Fake Cats? Huh?

Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
edited 15 September, 2014 in Other Meows & Purrs
Anyone need a laugh? Someone is posting on the \"Answers\" board and asking if we\'ve ever heard of \"fake cats\". I think this person is also posting asking why us Catsters think their cat is not real. (There are photos of cats on both posts and they look real enough to me.) I don\'t know if this person was asking why WE think their cat(s) is (are) fake or if someone in their realm is saying this. Anyway, a few of us posters on the Answer board are having a few laughs about this. Care to join in? =;

Comments

• Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 7 April, 2008
    Some of us may not be fake, but may be using a pseudonym. Paranoia reigns...:D
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    edited 7 April, 2008
    Ah, yes. Going \"in-cat-nito\". I understand. S-h-h-h-h...:-$:-#
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 7 April, 2008
    No pseudonyms for me. But you have to meet me to believe half the stuff I do on a regular basis. I've recently added "mouths the toilet paper to abscond with it so that we can have some private time under the living room table" to my repertoire. Shredding it in the bathroom didn't do it for me anymore, because I get caught right away. Did I mention I can and have knocked it down from a cabinet that sits 2 1/2 feet the toilet tank multiple times during the day? Mom says I need a new hobby.
  • Tanya MundyTanya Mundy boulderMember Posts: 763
    edited 7 April, 2008
    it's the internet. I'm dubious of everyone on the internet. Cats seem more safe than "get your highschool date here", grins. but i remain a skeptic. I think all'ya'll are probably dogs in disguise.
  • Jo MillerJo Miller Member Posts: 1,915
    edited 7 April, 2008
    :)) Horus- Every once a while a DOG does show up on Catster!!
    edited 7 April, 2008
    A dog! A DOG!!!! Perish the thought!!! ::o I tolerate the dogs in my house only because they distract Meowmie long enough for us to (try to) bolt out the door or get into other mischief in the house...%:D%;c;
    edited 7 April, 2008
    BTW--Holy Wow, Boris, that\'s gotta be tough on your family when they go to take a sit down if you keep absconding with the potty paper. At least leave a few sheets for them...:D
    edited 7 April, 2008
    We haven't had a toilet paper roll hanging on the roller for a whole year. I think we are used to it by now, and (luckily) we had started buying TP in bulk before Boris moved in. It's still loads of fun to explain to overnight guests why they have to get TP from the top cabinet though. :-/ Someday soon we will move to a bigger place, and the first order of business will be to make all but one bathroom kitty free (now that we know what we're dealing with). Mom
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 April, 2008
    Someone once created a Catster page with a picture of a bicycle. I like the easy ones . . . you don\'t have to ponder whether or not to click on the \"notify\" button. :))
    edited 8 April, 2008
    Fake cats...ah, yes. Buddhist doctrine teaches that all reality is illusion, that the phenomenal world is but a figment of our imagination, indeed, that consciousness itself is an illusion, and that ultimately, there is no truth but the provisional truth that there is no truth. In that sense, we are all fake cats. For that matter, our humans are also fake, ditto Catster. ...Do I get a treat for posting that, Meowmy? Huh? Huh?
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 8 April, 2008
    Edo, ergo sum. I eat, therefore I am. |^|
  • Darlene WagnerDarlene Wagner MilwaukeeMember Posts: 1,075
    edited 8 April, 2008
    The fake cats show up when they can get free stuff or there are contests to win. There were other postings about it on the forum pages. Even in the contest you can tell because the pictures can be found on the net under different names. Crazy world huh?
    edited 8 April, 2008
    Yikes. This is getting too existential for me...I think I\'ll go sit on Meowmie\'s lap and have her read \"Kitten Tales\" to me again. She always puts my name in the story. =;
    edited 8 April, 2008
    My Meowmy always reads \"Kitten TAILS\" to me, that is when we aren\'t reading the Lotus Sutra, the Diamond Sutra, the Perfect Enlightenment Sutra, or my personal fave, the Heart Sutra. which (as Catwikipedia puts it) helps us gain insight into the \"fundamental emptiness of all phenomena.\" ...Speaking of \"emptiness,\" have you looked into our kibble bowl recently, Meowmy?
  • Cristina HenryCristina Henry AshburnMember Posts: 482
    edited 8 April, 2008
    Fake cats? I don't get it. Is someone suggesting that humans are creating catster pages with cats that don't really exist? If not, can someone explain what "fake cats" are?
    edited 8 April, 2008
    We really aren\'t sure. Someone posted on the answers board a while ago asking why \"we\" all thought they weren\'t real. That pretty much got a big \"huh?\" :-k from us all because to the best of our knowledge, we\'ve never called anyone \"fake\". I do admit that there was a photo of an orange and white kitty who asked a question a while ago that I wondered about. The photo of the kitty looked like it was off a greeting card. But anyway, this person has not posted again, so we\'re just left wondering. The most recent \"you gotta be kidding\" answer is the one about the \"GF\" and the enema and the tube that went into the wrong...umm...place. We all thought the guest poster meant she was trying to give the kitty the enema, but as one answerer put it, the poster never said it was A CAT, just said their \"GF\". Gosh, it\'s spring and all the \"unusual\" people seem to be coming up along with the crocuses and tulips...:?
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 8 April, 2008
    Thanks for starting off our day with a laugh - Boris, you are TOO funny. And when you move, PLEASE be sure to post and let us know how you can have a "cat free" bathroom? There is no such thing in our house!! MOL, MOL......... Always good to see you Ernie......hope you are enjoying spring. We have to agree, though, it does seem to bring out the "strange" people or else people with WAY too much free time. A couple of weeks ago there was a cat on a Forum who asked why people thought he was "fake" - you had posted in the Forum Ernie. Well, for one thing, when you clicked on the photo of any other cat who had posted, you were taken to their page. When you clicked on the photo of this cat, you were never directed to a page. Anyway, ya'll take care, keep your humans in line and don't let those cat food dishes stay empty for very long. MOL, MOL...:-h Benny Grunch, Emma Barrett, Louis Armstrong & Pete Fountain
    edited 8 April, 2008
    Hmph, maybe it\'s just my computer, but the \"enema\" question seems to have disappeared. Aw...:((
    edited 8 April, 2008
    And the original \"Fake Cat\" question seems to have disappeared as well. This only serves to further demonstrate the essential insubstantiality and transience of all earthly phenomena.
    edited 8 April, 2008
    I never saw the "fake cat" question, but I did see the "Enema" post which was really offensive. It was submitted under a guest login. I've noticed a lot of guest profiles submitting questions in the answer section. I guess there a lot of bored people out there.
  • Benji ThompsonBenji Thompson Member Posts: 7,380
    edited 8 April, 2008
    Fake cats? DOGS on Catster? :))! Please, someone, stand beside me to catch me if I fall over laughing!!! MOL!!!
  • James GardnerJames Gardner Member Posts: 32,197
    edited 8 April, 2008
    paper mache cats scare me ::o
  • Courtney O-Courtney O- LouisianaMember Posts: 6,793
    edited 8 April, 2008
    Fake cats are fur losers....If you can\'t stand the meowing, then stay out off of the catster! :D *thinks* Maybe if I smile really big they wont think that Im an alien in a cat suit!!!:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D ...Whew, that was a close one.:))!
  • edited 8 April, 2008
    I got a love letter from a peacock once. Oddly enough, HQ asked initially if I was offended by the attention...before realizing it was not a cat, I guess... meownaste
    edited 8 April, 2008
    Mom intends to keep all but one of the bathrooms cat free by never opening the doors when I am around. So basically I would know there are doors leading to somewhere, but would never see mom going through them. I doubt that's gonna work, too, but mom is gonna try it. Sometimes you just have to let your humans try and fail at things. How else are they going to realize the futility of a cat free anything? Mom and dad have never been into existentialism. They feel it is one step away from dualism, and they're not willing to go there. Me? I'm totally a solipsist. If my humans walk out that door, they cease existing for the duration of that. Once they come back in, they return to existence. Some say that humans continue to exist so long as the Great Cat can conceive of them, and therefore that means that my humans continue to exist even when they leave home. I have my doubts about that sometimes, though. I mean, it is the Great Cat, and he's supposed to be everywhere and anywhere at all times, but knowing for sure that it watches over my humans requires a sizable leap of faith. Besides, since mom refuses to allow me to give him daily TP offerings, how do I know the Great Cat even likes mom? :( I'm sorry, what were we talking about again?
    edited 9 April, 2008
    Mom intends to keep all but one of the bathrooms cat free by never opening the doors when I am around. So basically I would know there are doors leading to somewhere, but would never see mom going through them. I doubt that's gonna work, too, but mom is gonna try it. Sometimes you just have to let your humans try and fail at things. How else are they going to realize the futility of a cat free anything? Mom and dad have never been into existentialism. They feel it is one step away from dualism, and they're not willing to go there. Me? I'm totally a solipsist. If my humans walk out that door, they cease existing for the duration of that. Once they come back in, they return to existence. Some say that humans continue to exist so long as the Great Cat can conceive of them, and therefore that means that my humans continue to exist even when they leave home. I have my doubts about that sometimes, though. I mean, it is the Great Cat, and he's supposed to be everywhere and anywhere at all times, but knowing for sure that it watches over my humans requires a sizable leap of faith. Besides, since mom refuses to allow me to give him daily TP offerings, how do I know the Great Cat even likes mom? :( I'm sorry, what were we talking about again?
    edited 9 April, 2008
    Whoa, Boris, you\'ve beaten me for this week\'s deep thinker award. I think I\'ll back to my Zen meditation now.
    edited 9 April, 2008
    I know this is getting stale, but I keep wondering who sent in the enema question--some clueless young couple, or a12 year old boy who thought it was the height of humor? What\'s more to the point is, why would anyone send it to Catster, of all places? Surely it couldn\'t have been one of our own members going incognito...all I can say is that it looks like someone was dipping a little bit too heavily into the catnip.
    edited 9 April, 2008
    Spot, you might be right on that one. My intuition tells me that the "guest" posting that entry was most likely a kid. The kid might have been using the computer of Catster user. I can't see anyone on the Internet searching cat sites so they can put silly questions on it. ::o
    edited 10 April, 2008
    Harvey, a long time ago mom went to school and got a philosophy degree (but now she's going to school again, because apparently philosophers can't really make any money) and she still has a lot of books about it on her bookshelves. Let's just say that I have to find something else to do during the day other than climb on the toilet to get TP out of cabinets. I don't like this Locke guy and his theory of property, though. It would allow mommy to lock up her stuff so I don't use it if she doesn't want me to, and that does not particularly sit well with me. I mean, what if she puts the TP under lock and key? :-O