingdom of Mer-lotMember Posts: 89,020
    edited 16 February, 2008
    Fish contains a lot of phosphorus which can lead to UTIs. Plus, fish is very addicting to eat. And some fish may contain mercury. It's best to limit fish to one or two meals a week. The rest of your diet is good. EVO is a very good brand. =; An aside, EVO has a special ferret dry food. I don't know if it's any better than the cat food. EVO Ferret food But if you like to eat what the ferrets are eating, it's probably best to stick with the EVO cat food.
  • Tara WTara W St. PaulMember Posts: 939
    edited 17 February, 2008
    Thanks, Merlin! I did buy the Ferret Evo dry once, but I compared labels and saw that it's identical to the Cat & Kitten. Just much MUCH pricier! The kibbles are the same shape and size and everything. The ferrets came to us through a rescue and had been fed an inferior (mostly corn) diet. It took quite a number of weeks to make the transition to Evo, but now that everyone is eating it we're all so much healthier!
  • Vanessa BobackVanessa Boback TampaMember Posts: 3,149
    edited 18 February, 2008
    I think that you have a wonderful diet and the only thing I would mention is to cut back on the seafood. I try to have the cat's staple diet Chicken and Turkey and anything else will only be a few times a week. My kitties get Nature's Variety dry and EVO canned everyday and Evangers as a treat. They just had the Evangers whole mackerel today and let me tell you, they went crazy for it!! =D> for such great food!!!! :D
  • Tara WTara W St. PaulMember Posts: 939
    edited 18 February, 2008
    Oh! I had the mackerel once and I thought it was really interesting! I only ate part of it though. I guess it was too... weird because I wasn't interested in it again later.
  • Sharon BraatenSharon Braaten Great BarringtonMember Posts: 842
    edited 18 February, 2008
    We love that whole mackeral! Little bones and everything. Mom hates it though but she gives it to us anyway! Super stinky and super delicious! %:D%