Going green

Jennifer FalveyJennifer Falvey Member Posts: 249
edited 28 May, 2008 in Other Meows & Purrs
I have a very small apartment and a kitty that needs her litter box cleaned daily, no exceptions. I usually put her old litter in grocery store bags, but I am using 7+ grocery bags a week, which isn\'t very environmental. Does anyone have any green suggestions on kitty litter waste? I need to be careful that any suggestions do not make my apartment smell. Thanks for any ideas you may have!

Comments

• Tanya MundyTanya Mundy boulderMember Posts: 763
    edited 26 May, 2008
    I would use a clumping litter, and collect it in the baggy for 3 or 4 days, with that baggy inside a regular trash bag to retain the smell.
  • edited 26 May, 2008
    The cat mother does pretty much as Dulci says...grocery bags which go into the bigger garbage bag which goes out every other day or so... But the garbage company says only plastic bags; we are in a bind with this, as are dog owners who carry bags to pick up. The cat mother says that a high protein food means less poop coming out, but there's still the other. Good luck! -Jacques
  • Beastie_and_the_BoysBeastie_and_the_Boys Marquette, MI / ChicagoMember Posts: 17,806 ✭✭✭
    edited 26 May, 2008
    Our mom occasionally buys litter in the big plastic tubs and then uses an empty one lined with a bag to store the dirty stuff for a few days until she can haul it out. The lids usually seal well enough to contain most of the smell. She will use the same one until it gets kind of stinky, then she throws it in the recycling and buys another tub. In between, she usually buys our litter in cardboard boxes.
  • Jennifer FalveyJennifer Falvey Member Posts: 249
    edited 26 May, 2008
    A friend suggested a diaper genie. I am not a parent and have never used one before, but in my mind, it would not work. Does anyone have first hand experience with one? Would that work?
  • Tanya MundyTanya Mundy boulderMember Posts: 763
    edited 27 May, 2008
    When i've browsed the more "elite" (read, expesnive) online pet stores, i have seen "diaper jeanies" specifically for cats. you might find one, but i'm not convienced they are overly "green"> :-)
  • AshPoGusAshPoGus AlbuquerqueMember Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭
    edited 27 May, 2008
    For cats, there's a Litter Locker, similar to a diaper genie: http://www.litterlocker.com/ You can watch a video on that site. It uses plastic in a long roll -- a tube, actually, that's all scrunched up into a cartridge. Open the lid of the Litter Locker, scoop the poopies into the tube of plastic, turn the handle and the plastic pulls out of the cartridge and winds around a wheel, until the part with the poopy is wound tight enough to lock it -- and its odor -- away. So after you buy the Litter Locker, you also have to buy the cartridges with the plastic in it, and they cost about $10 each. I have a Litter Locker, but only my poopies go in it, one a day, and one cartridge lasts about 45 days -- or 45 turns of the wheel. I'm sure my poopies don't stink :)) so Mom only empties it every 3-4 weeks. I don't use clumping litter, but if litter clumps were put in it, it would have to be emptied more often and I think it would use up a cartridge pretty fast. It's pretty effective for containing the odor, but it's not green.
  • Gimli_TGMGimli_TGM HurstMember Posts: 29,929 ✭✭
    edited 27 May, 2008
    My mom does the same thing that Arthur's mom does!
  • Jennifer FalveyJennifer Falvey Member Posts: 249
    edited 28 May, 2008
    Thanks for the ideas! That litter locker looks intriguing...I may have to keep that in mind. I used to do what Arthur does with keeping it in a big cat litter tub, but Abby doesn't like that brand of litter. I guess I could buy a 5 gallon bucket, but don't really want to look at it in my living room. Again, thanks for the ideas.