What does your name mean?

Amber PaineAmber Paine Member Posts: 67
edited 26 May, 2008 in Other Meows & Purrs
Hello everyone! What does your special name mean? I am named after Snowpuff (RIP), who was named after Snowy (RIP). Also \"ciara\" (Irish spelling) means dark and snow is white... so I\'m Sierra Sno - black and white! I\'d love to hear what your name means! Maybe it will help me feel a little better. :^:

Comments

• melissa muttermelissa mutter West ChesterMember Posts: 10,189
    edited 18 May, 2008
    My name means sunshine in in the ancient language of Sanskrit! Purrs to you and your people Sierra Sno!
  • melissa muttermelissa mutter West ChesterMember Posts: 10,189
    edited 18 May, 2008
    My name is Greek for young green shoot! Purring for you and your people Sierra Sno!
  • Amber PaineAmber Paine Member Posts: 67
    edited 18 May, 2008
    Very cool names so far! |^| I\'m Twinkle Star, named after North Star, my big brother (sort of)! And Sierra\'s my big sister (sort of).
  • Olja AvlijasOlja Avlijas Belgrade, SerbiaMember Posts: 1,991
    edited 18 May, 2008
    My name is very old.....It has Etruscan origin. Then it was Latin name (Sergius), then Greek ( Sergio), and Russian Sergei! Sergei means “high standing, highly esteemed” in Latin. But it also refers to servant, because of the one Roman officer who became servant etc. Anyway, it is widely spread through Easter Europe, and my mommy really likes it!! :D:D
  • Donna McJimseyDonna McJimsey LockportMember Posts: 8
    edited 18 May, 2008
    My name is Oksana and it means Welcoming in Ukranian----i got named this b/c mommy won a bet and daddy lost!! Mommy got it from the movie Borat!!!! ~a~
  • Lissa NicholsonLissa Nicholson SydneyMember Posts: 1,562
    edited 19 May, 2008
    Sierra Sno, you are very beautiful! I'm not sure what my name means, but I was named after a Tongan rugby league player! His name is Fuifui Moimoi too!:)):))
  • Faye DufourFaye Dufour Destrehan, LA/New Orleans areaMember Posts: 4,648
    edited 19 May, 2008
    All of us are named after famous New Orleans musicians. Emma Barrett played Jazz piano and wore bells around her ankles that jingled as she played. Her nickname was "Emma the Bell Girl" . We are sure everyone has heard of Louis Armstrong who played jazz trumpet and known world wide, and Pete Fountain, who plays clarinet and for many years played with the band on the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson. Benny Grunch is a local musician, and you can visit his website at www.bennygrunch.com (VERY FUNNY!!). This is fun to find out what other cats names mean and how they got them. Actually, meowmy said she should have named us Rotten, Rottener, Rottinest and Totally Rotten, MOL, MOL...:))!:))! But we know that is true for ALL the cats on CATSER. Emma Barrett, Louis Armstrong, Pete Fountain and Benny Grunch
  • Tanya MundyTanya Mundy boulderMember Posts: 763
    edited 19 May, 2008
    Fuifui Moimoi -- are you sure he wasn't named for YOU??? we all know cats are much more important thatn hoo-mans! I lost my eye before mommy got me, and my name at the shelter was "herman". what a stupid name. Now, I'm the Sun God,Horus who gave his eye away for something or the other to do with Osirus. His eye that he gave away is the isolated eye you see on all the pyramid walls. wonde r if that's where my eye is, too. Sophia Marie never got a special name. she's just named what the shelter named her. And Dulci is really Dulcineia from Don Quhiote. Cause she's such an elegant lady, but at the same time she's a totally 'pet slut" for anyone who will pet her!
  • Valerie DurhamValerie Durham Member Posts: 8,724
    edited 19 May, 2008
    I think Horus\' name is SO fitting, and that he\'s SUCH a handsome kitty. Go, Horus! ;c; Actually, all of us are here under pseudonyms. The three Maine Coons have long names preceded and followed by cattery names, and the two girls are named after women who died insane (Meowmy has strange tastes). Chibi, however, is really called Chibi. :D
    edited 19 May, 2008
    ...Forgot to add that Chibi means \"runt\" in Japanese. That\'s because she\'s the youngest in the family and still the smallest (although as of yesterday she was 8.3 pounds!). :-h
  • DONNA KELLY-BIRCHDONNA KELLY-BIRCH kenoshaMember Posts: 1,018
    edited 19 May, 2008
    My Mama fostered me before she adopted me, so we sometimes get silly names in an attempt to be different. They adopt out almost 1,000 cats a year, so names need to be as nonrepeating and unique as possible. My siblings and I were the first kitties Mama named, and she named us all after characters in the novel Dracula. My brother Vlad was named for Dracula himself, my sister Mina was named for the lady he was after, and I was named for one of the men who tried to rescue her. By the time Mama knew she was keeping me, I already knew my name. Oh well, at least it IS different from all the others.
    edited 19 May, 2008
    I was also fostered by Mama, and she noticed I looked like I was smiling all the time. All she could think of was \"Smiley\" which she knew was kinda horrible. Her friend and fellow foster came over and said - \"Name her Mona Lisa\". Mama usually drops the Lisa part when she calls me though.
    edited 19 May, 2008
    Oh, I thought Quincy was named after Quincy House at Harvard...
    edited 19 May, 2008
    I was also fostered by Mama, and she was trying to think of a common theme to name me and my brothers and sisters. Well, then her friend came over, saw the back of my ears, and said that I looked like I had bunny ears. Well that blew Mama\'s theme, but she named me Bunny anyways. :D She never calls me that though, always Bun Bun or Bun.
  • Darlene WagnerDarlene Wagner MilwaukeeMember Posts: 1,075
    edited 19 May, 2008
    It means covered with a mist
  • Darlene WagnerDarlene Wagner MilwaukeeMember Posts: 1,075
    edited 19 May, 2008
    It means to Praise, Acclaim
  • Heidi HessenHeidi Hessen Acworth/KennesawMember Posts: 975
    edited 19 May, 2008
    My name "Zoe" means LIFE. Mom says it suits me to a tee!!!
  • Sandi MahanaSandi Mahana Member Posts: 4,011
    edited 19 May, 2008
    :-k I'm not sure what my name means.
  • Shelley CoxShelley Cox CarbondaleMember Posts: 2,752
    edited 19 May, 2008
    This is Delyte. I am named after a former president of Southern Illinois University, because I was found in the parking lot of the library named after him, and because I was a delightful kitten!
    edited 19 May, 2008
    It's Stella. I have a star-shaped pattern on my tummy [now rather blurred by my long plushy fur] so my person named me Stella Felinis, Star of the cats. My pushy personality had nothing to do with it, nothing at all! :r
    edited 19 May, 2008
    It's Queenie. I am so named because I was a born top cat! And because I was a little top cat, and still am kind of small. Fluff was mistakenly named since he was the fluffiest kitten, but he has grown out of that into a very sleek, long bony kitten, but he still answers to it so we are not going to change it. He is sort of a doofus kitty, too, and has also been called Bunny Belly because he still has lots of soft fur on his tummy.
  • FelixFelix Member Posts: 45,573 ✭✭✭
    edited 19 May, 2008
    Mom named me after one of her favorite cartoon characters, Felix the Cat. And "Felix" is the Latin word for "happy," which suits my personality - laid back, affectionate, and - happy!
  • Lissa NicholsonLissa Nicholson SydneyMember Posts: 1,562
    edited 20 May, 2008
    Horus, that is funny that you said that. Mum and Dad have started to think that way, that the man was named after the cat! They say it is because I am the most important Fuifui they know%:D% So now when they see the man Fui, they think 'oh, he is named Fui too', even though that's where they got my name from!!
  • Olja AOlja A EuropeMember Posts: 330
    edited 20 May, 2008
    Heh, Mrvica -it's a Serbian word and hmmmm the best translation to English would be : tiny, or small . I was named like that, because i was a lot smaller than my brother. Hmm, i like mythological names - so Horus is pretty to me!! :-h
  • edited 20 May, 2008
    Mutchka means cat in Hungarian. My Grandmommy is Hungarian so Mommy let her name me, since she found me. So therefore, she named me an easy name, easy for her to remember, and that was Mutchka (much-ca)!! Mommy loves my name though!! =;~a~] Mutchka♥♥
  • Olja AOlja A EuropeMember Posts: 330
    edited 20 May, 2008
    heheh, mutchka - it's so similar to serbian pronunciation of the cat, only it's said matchka, a instead of u :D nice name though!:-h
  • Janet WestJanet West StroudMember Posts: 2,239
    edited 21 May, 2008
    Hi, hallo, Tambolina here...... My human person's male person named me Tambolina, after 'Mambo' his beloved old cat....had to have the 'ambo' in the name.....and Rambo was not appropriate for a girl!!! But I must tell you the story of my 'brother' Colin's name.......My human people originally called him Cuchulain.....his full name is Cuchulain Cavmere.....they wanted to call him Cuchulain (a mythical Irish warrior-hero) because they wanted him to grow big and strong....then they found out that in Irish Cuchulain is pronounced 'Coo-hulan', which then became 'Coolan' which then became (you've guessed it......) Colin......I don't know if this is funny in Americanese......but in England 'Colin the Cat' makes everyone smile........ We are sorry that he has lost his heroic status......but he is known as 'Collywobbles' which suits him much better........ Many kisses Tambolina (my female human person wanted to call me Bouddica, but my male human person was dead-set on Tambolina....so here I am.....!!!!) love you Tambolina
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 21 May, 2008
    Aw man, you guys have great stories for your names. Mom says that foster mom named me, after one of the villains in Rocky and Bullwinkle. See there were only two of us in my litter, tiny me, and long and lean sister Natasha (I didn't get big until I was an adolescent kitty). So we became Boris and Natasha. Mom found out later that "Boris" means "small" in Russian (which again she should have guessed from the whole "Boris and Natasha" deal), but dad says that the name "Boris" makes him think "big, tall, and red headed". I think I'll stick with dad's version. ;)
  • Ocean SaintOcean Saint Member Posts: 3
    edited 26 May, 2008
    I guess I was really named after George Clooney's role as Danny Ocean. Funny though, I love water too. Maybe it was sign..maybe....~a~ Girls and there Hollywood crushes on actors these days....
  • Jamie HarveyJamie Harvey ElginMember Posts: 10
    edited 26 May, 2008
    My name is Frankie. My grandma picked it out cause i had pretty blue eyes, and it made her think of Frank Sanatra. My brother's name is Al. and that's short for Allergies cause my mom's allergic to cats. And my other brother's name is Buba. For two reasons my mom loves the movie Forrest Gump and she new he was going to be a little chunky even when he was a baby.