best litter?

Nikki ChattooNikki Chattoo NorfolkMember Posts: 91
edited 23 July, 2008 in Grooming
My cat Pixie will only pee in the same spot and its drivng me nuts. I normaly don't scoop out every day but usually every other day and its horrible because i use clumping tidy cats but because she pees it one spot it often falls apart and creates a huge stinky mess. Would it be better if i cleaned everyday or should i try a different litter?

Comments

• Tara WTara W St. PaulMember Posts: 939
    edited 13 July, 2008
    Definitely scoop every day! Also I find that it helps if you rotate the box around to keep it from getting too yucky in that one spot. Personally I don't like all the dust and smell of a litter like Tidy Cats. We use wood pellets for litter which works awesome and is soooooooo much cheaper than using litters you buy at the store. Menards just had a sale on wood pellets and we bought 40 lbs for $3.48. We have six litter boxes going and that will easily last two months.
  • Leanne FroebelLeanne Froebel Member Posts: 1,730
    edited 13 July, 2008
    I agree - definately scoop every day (or even twice a day)! Also, you might add another litterbox. You should technically have one litterbox per cat + one. So if you have one cat you really should have 2 litterboxes, 2 cats should have 3, ect. We use Dr. Elsy's Precious Cat Ultra cat litter for multiple cats and love it. It clumps hard, controls odor well, and is low dust.
  • Nastassia YalleyNastassia Yalley sherman OaksMember Posts: 39
    edited 14 July, 2008
    arm & hammer works great for us! one time my mom bought cheap johnny cat and I showed my unhappiness by peeing on the bathroom carpet lol.
  • T JT J Member Posts: 36
    edited 14 July, 2008
    We love The World's Best Cat Litter (it lives up to its name!). My kitties also pee in the same spot, and they have a covered box, so it can't be rotated. I just try to scoop daily. As far as the number of litter boxes, I've also heard of the rule that you should have as many litterboxes as the the number of cats + 1. However, my 2 cats have shared one litterbox with no problems at all.
  • Renee WatsonRenee Watson Member Posts: 563 ✭✭
    edited 15 July, 2008
    Vincent, we use World's Best too and just love it! It's perfume-free, clumps hard, is flushable and very little dust. Also, unlike clumping clay litters, it presents no risk if you ingest some of it. It's kinda pricey, but it lasts a loooong time. There are 3 of us and 3 boxes. We agree that boxes should be scooped at least once a day. Our mama is neurotic and scoops once before she goes to work and once before she goes to bed....but once would probably be sufficent to keep us happy! Purrs & headbonks! Pedro
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 15 July, 2008
    Pedro, meowmy says that she's the same way. She notices we are happier cats if the litter boxes are cleaned twice a day. Dad isn't too keen on cleaning all that often (he claims that creates fastidious cats, as if he knew from experience), so meowmy bought one of those rolling boxes to entice dad to help out more.
  • Renee WatsonRenee Watson Member Posts: 563 ✭✭
    edited 15 July, 2008
    MOL Storm!!! Fastidious IS the nature of us cats to begin with, isn't it? ;) Headbonks, Pedro
  • Nikki ChattooNikki Chattoo NorfolkMember Posts: 91
    edited 15 July, 2008
    I can't turn the box because it is enclosed but i am going to scoop everynight. I cleaned the box yesterday and refilled the litter and last night it was alot easier to clean. Are wood chips safe? And how is the odor? Thanks for all the info everyone!
  • Annalisa Conserti-JonesAnnalisa Conserti-Jones Member Posts: 5,234
    edited 16 July, 2008
    We are using feline pine scoopable. It's kind of like wood chips. We switched to it recently. Meowmy likes that the dust is not as powerful, but Boris... Boris misses his odor absorbing litter. He's really peculiar about sniffing to make sure there's no scent left behind. So mom might start mixing some baking soda in there to appease Boris.
  • Tina BTina B Vancouver IslandMember Posts: 2,238
    edited 16 July, 2008
    We use Natures Miracle, its ok for scent and it doesnt track and has NO Dust whatsover, and clumps pretty good. =;
  • Chrysee HinshawChrysee Hinshaw Member Posts: 474
    edited 17 July, 2008
    I just switched to Feline Pine (the original, not clumping) from Arm and Hammer. Arm and Hammer was a pretty good litter, but very dusty and the vets thought Atrus might be allergic to it. The cattery we got him from used Feline Pine, so now I use that and I really like it. It has excellent odor control and he doesn't kick it around all over the place like with his old litter. Solids are a little awkward to remove because the pellets are so large.. but it's flushable too so that's a plus.
  • VM PetrackVM Petrack Waterford (Erie)Member Posts: 145
    edited 18 July, 2008
    Feline Pine (original not scoopable) is what we use too. We tried all kinds of different litters but have found that Feline Pine is the absolute best when it comes to urine odor control (as in there is absolutely no odor at all). Flushing solid waste is a huge plus. We use just one large litter box for the two (big) cats without any problems either. I have heard that wood pellets (used in pellet burning stoves) are exactly the same thing as Feline Pine at a much lower cost. Is this true???
  • Kat WhickerKat Whicker ToledoMember Posts: 1,695
    edited 19 July, 2008
    we like swheat scoop. its clumpable and cuts down on the pee smell. i personally did not care for feline pine pellets or scoopable. and normal clay burns my eyes. so thats our pick
  • Sue KaufmannSue Kaufmann CranfordMember Posts: 1,465
    edited 20 July, 2008
    We like Swheat Scoop, too. It clumps up really nicely, and there's no smell, except when Westside has stinky poo.
  • Sue KaufmannSue Kaufmann CranfordMember Posts: 1,465
    edited 20 July, 2008
    *laying on floor, paws over head, attempting to hide*
  • Stephanie ChangtuStephanie Changtu MiamiMember Posts: 1,175
    edited 22 July, 2008
    I use Fresh Step Clay with Baking Soda added
  • josie avilajosie avila Ridgewood, NYMember Posts: 48
    edited 23 July, 2008
    I just picked up a 40 lb plastic can of Fresh Step (dark colored) at my local BJ's Wholesale store and its GREAT!! It clumps urine so well, they look like patties when I scoop them up and the litter box doesn't reek of urine either. I had no idea that Fresh Step has 3 different litters. The one I had been using is the one with partial crystals (light to white colored) but that litter didn't clump urine well at all and the litter box would stink up pretty quickly after 4 days even with me cleaning the box twice a day. They have another that I saw at BJ's that was all crystals (mostly blue colored) but I wasn't sure if my cats would like it since it looked like something out of a sci-fi movie, lol. I'm happy with the discovery of this new litter from Fresh Step and I plan on using it for sometime ~a~
  • josie avilajosie avila Ridgewood, NYMember Posts: 48
    edited 23 July, 2008
    Ok, after looking up Fresh Steps website, I am now using the Clay version of their litter. I had been using the scoopable version which did NOT contain odor as well as they advertise. The clay version so far is wonderful except that since my cat pees on the same spot, the clay sticks very hard to the bottom of the closed litter box I have but otherwise, I really like this litter. I'm going to try and pick up the crystal version of their litter this week and see how that goes since they advertise it to be better than clay litter. I hope my cats like it since it looks like pieces of blue colored rock, lol :)).