Food question

Charlene luportCharlene luport NapaMember Posts: 1,094
edited 5 March, 2008 in Food & Nutrition
Ok I need to switch my cats to a walmart food. No speeches please I'm going threw a hard time and need to cut costs. I was thinking the Purina one naturals brand but not sure any suggestions??

Comments

• Janet PlymireJanet Plymire IllinoisMember Posts: 344
    edited 21 February, 2008
    Hi Grim! I did a little looking at different Purina foods and I think I would choose Purina Cat Chow Naturals. It doesn\'t contain any by-products and has more protein than Purina ONE Natural Blend. Here\'s some of the first ingredients of Cat Chow Naturals: Chicken meal, Corn gluten meal, soybean meal, Brewers rice, Animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols ( form of vitamin E), Chicken meal, Chicken, Salmon... Here\'s some ingredients of ONE Natural Blend: Chicken, corn gluten meal, poultry by-product meal, oat meal, brown rice, whole grain wheat, animal fat preserved with mixed-tocopherols (form of Vitamin E), wheat gluten... Cat Chow Naturals has 38% Protein and ONE Natural Blend has 34% Protein. They both have a lot of grains, but I would pick the one with the most protein. Our Wal-mart also sells a pretty good canned food by Natural Life that would be a good supplement to the dry food. Good luck with whatever you choose.
  • Vanessa BobackVanessa Boback TampaMember Posts: 3,149
    edited 21 February, 2008
    I'll go with Bandit on that one. Also, if you have a Costco near you, they have a kirklands brand that isn't too bad either and very cost effective. Good luck!
  • Leanna GeorgeLeanna George Member Posts: 1,036
    edited 23 February, 2008
    I'd probably do Purina One because I don't like soy. That's probably where the higher protein in cat chow naturals is coming from. Do you have a Petco near you? I work at Petco and our 4 lb bags of Solid Gold are 7.99 (15 lbs for 19.99). It's a good food and I think it's actually priced less than the Purina One, but I'm not sure.
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 24 February, 2008
    It's true that some of the premium brands are cheaper than you'd expect. A few years ago, mom switched us from Purina One to Chicken Soup for the Cat Lover's Soul and was surprised that the new food was actually cheaper ($5.89 for a 3.5 lb bag of Purina One, or about $1.70/lb, vs. 8.99 for a 6 lb bag of Chicken Soup, about $1.50/lb). It's worth checking around at the specialty shops--there are some good deals! :)
  • Sharon DaltonSharon Dalton Member Posts: 3,728
    edited 1 March, 2008
    Well, my doctor recommended Purina O.N.E.; mom needed something that she could buy for us when she hauls us off to a cabin in the mountains - a sort of remote area! I've been getting the Purina O.N.E. weight management/hairball formula for most of my 7 years and haven't had any problems. My 'sister' My Sweet Lady who went to Rainbow Bridge two weeks ago, used to chuck up hairballs, but once we started on the Purina - no more hairballs from her! Mom gets a feline newsletter from Tufts Univesity and one from Cornell; one of them had an article last year about feeding, and the vet in the article said that any commercial food that meets AAFCO standards should be fine.
  • Melissa DycheMelissa Dyche TrentonMember Posts: 49
    edited 5 March, 2008
    Grim.... I am also going through tough times too |:| I have Katie on Urinary SO (it's from the Vet), Katie is on it because of the Ash content from store bought brands, and was developing crystals. One bag cost $30 and I just can't afford to spend that kind of money right now; so I was also looking into Parina Naturals, I wonder if there is any Ash in it and if so, how much? I read the package and it doesn't say anything about Ash. :-k I wonder if I could put Katie on this Cat food? Any suggestions from everyone, would be wonderful!