Fake Cats? Huh?

Comments

• Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 10 April, 2008
    Har har har, Boris, now I know why my Meowmy had to look up all those words (\"dualism,\" \"solipsist\")...And now it\'s \"Locke,\" \"theory of property,\" \"sit well with me\"...tee hee hee. My Meowmy (a long time ago, in a galaxy far, far away), studied Asian culture, which DID lead to a job, but she now regrets her decision (she\'d like to morph into a pathologist). No pleasing those humans.
    edited 10 April, 2008
    Sorry, forgot to add that Meowmy now wants to study pathology OR epidemiology. As for Locke...long ago, before we entered her life, she dated a guy who studied Locke, and, well, he was just too weird to continue a relationship with. Oops, wait a minute, I think she said it was HUME. Never mind.
  • Joy WaltersJoy Walters Member Posts: 9,276
    edited 10 April, 2008
    Hume Cronyn? Wasn\'t he married to Jessica Tandy? We\'re going to get yelled at for being off-topic. Oh, well, maybe the Cronyn\'s had lots of cats and hopefully never put the enema tubing in the wrong place? :-k
  • Tanya MundyTanya Mundy boulderMember Posts: 763
    edited 10 April, 2008
    boris -- Mommy is a Mistress or something, of "phislophy of religion". yet she cant tell me anything about Ceiling Cat and how he came to be. I think mommy spent way too much money, and alcohol in her "previous life" as a "philsophy grad student", especially since it meant we ate scraps, and expired food and she ate "ramen" what ever that is. Now, she has a nice respectable job as a Paralegal, and she gives us much better toys ! I did like DesCATS, though, and the german Emanuel Kat isn't bad. and the post modernists like Sartre actually kinda think like us cats... but not quite as enlightened !
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 10 April, 2008
    Mom doesn't like most continental philosophy that has come out in the 20th century, so no reading about existentialism or post-modernism around here (sorry, Horus), unless I develop opposable thumbs, so I can bypass mom's assistance and order books online :)). She made one lone exception for Foucault's "Discipline and Punish", but she found it kind of byzantine. She was more into straightforward analytic philosophy (and that was so long ago that even dad sometimes is perplexed by it: she's not analytic at all these days ;)). I just found it plain boring. As for Ceiling Cat, he is a false god compared to the Great Cat. Ceiling Cat can only spy one ceiling at a time, whereas the Great Cat sees all cats, all the time. That is because he is not corporeal, but an invisible cat of an indefinite size. That's where the toilet paper comes in. Some say that if you shred enough toilet paper at just the right time, the Great Cat will reveal itself to you. That's what supposed to happen. In effect, all that happens is that I get in trouble, and mom keeps taking mangled upon mangled rolls away from me. :( She tells dad that I am too alone and bored, so I need something called a little brother. I have no idea what that is. Is it kind of like having a sisfur (I had one as a kitten, and she was annoying and bossy)? Because I'm not sure that I want that, unless he becomes a minion of sorts. Anyway, we've veered off topic enough. My mom has two fake cats. One is something she calls a neko neko, it's some plastic thing whose head bobbles that sits on one of our bookshelves for right now. Dad got it for mom because she'd always see one in Japanese restaurants and wanted one of her own. The other is this little stuffed cat with a microchip inside that makes it sound like a real cat when mom squeezes its tummy. The first time I heard it, I thought it was a real kitten and tried to lick it to calm it down, but then I realized it was not alive and I got freaked out and hid from it. :r I thought mom would come console me, but she actually thought it was funny. Then daddy told her it really wasn't, from my POV, so nowadays mom doesn't play with it much. But I figured out it couldn't chase me around, so now I just get annoyed with it when it cries when I bump by it. :-/
    edited 10 April, 2008
    Well, if we\'re going to be yelled at for being off topic, we can always start a new thread--\"Feline Filosophy\" or some such. It certainly is interesting to learn how much of us on Catster have studied Human thought. Yawn...if only humans would learn that the only things that really mean anything in life are sleeping and eating. Especially sleeping. Well, back to meditating on today\'s Zen koan--\"What is the sound of one paw clapping.\"
    edited 11 April, 2008
    I totally agree that the enema post had to be a fake. I\'m embarrassed I answered it. :r I\'m wa-aa-ay too trusting. My grandpa always said that in the spring, the ground opens up and all the germs come out to infect everyone. Catster must not be immune! :?
  • edited 11 April, 2008
    We have been enjoying this tram of thought very much! Boris, the paper shredding seems more in keeping with buddhism...however it may also be the definition of doing the same thing and expecting a different result. If you don\'t form your own thread, you are all cordially invited to bring it to The Foreign Legion when you choose. You will find cats who will also follow with interest. We thrive on sporadic bursts of Filosophy. Which may be answered as a seeming non sequitur on another page... be bop cole
  • Darlene WagnerDarlene Wagner MilwaukeeMember Posts: 1,075
    edited 11 April, 2008
    Mommy says don't forget you can flag any post that is "nasty" in any way. She has done this before, and it works. We think some people just get a kick out of upsetting other people with nasty stuff or drama. She wishes she had the time they do because she would do better things than they are with it. She put in 60 plus hours a week at her job, and goes to school, runs the two-legged sister around, and still has time for Mysty and me. We want to know why these posters aren't doing more to be of help to others than spending all this time causing trouble. We have enough of that as it is!:-k
    edited 11 April, 2008
    Cleo, did you mean the enema poster or us? I hope you didn\'t mean us! :-O
    edited 12 April, 2008
    Yeah, Cleo. We're just trying to find ways to fill the void of spending part of the day without mommy Mom goes to school full time, works part time, and the rest of the time she's cleaning and packing. She plays with me, but never enough for me to be happy enough about it. Mom says it's because at heart I am a fuss budget. But she loves me anyway. :))
    edited 12 April, 2008
    NO NOT U GUYS!!! We mean those CRAZY posters-there has been MANY nasty ones including the enema one. They need to get a life if they are so bored that all they can do is post nasty stuff.
    edited 12 April, 2008
    As well as the fake cats that come to OUR home to get freebies and enter the contests...who has the time for all that crazy stuff? Sissy and I have our job to do, we have our rounds, make sure mommy gets up when she should, and we have to do all our grooming-the list goes on and on....why would anyone be so bored that they have to post nasty stuff or come on as a fake cat?
    edited 12 April, 2008
    I\'m glad you didn\'t mean us! And, you are right. I think it\'s time for all the Spring Breaks to be over and the kids to go back to school everywhere! ~a~
  • Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysMember Posts: 15,800
    edited 12 April, 2008
    I've never seen a Catster that I even suspected was fake.:-k
  • Natalie DetertNatalie Detert Milwaukee, WIMember Posts: 6,140
    edited 12 April, 2008
    Hi everycat, I couldn't help but notice your question regarding "fake cats". Unfortunately, this is true. I will not go into details, but I can assure you that there have been certain person or persons that took pictures of kitties from internet sites and made them as "real" cats. Several "cats" joined a group that my sisfurs belong to, and when it was discovered, it was furry, furry upsetting to all of the members. It has been addressed several times with HQ, which might explain why the post you are referring to was under a "guest". When HQ realizes the page is, so to speak, "not real", then it is removed and shows as "guest". We implore you that if, you notice a cat, that you may see as suspicious, do not confront the user and contact HQ immediately. I didn't mean to intrude on your conversation, but I just thought you'd like to know. Purrs.
  • Tiffany CarsonTiffany Carson St. MarysMember Posts: 15,800
    edited 12 April, 2008
    How could you be intruding when the forums are open to everyone? Thanks fur the info.:h:
    edited 12 April, 2008
    Well this topic is so upsetting to so many people, that I wanted to make sure that I didn't offend anycat.
    edited 13 April, 2008
    Mommy has had a few that she thinks are fake...the one main thing she finds is there is no real substance behind the cat. It is very "fluffy" no pun intended, information and talk-esp. for some VERY serious issues such as rainbow bridge.
    edited 13 April, 2008
    I know there are fakster catsters out there. I saw one photo of an orange and white kitty that I am SURE came right off a greeting card. And, once a young catster pm-ed me and said she didn\'t really have a cat because the \"rents\" wouldn\'t allow her to have one, but loved cats and wanted to join in our conversations, so she faked it. Felt sorry for her. :?
    edited 13 April, 2008
    I thinks that's part of the problem. When you give this cat, a reason to keep coming back, then all of a sudden more cats join in. The best course of action is to just ignore it. As a matter of fact, one of my sisfurs just got a pmail today, and well, it just doesn't seem right. We just don't respond. And Cleo is right, there have been some very serious issues with one certain group. Very sad. :((
    edited 13 April, 2008
    I am real, but my crown is fake (cheapskate Meowmy).
    edited 13 April, 2008
    Oh, Harvey, you\'re crown may be fake, but you are 100% fur real gorgeous! ~a~ I\'m sorry to hear that someone has abused a group in Catster. My experience has been that everyone here is kind, helpful and supportive. It\'s the place to go if you have a question, a \'gripe\" or need a shoulder. =;
    edited 13 April, 2008
    Thanks, Izzie. You\'re a pretty handsome fella yourself! And always there with good advice for everyone! %:D%
  • SterlingAndTheSTeamSterlingAndTheSTeam Mount OliveMember Posts: 41,262 ✭✭✭
    edited 13 April, 2008
    Oooooooo, there are some deep thinkers in this thread . . . very educational and enjoyable. =D> But on the subject of what you can do about fake cats on Catster: If it is an offending post, click on the notify button. Nothing will change in the thread but a copy of the offending post will be sent to the Administrative Bin where the Catster moderators will look at it and make a decision. If it is something simple, like removing a few offending words or phrases, a moderator will edit and repost. If the moderators feel they need additional discussion on the posted topic, HQ is brought into the picture to make a judgment. If you happen upon a cat\'s page that looks fake, again, you can click on the notify button. Again, nothing changes on the cat\'s page but your notification will go to HQ where someone will take a look at the page to confirm if the cat is fake. Also, if on a cat\'s page there are offending words, pictures, etc., click on the notify button and state your reasons so HQ knows what to look for. Depending on how busy HQ is, it sometimes takes a week to check things out. If after that time the offender hasn\'t been edited/removed, you can pmail a Catster moderator who will either tell you what the holdup is or check into where HQ is in their investigations. Catster moderator families are Beatrice Bruce and myself. Don\'t ever hesitate to contact any of us . . . that\'s why we\'re here . . . to keep Catster fun and friendly. ~a~
    edited 13 April, 2008
    Ah, Harvey, you're a bigger cat than I'll ever be. I am a pretty laid back guy, but try to put anything on me, and I will be fighting like mad. :-/
    edited 14 April, 2008
    Hey, Boris, I LIKE you! Anyone with a toilet-paper fetish and a philosophy scholar as their Human is MY kind of guy! Anyway, the only cat I ever hit is my sister Chibi (although I have been known to hiss). But no hisses to YOU, Boris! Peace! :D (Besides which, if I try to fight anybody, this stupid crown is going to fall off!)
    edited 14 April, 2008
    Many thanks to Beatrice, Bruce and Athena for their kind compliments on the topic I started about fake cats. As a basically trusting person, I couldn\'t believe someone would actually have so much time on their hands they would deliberately start trouble on any Catster Board or Forum. I\'ve heard of this happening on all those \"human\" boards, but couldn\'t believe it about Catster. I try very hard in my posts in answers and on the boards to be kind, understanding and helpful. It\'s a shame that there are people around who have to ruin it for everyone. But, it\'s a good thing that someone like the moderators are watching out. Harvey, you look so dashing in your crown. Unfortunately, I can\'t put anything, even collars on Delilah, Ernie or Izzie. And, being admired by Boris is really something, considering that in his profile pic he is defying gravity! I\'d like to remind everyone and ask them to please continue to keep Newmen and his family in your prayers and thoughts. He was hit by a car late last week and the last pmail from his mom wasn\'t hopeful. Thanks, guys.|:|
    edited 15 April, 2008
    Boris, my man--I just realized that I misread your post to mean that you\'d fight ME if I tried to \"put anything over\" on you. Now I realize you were actually praising me for my allowing my Human to humiliate me with this stupid crown! You must have been rather puzzled by my answer. All I can say is that my English skills are really going to seed. That\'s what happens when you\'re living in a multi-lingual family--you end up speaking a little bit of everything, but not well. Let\'s see, Meowmy speaks English and Japanese to us, and she is also quite fluent in Cat, although she speaks with a Siamese accent (apparently her former cats had some kind of Asian blood that made their meows sound like a human baby crying). We understand everything she says, but answer back mostly in Maine Coon (Spot speaks Japanese Moggy). Anyway, your gravity-defying skills beat my crown any day! ;c;
  • Jenny FirthJenny Firth ChicoMember Posts: 772
    edited 15 April, 2008
    I don\'t believe I have ever met a fake cat on Catster, but if I did I wouldn\'t know... I guess at some point we have to stop and wonder if maybe the cat we are happily meowing to is perhaps a-- *pauses and shutters* a--a D-O-G! ::o But I trust all of you Catsters. :D I can promise you that I am real! If you want I\'ll even let you in on a secret of mine... my meowmy does my typing for me. :r I just tell her what to put. Hooray for a whole bunch of real cats, only at CATSTER! ~a~;c;~a~