surprised only a litter of 2

mildred bowlesmildred bowles Member Posts: 13
edited 14 May, 2008 in Kitten Corner
i.ve just had 2 kittens, about 5 hours ago now, i was surprised there was only 2, is this quite normal. this is my 3rd litter (i will be going vets this time no more kittys lol) my 1st litter i had 4, 2nd i had 5 but i lost 2 :(

Comments

• Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 10 May, 2008
    How frequently is she having litters? The more litters a cat has, especially frequent ones, the less her body will be likely to support large litters. If you don't mind my asking, is there a reason this kitty is not spayed yet?
  • mildred bowlesmildred bowles Member Posts: 13
    edited 10 May, 2008
    this is her 3rd litter, her last litter was september last year so i should have got her done really, but i will make sure she goes to get spayed as soon as possible this time, i no its not fair on her to have any more.
  • Maggie BussaMaggie Bussa Member Posts: 191
    edited 10 May, 2008
    Some kittys may only have 2. It is a blessing that there were so few....especially if she lost some in larger litters. She may not be able to carry more of them.
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    edited 10 May, 2008
    Small litters do happen. There was only one other kitten in my litter, my sister, so my litter was only 2 as well. There were only 3 kittens total in my \"brother\" Mr. Fez\'s litter. Congratulations and hope momma and babies are doing well. Glad to hear she will be spayed and hope she does well with the surgery.
    edited 10 May, 2008
    i'm glad shes only got the 2, its like the 2 she lost in last litter have come back for a second go. mum is doing great.
  • Briar PBriar P Member Posts: 39
    edited 10 May, 2008
    this is normal,just like in people. it depends on how many eggs were released,and how many survived to the point of implantation,ext. but congrats on the new babies! what color is momma,daddy(if you know who daddy is),and babies??,pics please! xD my Jasmine has had several litters of the ones I know about went,4,3,3,3,6 and then 5(her current 2 weeks olds) there was one of two litters of hers I never found :(,I believe the kittens died becuase she never brought them out,my Gizmo was from a litter of 3,Jasmine is his momma:c9..I like bigger litters because theres more the kitten fun xD,but it is harder on momma,the two will be easier for her,and YOU xD,to keep up with as they grow what are you going to do with the babies when they're older??
    edited 11 May, 2008
    i'm not sure yet, hopefully will find a home that will have both of them, i'll get some pics, can you put photos on here? or in my profile?
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 11 May, 2008
    It's Queenie. Since I seem to come from a litter of two, I can't say there is anything wrong with that! But are you sure that she is finished having kittens and that there is not one stuck inside? Always a good idea to check. Our Momcat had two litters in one year and the second one was just us two. She disappeared when we were about 7 weeks old, and we think that a coyote got her, but she was worn out by being a mom. She was a beautiful, smart kitty and a good mother and we all miss her so much. Purrs to you on your litter of little sweeties! =D>
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 12 May, 2008
    My sisfur Emma and I were only two in a litter. We don't know who our mommy or daddy were. At the age of two weeks we were left at an animal hospital and hand raised by one of the staff members. You can post photos of the kittens in your profile. Good for you that your humans will have you spayed as soon as the kittens are weaned. Can't wait to see photos!!!|:| Emma Barrett, Louis Armstrong, Benny Grunch & Pete Fountain
  • Roxann RobbinsRoxann Robbins Member Posts: 3,268
    edited 12 May, 2008
    My daughter Mystery was an only kitten. I was really fat and looked like it would be a large litter...and only ONE! She was small too. I had jugs of milk to my knees so she got fed a LOT. She's bigger than me now =) Congrats on the babies. Headbons, Tuesday and Mysty
  • ashley gillashley gill Member Posts: 526
    edited 12 May, 2008
    Our foster cat Wednesday, was huge when we took her in. I thought 3-5 kittens for sure. But she only had two little tuxedo kittens:? It\'s completly normal. I\'m glad your getting her spayed though it\'s healthier for momma and you clearly love her;c;
    edited 12 May, 2008
    we've just looked on your profile,your Freyas babies are gorgious!,one kitten looks almost identical to Sicily when she was born,and do I spy a classic tabby baby too?,or is it just a tiger tabby with really thick stripes??,either way they are beutiful,I miss my 5 being that little,momma is a pretty girl too!~a~
  • Amber SimmonAmber Simmon Member Posts: 2,703
    edited 14 May, 2008
    I'd say it's normal. I've witnessed a lot of cats giving birth throughtout the years and have seen as few as one and as many as NINE in one litter.
    edited 14 May, 2008
    just checking in xD,how are the babies doing today,momma?
  • christine graychristine gray spanawayMember Posts: 136
    edited 14 May, 2008
    i dont think its something to be worried about.Before Hershy was altered she had only 1 kitten but it died because she wasnt a very good mother.