Dear Catster reader,

Almost two years ago, we invested numerous resources and rebuilt the Catster community. With new hardware, software and personnel, we did our best to satisfy the many users who shared their thoughts, pictures, questions, and love for and of their pets with us and friends. It was a thriving community with many users. We hoped, however, there would be more like you.

Times and habits have changed and we are sad to announce that the Catster community will be closing down on July 20, 2019.

Catster magazine, www.catster.com and the associated social media sites are NOT shutting down. We encourage you to continue reading the content found in the pages of the magazine and the web sites, commenting through the mechanisms provided and sharing your ideas and comments with us and your fellow readers.

Instructions for accessing pet profiles were shared with everyone in 2017. The instructions can be found elsewhere within the forum. AFTER JULY 20TH, YOU WILL NOT BE ABLE TO ACCESS THIS CONTENT. And, effective immediately, we are no longer able to answer questions about the community.

Thank you for your support and we look forward to serving you through our magazine and website.

Cheers,
Catster

Dry food opinion

Beth CostaBeth Costa Stoneham, MAMember Posts: 252
edited 23 February, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
Hi everyone, Hector is on Felidae dry and I vary the canned because he gets picky and bored. The only store that sells Felidae is 2 towns over and I am considering trying Solid Gold Katz n Flocken (available at the local Petstore). They both look like good foods to me. Does anyone have any opinions about which of the two is better, Felidae or Solid Gold? Just looking for opinions... Thanks!

Comments

• Leigh PetersonLeigh Peterson AkronMember Posts: 796
    edited 17 February, 2008
    I vote for Felidae. I did some research and I think they are more pure than Solid Gold.
  • Mary ComminsMary Commins AntiochMember Posts: 55,502
    edited 18 February, 2008
    we eat the Solid Gold Katz'n'Flocken and love it!! since we can never find a site that compares and rates cat foods like dg foods we checked the dog food reviews for Solid Gold, which is given 5 starts and Canidae (the dog equivalent to Felidae) and they are given 4 stars. Hope that helps!
  • Stephanie ChangtuStephanie Changtu MiamiMember Posts: 1,175
    edited 18 February, 2008
    You can just compare it yourself and see what has the best ingrediets. I'll compare it for you so you can see the difference. Feliade: Chicken Meal, Turkey Meal, Brown Rice, Lamb Meal, Chicken Fat, (Preserved with mixed Tocopherols), Herring Meal, Eggs, Flax Seed Meal, Sun Cured Alfalfa Meal, Sunflower Oil, Chicken, Lecithin, Linoleic Acid, Amaranth, DL Methionine, Taurine, Kelp, Cranberries, Apples, Monocalcium Phosphate, Potassium Chloride, Choline Chloride, Rosemary Extract, Sage Extract, Dried Enterococcus Faecium, Dried Lactobacillus Acidophilus Fermentation Product, Dried Aspergillus Oryzae Fermentation Extract, Dried Bacillus Subtilis Fermentation Extract, Inulin (from Chicory Root), Dried Saccharomyces Cerevisiae Fermentation Solubles, Yucca Schidigera Extract, Mixed Tocopherols (source of Vitamin E), Zinc Amino Acid Chelate, Manganese Amino Acid Chelate, Iron Amino Acid Chelate, Copper Amino Acid Chelate, Cobalt Amino Acid Chelate, Vitamin A supplement, Vitamin D3 Supplement, Ascorbic Acid (source of Vitamin C), Niacin, Thiamin Mononitrate (Vitamin B1), Riboflavin (source of B2), Beta Carotene, Calcium Pantothenate, Pyridoxine Hydrochloride (Vitamin B6), Calcium Iodate, Folic Acid, D-Biotin, Sodium Selenite, Papaya, Vitamin B12 Supplement. Katz-N-Flocken Cat Food: Lamb | Chicken Meal | Millet | Brown Rice | Ocean Fish Meal | Cracked Pearled Barley | Canola Oil | Natural Flavor | Salmon Oil (source of DHA) | Flaxseed | Potassium Chloride | Choline Chloride | Taurine | Dried Chicory Root | Amaranth | Parsley Flakes | Spearmint | Almond Oil | Sesame Oil | Yucca Schidigera Extract | Kelp | Thyme | Blueberries | Cranberries | Apples | Lentils | Quinoa | Vitamin E Supplement | Iron Proteinate | Zinc Proteinate | Copper Proteinate | Ferrous Sulfate | Zinc Sulfate | Copper Sulfate | Potassium Iodide | Thiamine Mononitrate | Manganese Proteinate | Manganous Oxide | Ascorbic Acid | Vitamin A Supplement | Biotin | Calcium Panthothenate | Manganese Sulfate | Sodium Selenite | Pyridoxine Hydrochloride | Vitamin B12 Supplement | Riboflavin | Vitamin D Supplement | Folic Acid | I would say Solid Gold has much better ingredeints than Feliade does. Feliade has too muchthings that it doesn't have to have. Solid Gold does have things that it shouldn't have also but it is way better. So I pick Solid Gold. Also,Solid Gold has 39 % meat and Feliade has 20% meat.
  • Tessa TaylorTessa Taylor Member Posts: 15,662 ✭✭
    edited 18 February, 2008
    Does anyone have an opinion about Blue Buffalo Select dry cat food? I\'ve been eating it since I was a kitten and the vet said it was high in protein. But I was thinking baout switching to Solid Gold. But Blue Buffalo just came out with an organic cat food (dry) Anybody try that yet?:-k
  • Beth CostaBeth Costa Stoneham, MAMember Posts: 252
    edited 19 February, 2008
    Thanks, everybody. We might get a small bag of the Solid Gold today before we run out of Felidae and try mixing them both for a week or so to make a gradual switch. They both seem like good foods to me, it's just easier to get to Petco than to the specialty store where I buy the Felidae. Thanks again!
  • edited 23 February, 2008
    Hector, I'd go with Solid Gold. As far as Blue Buffalo, I'm not sure about other cats, but mine hated it. They wouldn't eat for days until I bought them something else.
  • Leanna GeorgeLeanna George Member Posts: 1,036
    edited 23 February, 2008
    My meowmy loves Blue Buffalo. We ate it for a long time. Mommy wasn't very happy though when they discontinued the Hairball Formula for an Indoor cat formula. It's not quite as good as the hairball was. Mommy stopped feeding us Blue and has tried Solid Gold, Innova, and Evo with us. She then tried Blue again. Not sure why mommy did that. She got us Solid Gold last time because it's a bit cheaper where she works than the Blue (mommy works at Petco and they just started carrying the Blue). Meowmy may go back to Blue for the Wilderness (low grain) formula if they get it at work, but for now, mommy thinks she'll stick with KatzNFlocken.